College Podcast: Indiana Shortstop Jeremy Houston Joins The Show
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by MyBookie and Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy are joined by Indiana shortstop Jeremy Houston to discuss how he approached a spring and summer without baseball, his long career at Indiana and how he leads as a fifth-year senior.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
The Baseball America Podcast is presented by MyBookie, where you can bet NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, Major League Baseball, UFC and then some! New customers now can double their deposit simply by entering the promo code BASEBALLAMERICA when signing up.
Houston stepped on the Indiana campus prior to the 2017 season, earned the starting shortstop job as a freshman and has stayed on the field ever since. A talented defensive player, he provides the Hoosiers value with his glove work, his athleticism and quality at-bats, even if his offensive numbers don't stand out right away.
In his career, he's known nothing but success at IU, with the team getting to regionals in all three full seasons he's played, even as the program went through a coaching change from Chris Lemonis to Jeff Mercer, and the Hoosiers were on that track again in 2020.
In 2021, Houston will look to be a leader on a veteran team that should once again be one of the best in the Big Ten.
Among the topics discussed in this episode are:
- Houston's thought process after the season was canceled in the spring and he was granted another season of eligibility
- What he focused on during the summer
- How close the 2020 Indiana team was and the disappointment of not seeing the season through
- How the program kept on track during the coaching change from Lemonis to Mercer
- What kind of leader he is and how he sees himself leading now that he's a fifth-year player
- What has him excited about the 2021 season
- What he has been watching on TV these days
- 2020 draftee Ed Howard and other great athletes to come out of Mt. Carmel High School
- What he puts on his sandwich