WooSox Reveal Initial Group Of Uniforms
Even in a year without baseball, one minor league team has given its fans nine more reasons to look forward to 2021.
On Monday, the Worcester Red Sox (WooSox) unveiled the nine jerseys and hats they'll be wearing once they take the field at Polar Park for the first time in 2021.
“We look forward with eager anticipation to the proud name of Worcester adorning our jerseys both at home and on the road,” WooSox president Dr. Charles A. Steinberg said. “Just imagine: from Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester down to Norfolk, Charlotte, and Georgia, and into such midwest cities as Columbus, Louisville, and Indianapolis, the city’s name will become a presence throughout the Americana of America.
The unveiling took place at an intersection overlooking center field at Polar Park and was done by construction workers helping assemble the stadium, as well as former Red Sox players Steve Lyons, Oil Can Boyd, Lenny DiNardo and Ryan O'Rourke.
The nine jersey styles were as follows.
1. The Classic Worcester Whites—first revealed Sept. 17, 2018—displayed the name of the city in red letters, along with a navy cap bearing the Classic Worcester W in red—all in the original Red Sox font.
2. The Beautiful Worcester Reds with the city seal on the sleeve—first revealed Nov. 12, 2019, when the club retired No. 6—show the name of the city in white letters in the Red Sox font, accompanied by a navy cap and red bill, featuring the heart-shaped W in red.
3. The Navy Worcester Blues, making their debut, feature the name of the city in white on navy, again using the Red Sox font. The jersey, which can be worn at home or on the road, was shown with a red cap and navy bill, featuring the Classic Worcester W in navy, again in the Red Sox font.
4. The Classic Red Sox Whites—showing the continuity of the Boston Red Sox, the Pawtucket Red Sox, and now the Worcester Red Sox—were shown with the navy cap and red bill and featuring the classic Worcester W in red, in the Red Sox font.
5. The Vibrant WooSox Reds, bearing in white script the team’s nickname for the first time, were shown with the navy cap and red bill, featuring the heart-shaped W in red.
New Mound Distance, Modified DH Among Atlantic League Rule Changes For 2021
The Atlantic League is moving back the mounds at the request of MLB halfway through the season, and this time it really means it.
6. The WooSox Whites were introduced with the team’s nickname in red script, shown with an all red cap featuring the heart-shaped W in white.
7. After the WooSox Reds and WooSox Whites, the WooSox Blues were unveiled in navy, featuring the WooSox script in red—shown with a navy cap and red bill, featuring the heart-shaped W in red.
8. The fun batting practice Jerseys in navy with a red heart-shaped W (that can also be worn in games) bear the insignia of the WooSox’s mascot and Worcester’s native son, Smiley Ball. The jersey was accompanied by a navy cap that also bears the image of Smiley Ball—intended to be a hit with kids of all ages.
9. The Classic Road Grays, batting ninth, and worn only on the road, showcase the name of the city boldly in red. This jersey was shown with the traditional navy cap with the heart-shaped W.