College Podcast: Nebraska's Will Bolt Looks Ahead to 2021
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy are joined by Nebraska coach Will Bolt to discuss what he learned about his team in 2020, what made Leighton Banjoff an immediate contributor as a freshman, what to expect from Spencer Schwellenbach this coming season and what he learned from observing mentors like Dave Van Horn, Rob Childress and Darin Erstad.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
Last season, the Cornhuskers finished with a relatively modest 7-8 record, but it's important to note that they played an extremely difficult schedule that included series against Baylor and Arizona State, and individual games against San Diego, San Diego State and Arizona.
Going into 2021, Nebraska looks to have an offense that should be one of the best in the Big Ten, led by Schwellenbach, Banjoff and Texas A&M transfer outfielder Logan Foster. After putting up a 5.94 team ERA last season, there are more questions about the pitching staff, but the addition of New Mexico State transfer righthander Chance Hroch can only help in that regard.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- How excited Bolt is to be so close to the start of the 2021 season
- What he learned about his team in the shortened 2020 season
- The key to Leighton Banjoff's early success
- What he has seen from Spencer Schwellenbach in the last year and his future as a two-way contributor
- What to expect from Logan Foster this coming season
- How excited the staff is to have Chance Hroch in the rotation
- What keeps Bolt coming back to Lincoln, as he was also a player in the program and served two stints as an assistant coach before taking over as head coach
- What he learned in his time playing for Dave Van Horn and serving as an assistant under Rob Childress and Darin Erstad