Podcast: UCF Coach Greg Lovelady On Fall Practice, 2021
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by MyBookie and Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy are joined by Central Florida coach Greg Lovelady to discuss his team's hot start to the 2020 season, keeping that momentum going into next season, fall practice and his favorite sandwich.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
The Baseball America Podcast is presented by MyBookie, where you can bet NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, Major League Baseball, UFC and then some! New customers now can double their deposit simply by entering the promo code BASEBALLAMERICA when signing up.
The Knights jumped out to a quick start in 2020, ending the season 15-3, including a sweep of Auburn, and emerging as the new favorite in the American Athletic Conference. The cancellation of the rest of the season prevented UCF from making good on some of the promise it showed, but the team returning in 2021 could be poised for big things again.
Large swaths of the most prominent players from last season are back, including spark plug outfielder Gephry Pena, the power-hitting Jordan Rathbone and left-handed starter Colton Gordon. The Knights also added a couple of proven arms through the transfer portal in former Jacksonville righthander A.J. Jones and righthander Kenny Serwa from Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
Among the topics discussed with Lovelady on this episode are:
- What clicked for UCF early in the 2020 season
- How to build on what the pitching staff did in 2020
- How to evaluate fit when bringing in players from the transfer portal
- The top returning offensive pieces for 2021
- How UCF is approaching the unique challenge of fall practice
- Lovelady's finance degree from Miami, whether he ever intended to go that route in his career and how it helps him in his coaching career
- The impact legendary Miami coach Jim Morris had on him as a player and coach
- His favorite sandwich and missing Cuban food in Miami