College Podcast: Previewing Week 4
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy preview the fourth weekend of action around college baseball.
While the ACC and Big Ten march on with conference play, there are also a few notable nonconference series on the docket this time around.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Player FM
Here are the series previewed on this episode:
- No. 3 Vanderbilt traveling to play No. 19 Oklahoma State at new O'Brate Stadium. The Cowboys go into the weekend with a sub-2.00 ERA. That makes for an interesting matchup with a Vanderbilt offense that has swung the bats well so far this season. On the flip side, Kumar Rocker, Jack Leiter and the rest of the Commodores pitching staff will be a challenge for an OSU lineup that hasn't completely gotten going, especially with injuries to shortstop Hueston Morrill and outfielder Carson McCusker.
- No. 20 Texas hosting No. 10 South Carolina. The Gamecocks have had one of the most impressive starts to the season of anyone. Their pitching staff will look to continue to hold down a Texas offense that is still dealing with growing pains. Meanwhile, the powerful South Carolina lineup will face a tough test against Ty Madden and the rest of the Longhorns' pitchers.
- No. 13 Boston College taking on No. 15 Louisville on the road. Both of these teams are coming off of very offensive series last weekend, and it feels like a major key this weekend will be which team gets better pitching performances from their depth guys on the pitching staff.
- Oregon at No. 17 Oregon State in a nonconference series between two rivals and conference foes. Oregon State will look to simply do what it has done all season long, which is get outstanding pitching, especially from the bullpen, and get contributions up and down the lineup. The Ducks, meanwhile, will look to prove that their series sweep of UC Santa Barbara last weekend was no fluke. The Beavers will have to pitch well to UO slugger Kenyon Yovan to have success.
- Indiana State at No. 25 Florida Atlantic in a battle of two teams doing some early jockeying for at-large resume builders. Quietly, ISU has already put some nice weekend results on the board, including a four-game split with Tennessee on the road, and FAU has pushed itself into the rankings thanks to an offense that has overcome inconsistent pitching so far.