- Full name John Francis Nogowski
- Born 01/05/1993 in Tallahassee, FL
- Profile Ht.: 6'0" / Wt.: 245 / Bats: R / Throws: L
- School Florida State
- Debut 08/16/2020
- Drafted in the 34th round (1,032nd overall) by the Oakland Athletics in 2014.
Best Tools List
- Rated Best Strike-Zone Discipline in the St. Louis Cardinals in 2020
- Rated Best Strike-Zone Discipline in the St. Louis Cardinals in 2019
TRACK RECORD: Nogowski was a 34th-round pick of the A’s in the 2014 draft out of Florida State. The A’s released him in 2017 and he ended up playing for Sioux Falls in the independent American Association before returning to affiliated ball with the Cardinals. After two solid seasons in the upper minors, St. Louis added him to the major league roster in August when the team was left shorthanded by a COVID-19 outbreak. He got into one game and notched his first major league hit before returning to the alternate training site.
SCOUTING REPORT: Nogowksi has an exceptional batting eye and is an extraordinarily patient hitter. He has more career walks (229) than strikeouts (218) and forces pitchers to come to him. Nogowski has raw power to his pull-side, but his approach is more geared for contact up the middle. His lack of in-game power is an issue because he is strictly limited to first base. He's a solid defender at first who makes all the routine plays, but he's not particularly fleet of foot and he can't play anywhere else.
THE FUTURE: Nogowski is already 28 and is most likely a Triple-A regular who fills in as needed in the majors. He should have a role as a reserve who can play solid defense and get on base.