Image credit: Zach Neto (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
Baseball America is partnering with Pramana to use the company’s SHIFT tool. SHIFT helps companies find instant answers to a wide variety of questions by using natural language search and free text to turn data into content and insights. Pramana used the SHIFT tool to find a variety of insights and nuggets about each of the first-round picks in the 2022 draft.
1. With the #1 Overall pick the Orioles select Jackson Holliday. This is the second time ever a player from the state of Oklahoma has been selected #1 overall. Mike Moore RHP in 1981 out of Oral Roberts by the Mariners was the only other Oklahoman.
2. Jackson Holliday makes 10 HS SS taken at pick 1 all-time: Royce Lewis-(2017), Carlos Correa-(2012), Tim Beckham-(2008), Justin Upton-(2005), Matt Bush-(2004), Alex Rodriguez-(1993), Chipper Jones-(1990), Shawon Dunston-(1982) and Tim Foli-(1968).
4. The Dbacks select Druw Jones with pick #2. He makes the 5th HS OF selected at pick #2 all-time: Byron Buxton – Twins (2012), Ben Grieve – Athletics (1994), Tony Clark – Tigers (1990) and Mark Merchant – Pirates (1987).
5. The Rangers selecting Kumar Rocker at pick 3 makes the third time in franchise history they’ve selected a 4YR RHP in Round 1 in consecutive year. The other years were Bobby Witt (1985) & Kevin Brown (1986), Jonathan Johnson (1995) & R.A. Dickey (1996).
8. Before Jones and Johnson with picks 2 & 4 tonight, there had been 8 other times in MLB Draft history with 2 players from the same state taken in the first 4 picks. 7 times from California, once from Illinois.
10. Tonight is the 1st time since 1990 that no players from a 4YR college were selected through the first 5 picks.
13. Cade Horton now makes the 51st consecutive year a player from OU Baseball has been selected in the MLB Draft.
14. Brooks Lee is only the 2nd player from Cal Poly ever drafted in the 1st round and the first since C John Orton was taken at 25 in 1987. The highest drafted Cal Poly shortstop ever selected was Ozzie Smith, Padres fourth-round pick in 1977.
15. Gavin Cross is the 1st Virginia Tech outfielder ever selected in the first round.
16. Gabriel Hughes selected at #10. He’s the first Gonzaga righthanded pitcher ever selected in the 1st Round. Marco Gonzalez (LHP) was the only other Gonzaga pitcher ever selected in the first round.
18. Gavin Cross selected at Pick 9. The last first round position player drafted out of Virginia Tech was 1B Franklin Stubbs in 1982 (19th overall). The last first-round pick was LHP Joe Saunders, picked 12th overall in 2002.
19. With picks 6 through 13 being 4YR players, that’s now the 2nd-longest streak of college players selected in round 1 in MLB Draft history at 8. The record is 9 straight. Here are the previous:
23. The 5 shortstops selected in the first 14 picks ties the all-time MLB Draft record set in 2002, 1974 and 1971.
24. Dylan Lesko at pick 15 is the first HS pitcher off the board. That’s the 7th time in MLB Draft history it took that long and 3rd time in the last 4 years. (2020, 2019, 2008, 2005, 1992, 1985)
25. Chase DeLauter is the highest drafted player from James Madison and first-ever first-round selection, eclipsing Dan Meyer (34th pick overall) in 2002 and Brian McNichol (also 34th pick overall) in 1995.
27. Cam Collier at pick 18 is the highest selected junior college third baseman selected by a huge margin. The previous record for a juco third baseman was Mat Gamel (also out of Chipola JC) with pick 115 in the fourth round of 2005 by the Brewers.
28. The 4 Georgia players selected through pick 15 is the most ever selected from the state through that pick. The previous record was 3, set three times (2016, 2010, 2008).
29. Owen Murphy at pick 20 is the first player from the state of Illinois to ever be selected by the Braves in round 1. Previously, the highest drafted player from Illinois by the Braves was Marty Clary at pick 74 in 1983.
30. Parada and Susac both taken in the first 19 picks ties the MLB Draft record for most 4YR catchers through that number of picks. It’s now happened 9 times. The last occurrence – Adley Rutschman (pick 1) & Shea Langeliers (pick 9) in 2019.
31. Mikey Romero makes the 7th shortstop in the first 24 picks. That’s one off the all-time record, but the 3rd time in the last 4 drafts with 7 selected.
32. Spencer Jones taken at pick 25 is a 6’7″ outfielder. That ties the all-time record for tallest OF ever selected in the first round (79 inches). Pretty good company though.
33. There have been 16 players selected tonight that bat switch or lefty through the first 29 picks. That ties the all-time record, set twice before (2019, 2008). Seven of the top 10 have now happened in the last decade.
35. Reggie Crawford breaks the all-time MLB Draft record for most players that bat switch or lefty taken in the first 30 picks. 17 tonight.
36. Landon Sims is the 7th RHP out of Mississippi State drafted at pick 34 or earlier.
37. Thomas Harrington is the first player from Campbell ever drafted by the Pirates.
38. Thomas Harrington out of Campbell University was selected at pick 36, Justin Campbell was selected next at 37. In MLB Draft history, there have been 37 occasions a Campbell player was drafted and 76 times a player named Campbell was called.
39. The 8 pitchers taken through pick 33 is the fewest since 1978, when only 7 were selected.
40. In contrast to tonight’s draft, 1999 featured 23 pitchers through the first 33 picks – the most all-time.