Job Opening: Baseball America Design & Production Director
Design & Production Director
Baseball America seeks a motivated, organized and collaborative graphic designer to help produce its monthly magazine and annual book titles and ensure that advertisements meet print specifications. The Design & Production Director must have a good eye for page design, color photography and overall details. The Director will work with editorial to meet the high standards BA has established as it enters its 42nd year in print.
The Director will work with printers to achieve the best rates and production timelines. They also will help facilitate the production of the monthly eEdition of the magazine for the BA app.
To apply, send a resume and examples of your work to Editor-In-Chief J.J. Cooper at email@example.com. Please include Design & Production Director in the subject line.
- Generate clear ideas and concepts in tandem with editor-in-chief and executive editor.
- Take work from concept to final execution within deadlines.
- Liaison to print/distribution vendors.
- Monthly print order and annual print orders through book season.
- Monthly issue including updates to each issue page plan, magazine layout and template creation, InCopy assignment/content file creation for editors, photo editing, photo placement, formatting of text/production work, sending out digital updates and seeing the issue through print production.
- Working experience as Art Director. Ideally multiple of years of experience in an art/creative director role.
- Relevant education or training. BFA in graphic design preferred. Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Hands-on experience with logo design, typography, color theory, layout design, print production, image retouching/editing and web graphics.
- A rock star with InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, and Illustrator—especially InDesign.
- Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well.
- Team player with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
This a full-time position with benefits. Baseball America is based in Durham, N.C., but relocation is not required.
Baseball America is the authority on prospects, player development and the MLB Draft and has been for 40 years.