College Podcast: Recapping NCAA Baseball Week 14
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy recap week 14 of the season, the final week of the regular season for most conferences around the country.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
The topics discussed at length on this episode are:
- The Big 12 title race finishing over the weekend, with Texas and Texas Christian tying at the top of the standings after the Longhorns took a series at home against West Virginia and the Horned Frogs lost one on the road against Kansas State. Because Texas won the head-to-head series with TCU, the Longhorns have to be considered the champs, even if they didn't win it outright.
- Arkansas clinching the SEC regular-season title, its first since 2004, by sweeping a series at home against Florida. Impressively, it won games in three different ways over the weekend. It won one when it got a great starting pitching performance from Patrick Wicklander. It won another when it showed some clutch offense late in the game, including a tying homer from Robert Moore. And then it won a bullpen game to finish the series. It was another example of the Razorbacks simply being able to win any type of game it wants to play.
- Arizona capturing the Pac-12 regular-season title after winning a series on the road against Oregon. It finished off that series win, but still needed Stanford to win its rubber game against Oregon State in order to lift the trophy. The Cardinal obliged with a 12-inning win over Oregon State, which might also secure hosting privileges for Stanford in regionals.
- Nebraska securing a Big Ten regular-season title with an impressive 4-0 pod weekend in Bloomington against Indiana and Ohio State. In addition to the Cornhuskers taking care of business, it was made possible by Maryland winning its series against Michigan last weekend as well. The Huskers are going to be a dangerous team in regionals, given the quality of its pitching staff, led by Cade Povich, and a deep offense.
- Southern upsetting Jackson State in the SWAC Tournament final. JSU led 6-4 in the ninth, but Southern went on top 7-6 on a crazy play that ended in a three-run home run by O'Neill Burgos. Three outs later, JSU's undefeated season in SWAC play was over and the Jaguars are going to regionals for the second consecutive time.
- Norfolk State clinching its first-ever regional bid after winning the MEAC Tournament final over North Carolina Central in walk-off fashion.
- Texas A&M parting ways with head coach Rob Childress, which will set off a national coaching search to fill one of the best jobs in college baseball.