College Podcast: Recapping NCAA Baseball Week 13
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy recap week 13 of the season.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
The topics discussed at length in this episode are:
- The blockbuster series between Arkansas and Tennessee in Knoxville that provided fantastic drama from the first pitch on Friday to the last out on Sunday. Sandwiched around a walk-off win for Tennessee in game 2 on a Max Ferguson three-run homer was a come-from-behind win for the Razorbacks on Friday and a Sunday pitchers duel that featured a great team effort on the mound for the Hogs.
- The list of 20 potential hosts that the NCAA released on Friday, from which the final 16 hosts will be selected. Things to watch from that group will be whether South Carolina and Mississippi, which really helped themselves over the weekend, can stay in the host conversation, whether Pittsburgh can possibly host as a No. 2 seed and the breakthrough season for Conference USA that resulted in three host site possibilities.
- Ole Miss, with its back against the wall, winning a series against Vanderbilt at home. The Rebels were named as one of the 20 possible host sites, but had work to do in order to clinch a spot as one of the final 16. So long as they don't trip in their final series of the year against Georgia, beating the Commodores likely did the trick.
- The ACC continuing to provide a high level of unpredictability. Louisville was swept for the second time this season, this time by North Carolina. Virginia Tech was swept by Duke, pushing the Hokies back toward the bubble. NC State continued its hot streak by sweeping Pitt. Virginia also swept Wake Forest, which may serve to complete the comeback from the bottom of the ACC to being a postseason team.
- Conference USA wrapping up its conference season, with Charlotte clinching the regular-season title. The top four teams in the league, Charlotte, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion and Southern Mississippi are all locks for the postseason, and all but ODU are hosting possibilities, although keep an eye on the Monarchs as a possible traveling No. 1 seed.
- Michigan winning its series against Indiana, which pushed it back into the Top 25 rankings. Those two teams, plus Nebraska, are all in the mix for the regular-season title, and with all three of those teams playing each other down the stretch, the team that comes out on top will have earned it.