College Podcast: Recapping NCAA Baseball Week 10
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy recap week 10 around college baseball, including a couple of marquee SEC series, a big upset in the Big 12, the movement in the ACC and a west coast nonconference showdown.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
The topics discussed in depth are:
- The series win for No. 1 Arkansas over South Carolina in Columbia. The Razorbacks won in some ways as they always do, by getting good bullpen work and by being able to score quickly, but they also got better starting pitching than they have for most of the season, which served to beat the Gamecocks at their own game.
- The Vanderbilt series win over Mississippi State. Kumar Rocker got the series started with a complete-game win on Friday, and even after Jack Leiter got hit around in his start in game 2, which MSU won, the Commodores secured the series on Sunday thanks to excellent work out of the bullpen.
- Baylor's upset series win over Texas Tech in Lubbock, which is the first time any team has won a series in Lubbock since 2018. It was also the first series win for Baylor in Lubbock since 2010. After going a combined 1-5 against Texas and Texas Christian earlier this season, this series win puts Baylor back on the path to being a postseason team come June.
- Fairfield's inclusion in the Top 25 for the first time in program history. Understanding that the Stags might not actually be one of the 25 best teams in college baseball in a traditional sense, it felt important to celebrate the team's 25-0 season so far, which gives them one of the better overall resumes in the country if nothing else.
- The continued movement in the ACC, which this week included North Carolina State sweeping Virginia Tech to get back into the postseason picture and Florida State taking a series on the road against Georgia Tech.
- UC Irvine winning a series against Oregon State that was as close as a three-game series can be. All three games were decided either in extra innings or the ninth inning. That series win, plus their place as the top team in the Big West, pushed the Anteaters into the rankings for the first time this season.