College Podcast: Previewing Week 7
On this episode of the Baseball America College Podcast, presented by Rapsodo, Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy preview week 7 around college baseball.
Powered by RedCircle
Want more podcasts like this one? Subscribe below!
But first, they kick things off with a discussion of where the American Athletic Conference sits as the league heads into conference play this weekend. Frankly, it's not in a good place, outside of East Carolina, which has earned its way into the Top 10. Otherwise, no AAC team has stood out in terms of overall record, RPI or consistency. And unless something changes over the next few weeks, the league is in danger of being a one-bid league for the first time in history.
The following are the series previewed on this week's preview show:
- No. 3 Mississippi traveling to Gainesville to take on reeling No. 15 Florida. This is a huge weekend for a Florida team that was swept last weekend by South Carolina. One huge key for the Gators is getting better pitching than it did against the Gamecocks, when none of its three starters gave them a good outing. Ole Miss, meanwhile, seems to be rolling. Righthander Gunnar Hoglund has emerged as one of the best pitchers in the game and lefthander Doug Nikhazy was excellent last weekend in his return from injury.
- No. 12 Notre Dame heading east to take on No. 17 Pittsburgh in a battle of two of the early-season darlings in the ACC. Pitt will look to bounce back from being swept by Virginia Tech last weekend.
- The rivalry series between No. 16 Arizona and Arizona State in Tempe. The Wildcats continue to boast arguably the best offense in the country, while ASU is one of the more well-rounded outfits in the Pac-12. The Sun Devils aren't as powerful in the lineup as they were when Spencer Torkelson was leading the way, but they are still plenty good, and the pitching staff has continued to throw the ball well despite losing several of its best arms to injury.
- Indiana going on the road to take on Ohio State. The Hoosiers have played well so far this season, and a series win over a talented Buckeyes team would further prove that the gap between them and Big Ten favorites Michigan isn't very big.
- Bowling Green hosting Kent State in MAC play. BGSU has been one of the best stories in college baseball this season, while KSU doesn't appear to be the type of KSU team we're used to seeing, at least not so far.