2020 Prospect Position Rankings: Second Base
Each year, following the release of our Top 100 prospects, Baseball America ranks the top prospects in baseball by position. You can find our position-by-position rankings here.
Here are the top second base prospects for 2020.
Best Bat: There are valid questions about power with White Sox 2B Nick Madrigal. But his bat-to-ball skills are not just good, they’re elite. He struck out just 16 times last year, a three percent strikeout rate with most of his playing time coming in Double-A and Triple-A and nearly three times as many walks (48) as whiffs.
Best Glove: Madrigal gets the nod here again. Despite a below-average arm, Madrigal fields his position well, standing out for his athleticism, soft hands, nimble footwork and above-average range.
Sleeper: The Rangers signed Keithron Moss for $800,000 in 2017 and he struggled the next year in his pro debut, though he was 16 nearly the entire season. But in 2019, Moss caught the attention of pro scouts when he took a huge leap forward in the Rookie-level Arizona League, where he hit .308/.425/.442 in 34 games.
1. Brendan Rodgers, Rockies | Scouting Report
2. Nick Madrigal, White Sox | Scouting Report
3. Vidal Brujan, Rays | Scouting Report
4. Xavier Edwards, Rays | Scouting Report
5. Nick Solak, Rangers | Scouting Report
6. Michael Busch, Dodgers | Scouting Report
7. Aaron Bracho, Indians | Scouting Report
8. Chase Strumpf, Cubs | Scouting Report
9. Mauricio Dubon, Giants | Scouting Report
10. Owen Miller, Padres | Scouting Report