|Not up to par|
|Rating compares this year’s group to what a state typically produces, not to other states|
The 2017 class makes it back-to-back years that the state is unlikely to have a first round pick.
Arizona first baseman Kevin Newman was the last first round pick out of the state in 2015, when the Pirates jumped on him with the 19th overall selection. Another Arizona first baseman should be the first player out of the state taken, in J.J. Matijevic, although it would be a surprise if he’s taken within the first 30 selections.
There’s solid depth in this class, but we’re still waiting on another year with more top-end talent.
|NATIONAL TOP 500 PROSPECTS|
|BA 500 Scouting Reports|
1. J.J. Matijevic, 1B, Arizona (70)
2. Jacob Gonzalez, 3B, Chaparral HS, Scottsdale, Ariz. (132)
3. Jared Oliva, OF, Arizona (140)
4. Jake Holmes, SS, Pinnacle HS, Phoenix (157)
5. Ryley Widell, LHP, Central Arizona JC (185)
6. Boyd Vander Kooi, RHP, Skyline HS, Mesa, Ariz. (241)
7. Nick Brueser, 1B, Hamilton HS, Scottsdale, Ariz. (288)
8. Trey Dillard, RHP, Desert Mountain HS, Scottsdale, Ariz. (327)
9. Seth Nordlin, RHP, Gateway (Ariz.) JC (379)
10. Blake Paugh, OF/1B, Chaparral HS, Scottsdale, Ariz. (384)
11. Trevor Hauver, SS, Perry HS, Gilbert, Ariz. (399)
12. Drew Swift, SS, Hamilton HS, Chandler, Ariz. (413)
13. Andrew Shaps, OF, Arizona State (419)
14. Avery Weems, LHP, Yavapai (Ariz.) JC (431)
15. David Duarte, C, Alhambra HS, Phoenix (447)
|OTHER PROSPECTS OF NOTE|
|2017 Draft Map|
16. Evan Williams, OF, Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
17. Jesus Azuaje, SS, Glendale (Ariz.) CC
18. Cole Bellinger, RHP/2B, Hamilton HS, Chandler, Ariz.
19. Cal Stevenson, OF/LHP, Arziona
20. Cameron Ming , LHP, Arizona
21. J.T. Stanley, C, Centennial HS, Peoria, Ariz.
22. Logan White, C, Mountain Pointe HS, Phoenix
23. Travis Moore, OF, Desert Vista HS, Phoenix, Ariz.
24. Matt Schroer, RHP, Arcadia HS, Phoenix
25. Hayden Udall, RHP, Campo Verde HS, Gilbert, Ariz.
26. Alex Stinnett, C/3B, Westwood HS, Mesa, Ariz
Jesus Azuaje, SS, Glendale (Ariz.) CC
Azuaje hit over .400 as a freshman at Glendale, but slumped as a sophomore, posting a slugging percentage (.399) that was less than his batting average in 2016. But as a rangy shortstop who scouts have seen hit with wood, he could still be a late-round pick. If not, he’s signed to head to UC Santa Barbara.
Cal Stevenson, OF/LHP, Arziona
Stevenson hit .311/.448/.461 with 12 more walks (48) than strikeouts (36), but the stolen base numbers that he put up as a freshman and sophomore at Nevada and Chabot College almost disappeared.
Matt Schroer, RHP, Arcadia HS, Phoenix
Schroer’s velocity has been up thanks to a weighted ball program, but he’s had trouble throwing strikes consistently.