|One for the books|
|Rating compares this year’s group to what a state typically produces, not to other states|
This year’s North Carolina class is the best the state has ever produced.
There’s no one in the industry who will question that, and as John Manuel wrote earlier this spring, there’s a solid chance that the state breaks a new record for first round selections. The current high of four players was set in 2014, when North Carolina State products Carlos Rodon and Trea Turner were taken with the No. 3 and No. 13 picks respectively.
East Carolina’s Jeff Hoffman went at No. 9 and prep outfielder Braxton Davidson was taken out of Roberson High (Asheville, N.C.) with the 32nd pick of the draft.
The state should easily tie that record this season, with a pair of North Carolina products expected to go in the first round—righthander J.B. Bukauskas and shortstop Logan Warmoth—along with prep players who offer extremely high ceilings in Whiteville High lefthander MacKenzie Gore and North Davidson (Lexington, N.C.) High outfielder Austin Beck.
Outside of the top four, college centerfielders Stuart Fairchild (Wake Forest) and Brian Miller (North Carolina) have a chance to go in the back of the first round, and set a new record for the state.
It’s not just talent at the top that sets this year’s class apart though, as 31 players are ranked in the BA 500 this season, compared to the 2014 class, which had 18. The immense amount of talent at both the collegiate level and the high school level, from top to bottom, will set this group apart for years to come.
|NATIONAL TOP 500 PROSPECTS|
|BA 500 Scouting Reports|
1. MacKenzie Gore, LHP, Whiteville (N.C.) HS (4)
2. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina (6)
3. Austin Beck, OF, North Davidson HS, Lexington, N.C. (9)
4. Logan Warmoth, SS, North Carolina (19)
5. Stuart Fairchild, OF, Wake Forest (43)
6. Brian Miller, OF, North Carolina (44)
7. Gavin Sheets, 1B, Wake Forest (65)
8. Greg Jones, SS, Cary (N.C.) HS (75)
9. Noah Campbell, SS, Cardinal Gibbons HS, Raleigh, N.C. (111)
10. Gavin Williams, RHP, Cape Fear HS, Fayetteville, N.C. (120)
11. Joe Dunand, SS/3B, North Carolina State (130)
12. Spencer Smith, C, Northern HS, Durham, N.C. (158)
13. Evan Mendoza, 3B, North Carolina State (198)
14. Justin Bullock, RHP, South Granville HS, Creedmoor, N.C. (203)
15. Kier Meredith, OF, Glenn HS, Winston-Salem, N.C. (215)
16. Griffin Roberts, RHP, Wake Forest (217)
17. Brett Netzer, 2B, Charlotte (237)
18. Josh McLain, OF, North Carolina State (245)
19. Donnie Sellers, RHP, Wake Forest (260)
20. Jimmy Herron, OF, Duke (282)
21. Matt Brill, RHP, Appalachian State (291)
22. Kyle Datres, 3B, North Carolina (297)
23. Patrick Bailey, C, Wesleyan Christian Academy, High Point, N.C. (299)
24. Nick Jodway, RHP/3B, Draughn HS, Valdese, N.C. (344)
25. Josh Roberson, RHP, UNC Wilmington (369)
26. Bryan Sammons, LHP, Western Carolina (375)
27. Colton Laws, RHP, Charlotte (376)
28. Cody Roberts, C, North Carolina (408)
29. Jacob Brown, 3B/RHP, Northeast Guilford HS, McLeansville, N.C (423)
30. Brock Deatherage, OF, North Carolina State (441)
31. Tommy DeJuneas, RHP, North Carolina State (497)
|OTHER PROSPECTS OF NOTE|
|2017 Draft Map|
32. Cody Beckman, LHP, North Carolina State
33. Seth Caddell, C, Pinecrest HS, Southern Pines, N.C.
34. Chris Farish, RHP, Wake Forest
35. Nick Feight, C, UNC Wilmington
36. John Curtis, LHP, Lenoir Ryne
37. Thomas St. Clair, RHP, Lenoir Ryne
38. Garrett Blaylock, SS/3B, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C.
39. Casey Golden, OF, UNC Wilmington
40. Kyle Blendinger, RHP, Southwest Guilford HS, High Point, N.C.
41. Brian Mims, INF, UNC Wilmington
42. Reid Johnston, RHP/3B, Rocky Mount (N.C.) Academy
43. Ben Breazeale, C, Wake Forest
44. Jack Labosky, 3B, Duke
45. Mitch Stallings, LHP, Duke
46. Bailey Dees, RHP, Hough HS, Cornelius, N.C.
47. Johnny Piedmonte, RHP, North Carolina State
48. Travis Watkins, C, East Carolina
49. Jonathan Pryor, OF, Wake Forest
50. Sean Adler, LHP, North Carolina State
51. Joe O’Donnell, rhp, North Carolina State
52. Andy Cosgrove, C, North Carolina State
53. Karl Blum, RHP, Duke
54. Cory Wilder, RHP, North Carolina State
55. Parker Dunshee, RHP, Wake Forest
56. Matt Oldham, C, Northwood HS, Pittsboro, N.C.
57. Joe Tietjen, OF, UNC Asheville
58. Sam Hall, SS/OF, Topsail HS, Hampstead, N.C.
59. Josh Nifong, RHP, High Point (N.C.) Christian Academy
60. Josh Pike, RHP, Northern Guilford HS, Greensboro, N.C.
61. Zack Kesterson, RHP, Duke
62. Connor Johnstone, RHP, Wake Forest
63. Collin Watt, 3B, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C.
64. Ryan Day, RHP, Duke
65. Jason Morgan, RHP, North Carolina
66. Bruce Zimmerman, LHP, Mount Olive (N.C.)
67. Will Robertson, OF, Davidson
68. Matthew Stevens, OF, Charlotte (N.C.) Catholic HS
69. Cameron Cotter, RHP, Northern Guilford HS, Greensboro, N.C.
70. Tristan Shea, C, Porter Ridge HS, Indian Trail, N.C.
71. Nicholas Swiney, LHP, Hough HS, Cornelius, N.C.
72. Cutter Dyals, RHP, North Carolina A&T
73. Zack Mozingo, RHP, Mount Olive (N.C.)
74. Austin Staley, RHP, North Carolina State
75. Myles Sowell, OF, North Carolina A&T
76. Ricky Surum, SS, Mount Olive (N.C.)
77. Tate Pennington, SS, Butler HS, Matthews, N.C.
78. James Ziemba, LHP, Duke
79. Tim Naughton, RHP, North Carolina State
80. Brian Brown, LHP, North Carolina State
81. Adam Pate, OF, North Carolina