Second basemen aren’t typically a hot commodity at the amateur level. Most major league second basemen played shortstop at the amateur level. That said, there are some intriguing options at the keystone this year, with UC Irvine’s Keston Hiura expected to play second base or left field after fully healing from his arm injury.
Below are the rankings of this year's second basemen. Their rankings in the BA 500 are in parentheses.
1. Keston Hiura, UC Irvine (14)
2. Riley Mahan, Kentucky (96)
3. Cole Freeman, Louisiana State (166)
4. Brett Netzer, Charlotte (237)
5. Cullen Large, William & Mary (285)
6. Zack Kirtley, Saint Mary’s (317)
7. Colton Burns, UC Santa Barbara (323)
8. Dillon Persinger, Cal State Fullerton (336)
9. Kaden Polcovich, Deer Creek HS, Edmond, Okla. (445)
10. Edouard Julien, Cardinal-Roy Secondary School, Quebec City, Quebec (451)
11. Alan Trejo, San Diego State (458)