WHAT: The annual Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft (or Rule 4 Draft) beging tonight at 7 p.m. ET, broadcast on the MLB Network with the first 75 picks through the supplemental second round.
WHO: Three groups are eligible to be drafted: High school players if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college; College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed. Countries eligible for the draft include Canada, Puerto Rico, the United States and U.S. territories. Players from other countries are considered international free agents and must adhere to MLB's international signing rules.
WHEN: Round 1 begins tonight at 7 p.m. ET. On Tuesday, Rounds 3-10 start at 1 p.m. ET, and Rounds 11-40 start Wednesday at noon ET.
For the third time in team history, the Twins will have the first overall pick. In 2001, Minnesota drafted six-time All-Star Joe Mauer No. 1 overall, and in 1983 they picked righthander Tim Belcher, although he did not sign.
The Blue Jays (22nd and 28th), the Rangers (26th and 29th) and the Cubs (27th and 30th) each have two selections in the first round. The Astros (15th, 53rd, 56th and 75th) and the Pirates (12th, 42nd, 50th and 72nd) each have four picks within the first 75 picks.
• Here is the complete draft order.
• Find all of our Mock Drafts here.
• We broke down the BA500 by position and posted them all here.
• Find out more about Hunter Greene here.
• All you need to know about Brendan McKay is here.
• Get all your Kyle Wright knowledge here.
• More on MacKenzie Gore right here.
• More on Royce Lewis here.
• Michael Lananna and John Manuel wrote about the proliferation of legitimate two-way players.
• You more audio-inclined? Check out our draft podcasts here.
• Michael Lananna looked at intriguing relatives of top prospects.
USEFUL LINKS: You can find all of our 2017 MLB Draft Content here.