Louisiana State has been college baseball's most dominant team over the past two decades with five national titles in a 10-year span from 1991 to 2000. But since Skip Bertman retired in 2001, the Tigers had slipped from the nation's elite and even failed to make the field of 64 in 2006 and 2007. But under third-year coach Paul Mainieri, LSU showed it is back on Wednesday, as they won their sixth national title with a convincing 11-4 win over Texas.
Congratulations to Pat Boy
, whose 86 points edged John K.
's 83, although John K.'s 88.9% pick percentage is still quite impressive. Ryan Johnson
, a.k.a. HooksStadium
, was our best celebrity finisher. He came in with a solid 71 points and 74.1% pick percentage. And, he also picked LSU to defeat Texas in the championship series.
That does it for this year's Bracket Challenge, brought to you by DeMarini
, but you can expect more Bracket Challenges in the future. And keep in mind that there is plenty to wrap up regarding the 2009 college baseball season. So stay tuned to what Aaron Fitt and John Manuel have for you on the Baseball America College homepage
and the College Blog
. Also, keep your eyes open for notices from Baseball America and/or DeMarini regarding prizes you may have won by partcipating. Not just Pat Boy
is a winner.
Want to receive updates about the Baseball America College Baseball Bracket Challenge? Sign up here:
• For every winner you pick in the regional round, you get one point, plus another point multiplied by the team's seed.
• For super-regional winners, you get two points for each correct pick, plus another two points multiplied by the team's regional seed.
• If you correctly pick the eight Omaha participants, you get four points, plus another three points multiplied by each team's regional seed.
• And if you pick the national champion correctly, you get eight points, plus another four points multiplied by the team's regional seed.
• The winner is the person with the most points. Any ties will be broken by predictions for the total number of runs scored in the championship game.