The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint

Montreal Expos Top 10 Prospects

Moderator: Michael Levesque compiled our Top 10 Expos prospects list and will begin taking your questions at 2 p.m. ET

Q:  Dave from Maryland asks:
Which player are expected to start the 2004 season in A Savannah?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: The best prospects projected to start the season in low Class-A are RHP Clint Everts, 1B Josh Whitesell, 3BOF Kory Casto, and OF Jerry Owens

Q:  tom from Scranton asks:
How are the two prospects my Pirates wasted on Matt Herges, I believe Chris Young and John Searles, panning out?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Young pitched okay this year earning a promotion to Double-A, and is currently in the AFL. The Expos have yet to add him to their 40-man roster as he continues to struggle to create arm speed which has left him with velocity in the 86-88 mph range.

Is Edgardo Baez ceiling very high?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: If everything clicks, Baez projects to have average to above average tools across the board.

Since the Expos have the 12th pick in the 2004 draft will the go for a college pitcher or a positional player?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: The Expos will likely take the best available player they can sign with the 13th overall selection, and concentrate on position players.

If Mike Hinckley starts well in A Brevard County could he recieve a mid season promotion to AA Harrisburg?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Yes

Q:  Mark from Burlington, Vermont asks:
Will the Expos send anyone decent here this year, or will we once again have the worst team in the minors?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: A lot depends on the draft. Of the players already in the organization hard throwing righties Alexis Morales and Daryl Thompson should be the ones to watch in Vermont this summer.

Q:  Eric Hinz from Port Chester, NY asks:
Omar Minaya is lauded for his work as GM. Is there any tangible proof of this? The team's core was there before he arrived, and the minor league system is devoid of upper level talent as a direct result of his decisions. Why the accolades?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I'm still trying to figure that out myself. He made a nice pickup getting Livan Hernandez last spring, but for the most part has a poor job on the trade front.

Does Daryl Thompson have the potential to be a starting pitcher? Maybe a #1, #2, or a #3?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I really like Thompson, and think he can be a middle of the rotation starter in the majors. He has an easy loose arm action and gets it up there into 90-94 mph range plus has the potential for an above average curve and average change.

Q:  Mike from Connecticut asks:
Whatever happened to Rich Rundles. Will he be taken in the Rule 5 this year?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Rundles pitched with Class-A Brevard this year and was solid going 5-6, 2.90 in 19 starts. He is available in the Rule 5 draft, but is unlikely to be taken because of his injury marked past.

Q:  Mike from Orrville asks:
Rogearvin Bernadina, could he be as good as Vlad?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Bernadina has the potential to be a five tool player but at this point is not in Vlad's class. Then again, not many players are.

What is the future of Larry Broadway?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Broadway is slated to start the year in Double-A, with his power bat arriving in Montreal in September or in 2005

how would you rank the Expos farm system now?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: In the bottom third.

Q:  Tom from Scranton from asks:
Is Termeel Sledge a prospect? He's old at 27, but he did have a really nice year. I remember a Mariner's friend of mine was upset when they traded him for Chris Widger, I think. That leads me to believe he has shown glimpses before. If so, why hasn't he gotten a chance somewhere?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Sledge has continued to make adjustments at the plate and increased his power this year by moving off the plate more, and getting better extension. He has enough skills that he could surprise this year if given enough playing time.

Q:  James P from Vancouver asks:
Is Chad Cordero going to get a chance to close next year, or will he be a set-up guy? Jose Contreras, though really young, posted poor numbers in the Gulf Coast league. Do you see him playing full-season ball next year?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I think Cordero will start off the year as a setup man and could move into the closer roll if Biddle continues to struggle. Contreras is still very raw, and will return to short-season ball in 2004. For me, he's the best shortstop prospect in the system.

Q:  Scott from Elizabethtown PA asks:
Rogearvin Bernadina looks pretty raw right now. Are there other guys in the farm system who have a high potential but are still raw?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Outfielders Antonio Sucre and Alberto Guzman have high upsides. The 19-year-old Guzman who played in the DSL this year was signed out of the Dominican this summer by Expos director of Latin American Development Ismael Cruz. Armed with five tool potential, he has been compared to a young Bernie Williams.

Q:  Nick from Montreal asks:
What is your opinion of Vince Rooi? Also, how is Josh Mckinely's conversion to catcher going?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Rooi has potential but needs to make improvements at the plate. He has a muscular upper body, and his swing has become stiff which has effected his bat speed. McKinley showed great improvement at the plate this year, and if he can end up catching it makes him and entirely different player.

Q:  Craig M from Fargo, ND asks:
MLB showed considerable frugality in running the team last year (especially in not allowing them any September callups). Does the minor league system reflect this as well, in terms of players getting the proper instruction, facilities, and so forth?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: The Expos minor league system is well run by farm director Adam Wogan, and they get by on what they have. MLB's frugality does effect them thou. Their prospects loose valuable development time by not having instructional league, and their Latin program has no money to sign players which eliminates a cheap source of talent that a lot of small market teams rely on .

Q:  Q from Q-ville asks:
Chad Cordero was obviously fast-tracked to the bigs. Who else from the 2003 draft could be on the quick train to the majors?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I think Alexis Morales and his mid 90's heat and plus plus slider could blast through the system.

Q:  Chad from Chicago asks:
Any idea on the health of Jerry Owens? He was limited to 8 ABs last year.
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Owens should be ready to go for spring training, and will start the season in low Class-A. He had toe and hernia problems that kept him out this year.

Q:  Adam Ottavino from Northeastern U asks:
I have heard a lot about the curveball of Clint Everts. I was wondering where this pitch would grade out on the 20-80 scale. Thanks.
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Everts nasty curve would grade out at 70 or 75 on the 20-80 scale, but it may not be the best in the system. A lot of Expos officials thought that righthander Danny Rueckel had an even better curve than Everts.

Is Luis Apodeca a legit prospect? Any other sleepr prospects to keep an eye on?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Apodaca had a nice year at the plate, and is okay defensively. But he was old for the level, has a soft body, and lacks power. He's organizational type guy for me.

Q:  Patrick from Chicago asks:
Despite his disappointing numbers in a repeat of AA, Josh Karp was ranked 4th in this system. Is this indicative of how week the Expos farm system is and are they in the bottom tier compared to other teams?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Karp ranked fourth based on his stuff and his potential to be a middletop of the rotation guy in the majors if he every puts everything together. In a stronger system he would have ranked lower but there is no denying his upside.

Q:  Tom from Scranton asks:
Josh Karp, underachieving?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Yes, Plus lack of run support this year

Q:  Todd from Oklahoma City asks:
Does Chris Schroder or David Maust have a better chance at making it to Montreal, or neither, and did Roy Corcoran prove himself enough to get another call-up?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I would say Maust. Even thou he doesn't throw hard, left-handers with good command and decent secondary stuff tend to find jobs in this game. Corcoran did fine, and should be in the bullpen mix down the road.

Q:  Jamie Friel from Philadelphia,pa asks:
Is Scott Hodges going to be a decent 3rd basemen and if so when do you see him taking over 3rd for the Expos.
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Hodges is going to get his chance this spring. He has the tools to be a gold glover defensively and has a solid left handed bat with some pop.

Q:  ebbe from Colorado Springs Kinkos asks:
Que! Any chance with 20 million in the cookie jar will Adam Wogan have free reign with signing 20 6 year free agents to fill the cupboard at AAAAA. Any Rule V picks such as a BJ Garbe to lend right handed hitters to outfield depth chart??? out, dude!
 A: 

Michael Levesque: ebbe - What's up my man. Dude if the Expos had 20 million laying around I'd be giving it to Vlady.

You've already metioned Danny Ruekel...care to go into more detail. Thanks
 A: 

Michael Levesque: A 12th-round draft pick by the Expos in 2002, Rueckel was a four-year starter at shortstop at Furman who also saw some action on the mound. The Expos drafted Rueckel as a pitcher after minor league pitching coach Tommy John recommended him. Rueckel is a athletic righthander with a medium frame. He has a solid balanced delivery and clean easy arm action, and can run his fastball into the 89-92 mph range with late movement. He complements his fastball with a devastating hard biting 78-82 mph curve that grades out as a 75 on the 20-80 scale

Q:  Jamie Friel from Philadelphia,pa asks:
Thanks for answering my last question I had one more if you have time I was wondering with Orlando Cabrera maybe going elsewhere who do the Expos turn to in there minor league system if anyone?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: If the Expos deal Cabrera they'll have to look outside the organization for a replacement. John Labandeira is the closest shortstop prospect to the majors, and he could be available in the Rule-5 because the Expos haven't added him to their roster yet.

Q:  Mike from Connecticut asks:
It's not an Expos question, but with A.J. Pierzynski out of Minnesota, is Joe Mauer gonna be playin on the Twins this year?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: I could see it happening. Mauer is going to be special

Q:  Joe from Dallas asks:
Are the Expos taking their sweet time with Mike Hinckley and will he start in Harrisburg this year?
 A: 

Michael Levesque: Last question - The Expos don't like to rush their high school pitchers so I see Hinckley starting in Class-A Brevard and jumping up to Harrisburg at mid season. Sorry for not getting to all the questions. I have to go. We had a huge wind storm he yesterday, and I had a tree come down on my house. Thanks for all the questions.

Moderator: Thanks so much for all of your questions. Will Kimmey will be chatting about the Phillies Monday at 2 pm ET  

Page Not Found - BaseballAmerica.com
The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint