The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint

Top 100 Prospects Chat with John Manuel

Moderator: John will begin taking your questions about our Top 100 Prospects list at 2 p.m. ET

Q:  Joshua Heines from Trenton, NJ asks:
Question of the day: Where would Weaver and Drew land on this list if they were eligible?
 A: 

John Manuel: Welcome in, everyone. iTunes in full effect for this long chat, on shuffle. Engage!

John Manuel: I can only speak for myself here . . . I'd put Weaver around 34 at first glance, ahead of Zach Duke. He's not too different in my mind from Jeff Francis except that he's righthanded and has no pro experience, but he's a pitchability guy with great command whose velocity doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. As I indicated yesterday in our brief on the breakdown of Weaver's contract negotiations, most scouts liked Niemann's stuff better and Niemann's command is a strength, if it's not at Weaver's level. I like Drew better as a prospect than Weaver personally; I'd rank him around 25, after polished prospects such as Francis and Nick Swisher, ahead of Chris Nelson at 26, though I really like Nelson. My only question on Drew is he hasn't hit with wood bats in competition since his East Cobb days, to my knowledge.

Q:  Eric from Madison asks:
Do you really think Homar Bailey is better than Mark Rogers? Is it just because of Bailey's higher high school competition? Also what kind of ceiling do you see for Rogers and do you see him moving quickly?
 A: 

John Manuel: Bailey's command and mechanics appear to be better than Rogers; I've consistently said in chats before that I really value fastball command as the building block for a pitcher's future success, and I like Bailey's fastball command better. Both have significant ceilings, however, and I foresee both being big leaguers by about 2008, after three full years in the minor leagues.

Q:  LF from The Crane Pool Forum asks:
Pitchers Justin Verlander, Philip Humber & Jeff Niemann were picked in consecutive order in last year's draft - #'s 2, 3, & 4 overall - and all, because they signed late, have essentially not yet thrown a pro pitch. Yet they turn up in very different places in the Top-100 list (Neimann = #20; Humber = #50; and Verlander not even on the list). What's the thought process behind the wide disparity?.
 A: 

John Manuel: Niemann has the best combination of size, stuff and track record of those three; I personally don't think it's close. Humber performed better in 2004 as he was healthy when Niemann wasn't, and I admit I'm not holding his injuries (arthroscopic elbow surgery, groin pull) against him. Humber isn't far behind for me, I just don't think he has the makeup to be a No. 1 starter, and I think Niemann does, makeup and stuff. His ceiling is true No. 1 for me, Humber's is not. Verlander is just a completely different guy. He couldn't even dominate the Colonial Athletic Association. He throws harder than those guys and has nasty stuff of his own, but I don't see the aptitude or the makeup. For me, Verlander is a high-risk, high-reward pick, and I'm wary of the risk and wary of his track record.

Q:  Russ from NY asks:
How big of a gap was there between #3 Young and #4 Stewart?
 A: 

John Manuel: Not much at all. As good as Delmon Young is, Ian Stewart is right there, and he plays a more premium position defensively as well. You can make the Ian Stewart case and I'd be very willing to listen, perhaps more than others. At the end, the bat is the most important tool, and Delmon's bat's going to be a bit better than Ian's.

Q:  Mike Marinaro from Tampa, FL asks:
Here is my first: I dont think its fair for Jason Kubel to be on the list, if and only if, Clint Everts was left off the list because he will not play in 2005. Kubel is slated to be out all year as well. I cant imagine that Everts would not have been in the top 100 had he not gotten injured. Can you touch up on this?
 A: 

John Manuel: Mike, we do think it's fair, and there's a huge difference between those guys. Kubel's knee isn't why he's a prospect; Evert's elbow is. Kubel has done it at Double-A and Triple-A; Everts has done it in low A. Everts' stuff was down before the injury was diagnosed; Kubel hit his way onto the Twins' playoff roster before he was hurt. Sorry, I see this as apples and oranges cases. And Everts, by the way, didn't miss the Top 100 by much at all. He's a pitcher coming back from a significant arm injury who will miss a year of development time, and even with the track record of Tommy John surgery being what it is, I'm still wary of ranking a guy like that too highly if I don't have to.

Q:  Shad from Maryland asks:
Love these chats!! What's the reasoning behind Carlos Quentin being a 20 some higher prospect than Connor Jackson? Is Jackson more polished and has about the same ceiling? If an outfield spot opens up who would the diamondbacks call up first? THanks.
 A: 

John Manuel: Shad, thanks for the kind words. Quentin plays right field and plays it well; Jackson's probably going to be a 1B, and if he's a 1B, he better flat mash, and I mean home runs, not doubles. That's the biggest reason for the disparity. Quentin's defense makes him much more likely to be called up first.

Q:  Peter from San Diego, CA asks:
Some other baseball prospect rankings have Kottaras above Barfield. I don't know about that - I trust you guys above all others in that regard. But Kottaras does look special. How high is his ceiling? Should we expect him on next year's top 100? Did anyone have him on this year's list? Any comparables?
 A: 

John Manuel: Peter, we appreciate your trust and hope to continue to earn it. I always watch Greeks like Kottaras closely, for trivia's sake, and he came a long way as a prospect last year. His ceiling is as an offensive catcher, a .280, 15-20 homers guy, who is average defensively. That's pretty significant. We realize the year Barfield had last year wasn't overwhelming, but one year isn't all we're considering here, and Barfield's bat probably still will be better than Kottaras'. If he stays at 2B, that makes Barfield a potential all-star.

Q:  billy from manhattan asks:
what type of ceiling is there for lastings milledge. is there a comparison to a player currently in the major leagues of what type of player he can be?
 A: 

John Manuel: He's a five-tool center fielder IF (huge if) he continues his improvement in hitting breaking balls and is at least an average hitter in terms of his batting average (.270-.285). The fact we ranked him so highly tells you we think he will hit for average and develop enough patience, and if he does, he's a 30-steals, 20-30 homers kind of guy in center field, which is pretty special, kind of like the Mets' current center fielder, Carlos Beltran, who also is just an average hit-tool guy (.284, .350 career OBP).

Q:  Ryan Hunt from Lakeland, FL asks:
Blake Hawksworth (47 in '04) and Bobby Jenks (62 in '04) were left off the Top 100 this year due to injuries last season. How close were they to making this year's list, and what is the latest word on their recoveries?
 A: 

John Manuel: I don't think either entered into the discussion due to their injury histories. Bobby Jenks, well, he's No. 21 in the White Sox system. He had elbow surgery last August, but of more concern is his makeup; he's just not a guy you want in your clubhouse. That track record is hard to ignore, but as one veteran player development official put it to me this spring, "I don't care if a guy's a criminal if he can throw the ---- out of it." Hawksworth is a totally different animal; the guy has had several injuries, the latest to the shoulder which is quite troubling, and hasn't pitched above Class A. He's in camp and just needs to have a healthy full season to get back on a list like this--that means beating his career high of 16 starts in a season.

What's the word on Adam Miller's injury and how does that affect his prospect status?
 A: 

John Manuel: He's being examined Saturday and we'll all know more then about the extent of his elbow tenderness. Clearly surgery would have a pretty negative effect on his status; that should go without saying. If he's just fine and just a little tender, he'll just miss some development time on the front end of the season, work up to the start of the season more slowly than his peers, but long-term, that wouldn't affect his status. Big day tomorrow for the Indians.

Any thought to revising team lists to fit with the "team's" (The BA team) collective opinion (i.e. Francouer as the Braves' #1 but at #14 behind #9 - and #2 to the Braves, Marte)?
 A: 

John Manuel: One of the great things about our rankings is, there's not one monolithic view here. Bill Ballew believes in Francoeur anad thinks he's the next Dale Murphy, and he really might be. Marte is also very good; there's not a ton of difference between the two for me. I personally think Marte is the better prospect, but not by much. Francoeur's intangibles are pretty compelling, if you talk to anyone who's gotten to know him; he's a future team captain, union rep, that kind of thing--he's just a natural leader, and I think that was a big factor in Bill's ranking. If we have a disagreement over who's better long-term, it's a pretty small one.

Is there a better hitter in the minors than Daric Barton? I know Ian Stewart and Delmon Young have shown more power, but Bartons plate discipline is much better than both of those guys, and he has an abundance of power. I think hes ranked too low, based on his bat, unless his defense is what put him there. Barton might be the very best hitter in the minor leagues.
 A: 

John Manuel: Yes, there is a better hitter than Barton, but he's clearly in the discussion. Jim Callis and I both have talked to scouts who put Barton right in the discussion with the top hitters in the minors. My choice for the Minors' Best Hitter is . . . Casey Kotchman. I guess it's the .342-.423-.519 that does it for me including stops above the Midwest League. Throw in that Kotchman is a Gold Glove 1B while Barton doesn't really profile as average defensively at any position, and that explains some of Barton's ranking. The bat is the most important tool and h is bat is clearly a plus tool, but what if Barton turns out to be Jack Cust? Just saying . . . I worry when a player's scouting report contains the phrase "lack of athleticism."

Does Erick Aybar really have a higher ceiling than Sergio Santos?
 A: 

John Manuel: Actually, I'd say Santos' ceiling is higher because he could be a 30-homer shortstop. But the likelihood of him reaching that ceiling is what gives me pause--can he play shortstop and will his offseason shoulder surgery really solve this nagging injury he has dealt with? I don't know that we've seen the real Sergio Santos, and 2005 will really tell us more about who has the higher ceiling. I'm comfortable ranking Aybar higher because of his athleticism at shortstop and I think we know more about the kind of player he is going to be.

Q:  Phil Coyle from Boulder, CO asks:
Joel Guzman has put up solid, if perhaps unspectacular, power numbers in the minors. What is a realistic time frame for his arrival in Los Angeles, what position will he play and what kind of homerun numbers do you see in his future ?
 A: 

John Manuel: He seems to be making his own timetable; if he progresses as quickly as he did last year, who's to say he can't help in LA this year? More realistic, he probably could use one more year in the minors to face upper-level breaking stuff, then another to learn another position. We see him as a 30-homer corner OF down the line, but he can play shortstop very competantly now. He's just probably not going to do it when he fills out and finishes growing, when he might be 6-foot-7, 250 pounds. If he's playing SS at that size . . . well, then we should have ranked him first!

What are the top five minor league systems in baseball?
 A: 

John Manuel: You'll have to buy the book to get the order, but alphabetically (considering Anaheim, not LA, as the Angels' home, because that court fight isn't over), we have them as Anaheim, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Milwaukee and Minnesota.

Q:  David from my desk asks:
Looking over the Top 100 (as well as your recent Top 100 history), what teams -- big market or small market -- should seriously consider dumping their scouting directors? Which teams in recent history have failed most miserably in finding high-level prospects? And which have had the worse luck with injuries (and maybe should consider firing the responsible coaches and trainers)?
 A: 

John Manuel: I'll answer a somewhat different question. I wonder about the Royals' approach to player development, because they repeatedly draft for signability rather than trying to find the players who can do the most to help them. They went for it with Colt Griffin and Roscoe Crosby and got burned big-time; they went for it again with Zack Greinke, though, and look at that payoff. I hope they budget the money to be bold in 2005 with the No. 2 overall pick, because player development is the only way they will find premium players in the current market. The Tigers already have looked at their system and made the changes you are talking about; the Astros took similar steps with a new scouting director.

Q:  Tom from Scranton asks:
How does Zach Duke's stuff compare with Ian Snell, Matt Peterson or a healthy Sean Burnett? I think Snell might be the best of the bunch if the Pirates will just let him keep starting.
 A: 

John Manuel: Duke has solid stuff but an advanced feel for pitching and throwing strikes. Burnett's stuff was never at Duke's level, he's always been a command guy and he never put up strikeout numbers like Duke did in '04. Matt Peterson has solid stuff but lacks Duke's command or feel. You're in the minority on Ian Snell, a smallish righthanded pitcher whose stuff is just a shade better than Duke if at all. He's throwing harder, but the grading scales are different for RHPs and LHPs; an LHP throwing 89-91 is a tick above average (i.e., the average big league LHP doesn't throw that hard), while that's average for an RHP. Also, Snell "could use a dose of maturity," as John Perrotto wrote in our Prospect Handbook. Snell's 23; he probably shouldn't have that written about him at 23. That's also a big factor for me.

Q:  Mike from Toronto asks:
who do you see as being a better overall players in the majors, Upton or Nelson?
 A: 

John Manuel: Upton, but I actually think the question is worth asking. Nelson's bat should be pretty spectacular, like Upton's, but B.J. has wicked power that I don't think Nelson can match.

Q:  Todd from Eagan, MN asks:
How does Mark Rogers make your list but not Ben Hendrickson? Also how does the Brewers 2b Hernan Iberanean not make the list with the season he put up.. he was just as impressive as Barfield was in 2003.
 A: 

John Manuel: Hendrickson's average fastball makes his ceiling considerably lower than Rogers', who has plus-plus stuff potentially. Iribarren is an exciting prospect, but to compare his '04 with Barfield's '03, remember Barfield did it in high Class A over a full season, not a half-season in the Arizona League. Major, major difference. Iribarren definitely could be on this list next year, though, very exciting prospect.

Q:  Kevin from Toronto asks:
Why do you have Tad Iguchi as the 5th best rookie for 2005 and yet 99th on your top 100 overall? Most of those bottom 50 will never even play full time in the majors.
 A: 

John Manuel: Because the two lists are vastly different. It's ceiling for the Top 100, and performance in the big leagues in 2005 for the Rookie list. Iguchi should be a solid, solid player this year, a solid average 2b, but compared to the others on this Top 100, we think the guys in front of him have more of a chance to be stars. I'd also love to hear from some of you about how we should treat Japanese players; my feeling is that Iguchi shouldn't even be a prospect, because he's essentially a major league free agent. His major league just happened to be in Japan. As for the second comment, many of the bottom top 50 already HAVE played in the majors--Merkin Valdez, Jesse Crain, Chris Burke, Brandon League, Clint Nageotte just to name a few.

Q:  Trader J from Indy asks:
John - Love the top 100. How close was Jonathan Broxton? The Bull put up some great numbers in the FSL and was rated ahead of Petit and LaRoche in the FSL top 20.
 A: 

John Manuel: Broxton was quite close, actually in the mix from 93-107 or so, where we really had some interesting debates. The fact his best profile might be as a reliever helped keep him behind some others, but he's clearly a guy we think a lot of.

Q:  John M. Perkins from asks:
I thought the 4 Rangers were about right, but others were upset particularly about the absence of Juan Dominguez. One claim was, if Dominguez were a Brave, he'd have made the list. How much do Ranger pitchers get dinged for being Rangers, or Braves bumped up for being Braves? And similarly, how much weight do you get for being highly drafted? The fact that Ian Kinsler is ahead of Adrian Gonzalez does point that the original draft is not (everything).
 A: 

John Manuel: The first question is a farce; Ranger pitchers don't get dinged for being Rangers, or Braves extra points for being Braves. Dominguez has serious makeup issues being addressed again in Rangers camp this spring; that is a major strike against him. His breaking ball has developed well though over the last year, but what's his ceiling? Third starter, fourth? I'm wary of fastball-changeup RHPs after my ride on the Dewon Brazelton bandwagon. As for being highly drafted, I'd say a player's amateur reputation matters more than where he was drafted; a player who had a strong amateur reputation, we probably give that guy a longer rope after a poor season, because he probably has big tools. Gonzalez was a signability No. 1 overall pick, though, in a terrible draft. Meanwhile, Kinsler plays a more important defensive position and has shown more power, so that out-weighs where they were drafted.

Q:  Jason M. from New York City asks:
Why wasn't Yusmeiro Petit ranked higher? I thought he'd be up in the top 30.
 A: 

John Manuel: He's at 46, so it's not like we disagree so much. All the pitchers ahead of him have bigger stuff, longer track records of success at higher levels, better bodies or some combination of those factors. I like where we have him.

Q:  Mike from Manassas VA asks:
How did Royals #3 prospect Mark Teahen make the Top 100, but Royals #2 prospect Denny Bautista miss the cut?
 A: 

John Manuel: Will Kimmey, who ranked the Royals, didn't have a vote! Bautista was quite close to making the back end of the list, but we took the polished bat over the arm-strength, command-challenged pitcher. Bautista is a player we had a pretty big divide on, for what it's worth.

I think Mauer on this list is a cop-out. He's not a rookie based on 'time on roster' why include him?
 A: 

John Manuel: Peter, we have our rules, and we don't include roster service time. Someone earlier asked about David Bush not being included, but he made 16 big league starts and threw 98 innings; that's beyond the realm of a prospect pretty clearly. At 100 or so ABs, I don't think Mauer has established himself as a major leaguer yet.

Q:  Trent from Orange County, California asks:
How close did Dioner Navarro come to making your Top 100?
 A: 

John Manuel: Not really; he didn't even make the Dodgers top 10. I am not a real believer in Navarro's bat and I'm not sure he's an everyday catcher. Kind of says a bit of what I think of the Yankees system considering I ranked him fifth there, but that system and the Dodgers are just not even comparable.

Q:  Wayne from West Brookfield, MA asks:
Matt Tuisasosopo had a ton of buzz after a strong showing in rookie ball.....what seperated him from Josh Fields (who made the top 100)....was it the power difference?
 A: 

John Manuel: His future position is unsure, and he didn't exactly tear up the Northwest League. He was discussed, but he's just not quite Top 100 ready. Fields has power at a premium position and had a nice debutg in a high Class A league. He needs to control the strike zone better, but there aren't many 3Bs in the big leagues who can hit 20-25 homers, and he can.

Q:  Steve Smith from Chicago asks:
I like the quality of the top prospects of the Rockies, with the top 3B, second rated SS and LHP in the minors. Can you comment on where Ubaldo may have rated within the RHP if he wouldnt have been hurt. How does his stuff compare with other hard throwing RHPs?
 A: 

John Manuel: We like the Rockies system as well, major improvement in 2004. Ubaldo Jimenez would have ranked higher if healthy, obviously, his performance would have helped dictate where he ranks. The quote we used in the story says it all--he was right up there with Matt Cain and Felix H. in terms of stuff when he got hurt.

Nice to see the high rank for Hanley Ramirez....what made him jump to the top ten this year? I figured since he had a good (not great) year....he would stay in the mid 20s.
 A: 

John Manuel: He's got big tools, starting with the bat, in the middle of the diamond and peformed well at a young age in high Class A and Double-A. Also, his improved maturity and response to authority and coaching this year was a major step forward for him.

Q:  Jason from Work asks:
How much more time does Felix Hernandez need in the minors?
 A: 

John Manuel: Need, or will he get? It wouldn't hurt him to spend all or part of 2005 in the minors learning the grind more, facing advanced hitters in Double-A and Triple-A. It sounds like he's nnot going to get much more time in the minors if any, maybe a month at Tacoma? He's lighting up Mariners camp, and I don't know if Ryan Franklin or Jorge Campillo can hold him off.

Q:  Stephen Milner from Lexington, KY asks:
What is your take on Phillies LHP Cole Hamels -- is his drop in rankings due primarily to his lost year, injuries, makeup, revisions in estimates of his "upside"? I know about his recent Razzles dustup, but is there lingering concerns about the elbow issues from 2004?
 A: 

John Manuel: He's got some big strikes against him; Jim Callis and I both had him in our personal Top 50s before his latest injury, an injury that really hurts his prospect status for me because it's evidence he's not acting like a professional, pure and simple. He's got to act like a pro to be one. Also, the missed development time doesn't help. Neither does being too sore to help Team USA in the fall of 2003, or too sore to pitch much in 2004, or his arm injury in high school. There's a pattern developing, and I'm wary of the track record.

Q:  Jason from Work asks:
ETA for Matt Cain in the bigs?
 A: 

John Manuel: This year; he's also lighting up spring training with the Giants, and though it's early, he's going to pitch his way into their crowded rotation if he keeps throwing the heck out of it like he has this spring.

Q:  Josh from St. Pete, FL asks:
Would Jered Weaver have ranked ahead of Jeff Niemann (#20) if he had signed with the Angels? If I'm not mistaken Niemann is the highest ranked player from last year's draft. Also, why no Delwyn Young love in the Top 100? Left off the Dodgers Top 10 also? Is there something that I'm not seeing because 22 Hrs for a middle infielder in the FSL is awesome. Thanks.
 A: 

John Manuel: I've answered the first question from my standpoint (no); Young probably isn't a middle infielder. He's similar to Willy Aybar in that both are offense-first 2Bs who profile better defensively at other positions. Young's better power makes him the better prospect in our estimation, and he could be a big league regular as a corner OF, but that helps explain his absence from the Top 100.

Q:  Jon Lasken from Clifton, VA asks:
How far away was chuck tiffany from making the top 100 and what does he project to in the majors? In a chat on the dogders it was suggested he would actually make it. Thanks!
 A: 

John Manuel: Tiffany was in the discussion a bit; lots of Dodgers were. He's got a stocky body and will have to watch his weight and his mechanics to make sure he stays on top of his stuff throughout his career. That's a concern for me, he wasn't in my Top 100.

What seperates Nick Swisher from guys ranked behind him like Brian Anderson and Conor Jackson who most people say have a higher ceiling? Is it Swisher's major league job?
 A: 

John Manuel: On the plus side, he's shown more home run power, he's a very patient hitter who also showed the ability last year to adjust from just drawing walks to finding pitching to drive and then consistently driving the ball. He's a solid defender and will be even at 1B if he has to move, not the case for Jackson. And he's a switch-hitter. The devil's advocate side is, he's older than those guys; unlike Anderson, he's not a big league CF, at least no one I've talked to projects him to be a CF. Good debate, but I like Swisher's resume better.

Q:  Jay from Oshkosh, WI asks:
I'm biased because I'm a Brewer fan, but where are Corey Hart and Nelson Cruz in the Top 100 list?
 A: 

John Manuel: Both really just missed it; Hart looks like a solid player but not spectacular, while Cruz had done it for one year; just not quite the track record for the Top 100 yet, at least IMO.

Q:  Sarub from Eugene, OR asks:
How could you guys leave Ervin Santana off the Top 100 list when all he had was a injury filled year that shouldn't affect his long term potential.
 A: 

John Manuel: Because he was hurt twice, shoulder and elbow, and didn't show a whole lot of desire to come back this year, causing the Angels to question his makeup and desire to be great? He just missed the cut, and we like his upside, but the chances of him reaching his upside went down this year, considerably so.

Q:  Brighid from Washington, DC asks:
What's with ranking Homer Bailey ahead of Kyle Davies?
 A: 

John Manuel: Better stuff, much better really, a grade or two ahead in terms of the fastball and curveball. Davies' best pitch is his change, but it's the difference between a No. 1 future guy (or No. 2), and Davies being a future No. 3-4 guy. Yes, Bailey has a long way to go; we know the risk inherent in a prep RHP. He's got much more of a chance to be special than Davies has.

Q:  Dave from Fresno asks:
Javier Herrera was identified as a potential "sleeper" by Jim Callis in his latest mailbag. If Herrera were an American who had attended an American high school do you believe he would be placed higher on the Top 100 list? Do international prospects get underestimated as a group?
 A: 

John Manuel: I don't know if international prospects get underestimated at higher levels; perhaps at lower levels because we don't know as much about those players. I think that's fair, but ranking prospects is all about information, about tools, stats, makeup, etc. The less information you have, the more guesswork you're doing. Herrera might have placed higher if he hadn't had his injury in 2003, or if he had played in a full-season league, or if he had a bigger frame, or if he had been a first-round pick out of an American HS. They're all factors. He also was in the discussion late in the list.

Q:  Michael from Wayland Ma asks:
The Red Sox seem to have a lot of SS prospects, so where do you think all of them will fit in in the futre? Position changes? Trades?
 A: 

John Manuel: Pedroia to 2b, Ramirez to CF if he's not traded, Soto to a corner OF or 3b because he has big power potential . . . too early to tell on Lara. Kenny Perez to 2b.

Q:  Eric from Port Chester, NY asks:
Why was Ryan Howard so low? Do you suspect the Phillies will attempt to destroy him the same way Houston does with its young hitters?
 A: 

John Manuel: He's 24, strikes out a lot and can't play the outfield. Otherwise, though, the guy's a heck of a player--huge power, soft hands and a good defender at 1B. I don't know what the Phillies are supposed to do with him, though, it's not hard to find productive, cheap 1Bs, so he's hard to trade.

Q:  Heath from Lakeland, FL asks:
How quickly do you see Mike Hinckley getting a shot in the Show this season? Could he be up before the All-Star break? How effective do you think he might be in the majors this season?
 A: 

John Manuel: Depends on the health of the rest of the Nationals rotation, but I'd actually say he won't be up too early otherwise, he could use another year. If you're asking for fantasy purposed, I don't see Hinckley as a guy who can really help in 2005.

Q:  Scott from Costa Mesa, Ca asks:
Ian Stewart from #55 to #4? what makes him better than all the other 3rd base prospects? Is it possible for him to rank #1 next year? La Quinta Aztec alumni!!!
 A: 

John Manuel: Stewart, even more than Marte, combines the ability to play 3b with a polished, pure hitting ability. I'm not knocking Marte, but most scouts like Stewart better. He could rank No. 1, he's that good, he could be the best position player in the minor leagues. Probably not; Joel Guzman could pass him, Delmon Young could be better, I'm sure others (maybe Marte or Francoeur) could pass him . . . but don't rule it out.

Q:  Jeff from Los Altos, CA asks:
Do guys like Weaver and Townsend benefit from having time off? I always here about some college pitchers being overworked. Can this layoff for these two actually be a plus?
 A: 

John Manuel: I don't think the time off helps; I wrote a Prospect Pulse over the winter about how clubs like to get their pitchers on throwing schedules and strength programs that put them in line with other pitchers in the organization. Townsend is working out at IMG's facilities in Florida, and Weaver's throwing at the Scott Boras Corperation's facility, so both guys are throwing, but I think it would help more if they were in spring training camps. I think both players would rather be in camps too. Too much time off, I believe, counts pitchers muscle memory and arm strength. Weaver was used very judiciously in college as well; sorry, coach Graham, but Wade was ridden a little harder at Rice. But he hasn't pitched competitively since last June, and that's not good for anybody. Same goes for Weaver.

Q:  Connor from Hartford, CT asks:
What's the more likely scenario: a) James Loney has a huge breakout year, proving his top prospect status or b) Loney has another injury-filled disapointing season, which takes him off these lists?
 A: 

John Manuel: I'm saying A, but good point, Connor; Loney needs to stop tantalizing (remember last spring?) and start producing in the regular season to keep his prospect status, and I'm sure he's already lost that for many people. Southern League scouts really, really liked him last summer, though.

Q:  Matthias Peters-Kroll from Scottish Parliament asks:
Who has the better career, Marte or McPherson...same question regarding Capellan and Dan Meyer?
 A: 

John Manuel: Marte; McPherson is an interesting prospect, hard to get past the power, but also the strikeouts . . . maybe he's Adam Dunn at 3b? I'll take Dan Meyer personally over Capellan, who doesn't have great secondary stuff and might be a reliever, Meyer is pretty darn good.

Q:  Michael from Hayward, CA asks:
BA never wrote a scouting report for Jeff Niemann of Tampa Bay, yet Niemann ranks 20th on the top 100. Can you supply a brief scouting report on Niemann regarding his strengths and weaknesses? What type of pitcher does he project as? A starter or reliever?
 A: 

John Manuel: We've written tons of Niemann scouting reports in our draft coverage, and wrote another thumbnail sketch yesterday in our Jered Weaver story. He's a starter, maybe the best starter available in the 2004 draft; I certainly think so.

Moderator: And now, with 250+questions still to go, we present the 30 minute lightning round, one-sentence answers only!

Q:  Deywane from Memphis asks:
Where is Joey Votto, man he put up some imprssive numbers. And did Thomas Pauly come close at all?
 A: 

John Manuel: Neither was in the discussion, sorry.

Q:  Paul from Camden, NJ asks:
Any chance given the fragility of Brian Jordan's body and Raul Mondesi's mind that Jeff Francouer will get a real shot this season?
 A: 

John Manuel: A very good chance, in fact, I think it will happen after the all-star break.

Q:  Steve O from Astoria asks:
If the Twins had announced Mauer was moving to third, where would he rank then? Is he so smooth a hitter he could still be top 5, similar to Blalock at the same age?
 A: 

John Manuel: Yes, his bat is that good; I might still have ranked him No. 1 or 2.

Q:  Sean from Seattle WA asks:
I've heard Kendry Morales compared to Miguel Cabrera, but he ranks pretty far down on the top 100. Are there a wide range of opinions on his abilities ? What is your opinion for his impact for this year and beyond.
 A: 

John Manuel: Impact for this year will be somewhat muted, the transition is difficult, but he's a long-term regular with power, possible all-star corner OF or 1B.

Q:  Jeremy from Orlando, FL asks:
How long will it take for the Brewers to turn Jose Capellan into their closer or does Capellan have a chance with his limited pitches to succeed as a starter?
 A: 

John Manuel: Prediction here is he'll get 3 months to show progress on the secondary stuff before he winds up a dominant closer.

Q:  Jack from Richmond County asks:
Is there really any question as to Felix Hernandez's real age or is it just because he's South American that its an issue? Also, what type of pitcher can he be, who would you compare him to?
 A: 

John Manuel: Not much question on the age after repeated prying, and he's in a class by himself as far as his future, he could be that good.

Q:  Simon Boisvert from Montreal, Canada asks:
John, Considering they have so many prospects in the top 100, do you rank Oakland's system near the top this year? If not, what are they missing?
 A: 

John Manuel: Definitely high, only thing missing for me is pitching depth (particularly LHPs), but they addressed that in the offseason through trades. Very strong system.

Q:  Trader j from Indy asks:
How could Joe Mauer be your #1 and not show up on the Top 20 Rookies list?
 A: 

John Manuel: Because he's not rookie-eligible, just prospect-eligible. We make a distinction re: service time.

Q:  Nate from Marietta, OH asks:
Is Cole Hamels the next Brien Taylor?
 A: 

John Manuel: No, he wasn't the No. 1 overall pick who set a bonus record by several hundred thousand dollars.

Q:  Ken from Alexandria, VA asks:
Given this list, is the NYM minor league system better than the NYY's system?
 A: 

John Manuel: Yes, it is, I believe that's a consensus opinion in the halls of BA.

Q:  Carlos from Atlanta asks:
How much of a difference is there between D. Young and J. Franceour?
 A: 

John Manuel: Young has more power and better hitting ability, but not by much. It's close. (Damn! Two sentences!)

Q:  Todd from Eagan, MN asks:
Where would have Mike Jones, Manny Parra, and Chris Saenz ranked if at all if they were healthy this year.
 A: 

John Manuel: Parra might have made the Top 100 with his Double-A success, but the other two are biggest question marks for injuries (Jones) and track record (Saenz, who has never dominated).

Q:  Todd from Linden, MI asks:
Hi and thanks for your insights. Don't want to be a Ranger Hater, but to my limited knowledge, they don't have a sterling track record for 'growing' good, young pitching. With that said, what is your opinion on the future of Diamond and Danks? Can they contribute anytime soon? Can they do it as Rangers? Thanks.
 A: 

John Manuel: Grady Fuson's influence makes me think they can be better than the average Rangers pitching prospect.

Q:  Chris Olson from Washington, DC asks:
What sort of ceiling do you see for Michael Aubrey? With his injury issues, how long do you think it might be until he gets a call from Cleveland? Thanks for helping me get through the rest of my work week!
 A: 

John Manuel: Sean Casey kind of player.

Q:  Anthony Peruchietti from Dearborn Heights, MI asks:
Would Billy Butler rank higher on the list if not for his defensive limitations? Is Butler a DH waiting to happen?
 A: 

John Manuel: Definitely, if he could play 3b, he'd rank higher, but he's a 1B or DH.

Q:  John from Burlington, Ky asks:
Why is Greg Miller so low? Is his shoulder that much of a concern, and does he still have a chance to be a #1 starter?
 A: 

John Manuel: Because he's had two shoulder surgeries and missed a whole year of development.

Q:  Joe from NYNY asks:
Was Quiroz given the edge over Russell Martin because he is closer to the majors? No doubt Quiroz is the better defensive catcher, but it seems that there is still some debate over just how well hell hit (at least for average), while Martin is a decent (and improving) defender with a more well rounded offensive game.
 A: 

John Manuel: 1) better defense at a position where defense remains very important in the profile and (2) solid offensive potential. It's pretty close.

Q:  Josh from Carrollton, GA asks:
I see LHP Jake Stevens made your top 100, what's your opinion on this very young LHP? Also, it's good to see Kyle Davies getting some love!! Thanks!
 A: 

John Manuel: I'm a big Stevens guy and actually like him better than Davies.

Q:  louis from texas asks:
How good is rockies Chris nelson, and when do u project him to be in the majors. Also do u believe nelson would have been the number 1 overall pick if he was not injured
 A: 

John Manuel: As I've said I like him; the Padres didn't consider him a No. 1 kind of guy, more of a value pick at Nos. 8-11 or so, so they didn't bear down on him. Then their ownership helped foul up the pick.

Q:  Todd from Linden, MI asks:
What do you foresee as Billy Butler's peak upside? Will he push Teahen out from 3B? If so, when?
 A: 

John Manuel: Won't push Teahen, ultimate upside is like a righthanded Travis Hafner type.

Q:  Andy C. from Charlottesville, VA asks:
We all know the Milledges, Francoeurs, etc. (and then the next level with Gutierrez, Pie) as very toolsy kids with high upside. Who are some of the lesser known sleepers with amazing tools in lower levels not on the top 100 list that could potentially make large impacts?
 A: 

John Manuel: Javi Herrera is one. Matt Kemp, Dodgers; Josh Burrus, Braves; Marcus Sanders, Giants; Yuber Rodriguez, Blue Jays; Greg Golson, Phillies; Marcos Vecchionacci, Yankees. There are some good candidates.

Q:  Ted from Wilmington, DE asks:
John, OK - I know it's a BIG assumption, but assuming he was both mentally & physically ready to go.....would Josh Hamilton garner attention for the Top 100 list, or has he been away from the game too long? The last article run by BA a few weeks ago appeared that he might be making strides on getting his life back together. Any update on his status? Thanks John.
 A: 

John Manuel: Not for me, let's see him get his life together first.

Q:  Craig M from Los Angeles asks:
It appears that Dodger fans should keep tabs on their AA team in Jacksonville, will be that be the most talented team in the minors this year with, Guzman, Billingsley, LaRoche, Young and probably Loney on the team?
 A: 

John Manuel: That team should be absolutely loaded, I agree completely.

Q:  Jim-Beau from left coast asks:
If not for 1.) being rushed; 2.) an injury on the big club ; and 3.) a few extra ABs costing them their possible eligibility for the Top 100, where might Phillips, Peralta and Sizemore have landed. [And position or no position, Garko will probably out hit more than half of the hitters on the list. Its not like Conor Jackson or Ryan Howard are GG candidates. Garko should have made the list.] As always, thanks for the chat.
 A: 

John Manuel: I'll just take the Garko part of the question--we love Garko as a player and as a person, but he's just not a Top 100 type of player if he's a 400 at-bats, platoon guy without a full-time position.

Q:  Matt from Sarasota asks:
After following Jon Papelbon for a year down here, I really think this kid has the potnetial to be a number one starter in the bigs. He might have been a little older for the Sally League but it was only his first year of full time starting. What do you think the future holds for me as a pitcher and with the Red Sox organization?
 A: 

John Manuel: Jim Callis and I disagree quite a bit on Papelbon, he's with you, I'm just not quite there.

Q:  steve S from Davis, CA asks:
In comparison to other RHPs, this may be the highest Matt Cain ranks on any list. I hope you are right, but I am bit skeptical. Can you explain why Cain is ranked ahead of both Miller and Billingsly?
 A: 

John Manuel: I like Cain's fastball command better and his knockout breaking ball.

Q:  Ryan from Ma asks:
Any reason to belive that Brandn Moss can put up the numbers he did last year, or was last year more of a fluke year.
 A: 

John Manuel: Again, I disagree with Jim, he's more sanguine on the Sox' prospects than I am, and that includes Moss.

Q:  Blair from Greater Los Angeles Anaheim asks:
Hi John, thanks for the chat as always. Why aren't the Angels even considering Casey Kotchman as their DH this year. Why wouldn't they put him there over DaVanon, Rivera, Quinlan, etc. There's been so much talk about Kendry Morales even starting there over Kotchman. If they aren't going to use him, why wouldn't they trade him? Thanks again.
 A: 

John Manuel: I can't answer that one, I don't see why he's not a lock for the major league club, but the options they have are actually pretty solid, particularly Morales and Quinlan.

Q:  Jack Burton from Toronto asks:
What happened within the last 4 months to cause you to flop Hill and League as the top Blue Jay prospect?
 A: 

John Manuel: We just see League as having a higher ceiling as either a very solid starter, No. 2 type of guy, or dominant closer, as opposed to Aaron Hill, who's average across the board. Hill's makeup is also a significant factor for him as a positive, it could have gone either way.

Q:  Kyle from Rockford, IL asks:
My question is an attempt to more clearly understand your list. Can you give a 'Readers Digest' overview of how you actually rank and compare the players. I know that age and level are considered. Is it a combination of actual stats achieved plus theoretical upside? Does the position and team affect the ranking? For example, because Oakland not only has Dotel, but also J. Garcia, then H. Street is lower in expectations and rankings. Is that a factor? Thanks, it's interesting to catch a glimpse of how the experts look at these guys.
 A: 

John Manuel: I wrote a Prospect Pulse on just this subject which will be part of this Top 100 package online this weekend.

Q:  Bill from Denver, CO asks:
Will Adam Loewen ever live up to his hype and huge signing bonus?
 A: 

John Manuel: signs point to no

Q:  Larry from Long Island, NY asks:
Although I am a Yankee fan giddy over the fact that the Mets got fleeced in the Kazmir trade, I still take interest in him seeing as how my team can't come within spitting distance of prospects like him. Out of curiosity -- given his size, age and violent pitching action, do you see Kazmir more as a starter or closer type? I can't help but think Kazmir will eventually flame-out as a starter or suffer an arm injury.
 A: 

John Manuel: My money's on dominant starter.

Q:  Brian Daniels from Kennesaw, Georgia asks:
Hi, I ordered my prospect handbook from another source and it said it would be delivered on MAY 3rd. Shameless plug time, when does the book come out? Thanks for the chat
 A: 

John Manuel: Books were shipped out this week to those who pre-ordered.

Q:  Kiley McDaniel from Odessa, FL asks:
How much did Chad Orvella, Reid Brignac, and Elijah Dukes miss the Top 100 by? Dukes and Orvella seem like the high ceiling guys that usually sneak on the back end of the Top 100. And who do you see as a comp for these guys?
 A: 

John Manuel: Brignac was close for me, Orvella too, not Dukes because of the makeup (sense a recurring theme here for me?).

Love the chats. Is there any prospect with greater power potential than Brian Dopirak?
 A: 

John Manuel: Delmon Young, Joel Guzman, Dallas McPherson, Prince Fielder all very comparable if not better.

Q:  arthur kreisberg from brooklyn asks:
Where would you place Ambiorix Conception, and Shawn Bowman? Ambiorix is better than some of your bottom 50, that I have seen, and the Mets consider Bowman a better than average prospect.
 A: 

John Manuel: Bowman probably needs more love; we might be a little slow recognizing his athleticism and bat. I'm not a believer in Ambiorix, do it in full-season ball.

Q:  Brad from Fort Wayne, IN asks:
Love the chats, thank you. I was just curious on nic jackson's omission, I am sure it is because of unjury concerns, but do you still view him as a top 100 prospect?
 A: 

John Manuel: Uh, yeah, that and the fact he was mediocre the last time he was healthy in 2003; he didn't make the Cubs Top 30.

How close did Billy Petrick come to making the top 100? I'm sure Jim Callis was pulling for him...
 A: 

John Manuel: He actually wasn't, and I was, he came close but no cigar.

Q:  Robert from Warwick, RI asks:
Hanely Ramirez at Number 10. I notice off a first glance that the sox have 3? prospects in the top 100. Any chance of them, at this time being considered one of the teams with a top 10 Farm?
 A: 

John Manuel: No, not much depth there, and as I've said, Jim's more sanguine on the organization than I am.

Q:  Daniel Pelletier from Livermore Falls, ME asks:
Why is Ian Kinsler ranked so low in the top 100? Do you think his 2004 season was a fluke or do you think he is gonna develop into an above average 2B'men?
 A: 

John Manuel: Because he's done it once, and I think we all want to see him do it again. I do think he'll be an above-average 2B down the line, though.

Q:  Jason from Charlotte asks:
The Braves generally don't overhype their prospects. However, the organization seems quite confident that Luis Hernandez can take over the ss position when Furcal leaves via free agency this winter. Does BA have this same confidence since he didn't make the Top 100? He doesn't get much acknowledgement for his season at High A while being one of the youngest.
 A: 

John Manuel: We like Hernandez, he was in the discussion for the top 100.

John Manuel: With more than 200 questions still in the queue, I'm going to have to call a halt to the proceedings. I'd like to thank everyone for the questions, this was a lot of fun, and thanks for your attention and interest in BA. Jim Callis chats Top 100 on Monday on ESPN.com, check it out at 4 p.m. Eastern. Thanks.

Page Not Found - BaseballAmerica.com
The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint