White Sox Chat with Phil Rogers

Moderator: Phil Rogers will begin taking your questions at 2 p.m. ET

Moderator: sorry for the delay -- we had some technical glitches -- but all is well and Phil has arrived.

Moderator: Thanks for waiting everybody. I had an untimely computer crash but should be ready to go.

Q:  farmteam from Soxtalk asks:
Of McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, and Fields, who will arrive in Chicago the quickest, and who has the highest upside?
 A: 

Moderator: Now let's get going. Those are currently the top four guys in the system. I'd guess they'll arrive in this order -- McCarthy, Anderson, Fields and Sweeney. I absolutely love Sweeney's potential. The kid can really hit, and he's an athlete. So I'll say he's the most likely All-Star on this list. Behind him, I'll call it Fields (big power at a thin position), Anderson and McCarthy.

Q:  Frank the Tank from North Aurora, Il asks:
Is there any long term hope for us Sux fans as long as Kenny Williams keeps trading away our best prospects for mediocre talent?
 A: 

Moderator: Well, Kenny does like to make his trades. But the Sox are one of the few teams that haven't given up or failed to sign any first-rounders. They invest heavily in acquiring amateur talent, especially American talent. They are doing better in the Dominican, which is encouraging. And not to defend Kenny too vigorously, but so far the Sox have done a decent job deciding who to trade and who to keep. The worst deal he's made since that Todd Ritchie disaster is sending Josh Rupe, Franky Francisco and Anthony Webster to Texas for Carl Everett.

Q:  John from Albany, NY asks:
Do you think the promise of Sweeney and Anderson played a role in the Sox dealing Jeremy Reed?
 A: 

Moderator: There's no doubt that it was a big factor, especially Anderson. Reed doesn't project to have nearly as much power and Anderson is better defensively in center field. They might have traded Joe Crede if they didn't have Reed to use as a bargaining chip. It's going to be interesting to see how Reed does in Seattle, which looks like a good place for him to hit.

Q:  Blake Guyer from Madison, WI asks:
Thanks for doing the chat, I noticed Gio Gonzalez was near the bottom of your top ten. But you said that the white sox were lucky to get him so late. What gives, why isn't he higher up on the list?
 A: 

Moderator: He's gonna move a lot higher if he maintains his 2004 performance in '05. I just think you have to be somewhat leery of getting caught in up great performances over a short time, especially with puppies like Gonzalez.

Q:  Tony from Orland Park, IL asks:
I saw Brian Anderson in the Arizona Fall League and he looked like a overrated prospect to me - I didn't see any tool of his that would be a 60 grade on the 20-80 scale. I think Aaron Rowand is a much better player than Anderson. Thoughts?
 A: 

Moderator: Remember that Anderson was playing on bad wheels. He was shut down with hamstringthigh problems in late August and still wasn't 100 percent for the Fall League. The Sox debated having him sit out but felt he could benefit from getting ABs against that level of pitching. I can't really compare Rowand to Anderson, because I've seen so much more of Rowand, but I do like Rowand. He has shortened his swing somewhat and become a really good hitter. He was a tough out last season, for sure. But consider how much big-league experience he has.

Q:  Haywood from Jablome, Montana asks:
Robert Valido looked like a potential top prospect coming into this year, but seemed to have a little problem with the bat after being promoted to a higher level. Do the Sox still see him as a potential starting SS with a great deal of upside or has he been downgraded in their eyes. Whats your take?
 A: 

Moderator: Valido's 2003 hitting was a pleasant surprise, so it's not a big surprise that he dropped off when making the jump to the South Atlantic League. That's a big jump for kids out of high school. The reports on him from the Instructional League were excellent. I think the Sox are waiting to see how he hits as he advances. There're no questions about his arm and his glove.

Where does Chris Young fit into the mix? The Sox are set at CF (Anderson)) and RF (Sweneey), so can Young play LF? Or do the Sox like Young in CF, and would prefer to move around Anderson and Sweeney? By all accounts, Anderson has played good defensively in Center. Thanks for your thoughts.
 A: 

Moderator: Young has a very high ceiling but it still quite raw. I'd say he's at least two years behind Sweeney, so we're talking about a late 2007 arrival. If those three guys were in the same outfield, I think you'd probably see Young in center, Sweeney in right and Anderson in left. And you would have yourself a top defensive outfield.

Q:  Jose from Puerto Rico asks:
Where does Andy Gonzalez stand in the organization's eyes? Seems like he is making progress, but that he has been surpassed by other in the W. Sox depth chart.
 A: 

Moderator: Gonzalez needs to come out hitting in 2005. He has been passed by Pedro Lopez and Rob Valido, to name two, and largely bounced around the infield last year. He has a cannon of an arm, which could make him valuable in a Tony Phillipsjack-of-all-trade role, but it comes down to hitting. He really dropped off in 2003 and '04.

Q:  Bob from Wilmette, Ill. asks:
Aside from injury, is Honel's biggest problem is that he is not coachable?
 A: 

Moderator: Bob, that's a reasonable question. I've not heard any real complaints from the White Sox, except that Kris puts too much pressure on himself and wants to throw the ball harder than he can. Supposedly that's why he tinkered with his mechanics last winter, which led to a lost season. It's possible he would have benefitted from being a second- or third-round pick, not a first-rounder. He was a reach in the first round.

Q:  Dilettante from Chicago asks:
Anderson and Sweeney knocked my socks off last spring. I'm looking forward to the seeing them find spots in the outfield at the Cell. But what have the Sox got in these guys really? What's the top? How good might these guys get?
 A: 

Moderator: Well, if you want to throw around names, Anderson could be a cross between Darin Erstad and Jim Edmonds. Sweeney could be a young Rafael Palmeiro. That's pretty high praise. I personally think Sweeney is a better bet. And you weren't alone in having your socks blown off, either. These guys, Sweeney especially, were the talk of Arizona. Both have moved fast and handled the jumps. Watch for Sweeney to have a big 2005. Last year was a real learning year for him, and he was still a Carolina League All-Star.

Q:  Rick from Oakville, Ontario asks:
Is there any hope for Joe Borchard, or is it time to punt?
 A: 

Moderator: It might be time for Borchard to pass (like he used to do for Stanford). The one thing that causes me to think he could still develop late is how he carries himself in a big-league clubhouse. He has a real sense of peace about him. If that is mental toughness, he's got a chance to grind it out and do something. But getting released from the Mexican League doesn't speak too well about his handling of breaking balls.

Q:  Dave from Kenosha, Wis. asks:
I am surprised Chris Young was ranked so high because of his massive amount of Ks. Kind of reminds me of Joe Borchard. Are the Sox now going to look for position players who make more contact because of "Ozzie Ball" instead of the free swingers like Borchard, Young, etc?
 A: 

Moderator: I don't see the Sox's emphasis on scouting changing. They look for tools over performance, generally. Keep in mind that Young is really, really young. He's got time to make some adjustments. One contact guy you might like is Adam Ricks. He played second at the University of Miami last year but figures to catch next year. He should be an OBP guy.

If Jeremy Reed wouldn't have been traded in the Freddy Garcia deal where would he be on this list? Would he be ahead of Brian Anderson?
 A: 

Moderator: These are always great questions. I think Anderson would have passed him, anyway, as Reed's performance dropped off and Anderson is more of a tools guy. But it sure would have been interesting to see how he would have handled the chance he could have gotten late in the season.

If the Sox become fed up with Crede at this year, will they be more apt to move Fields along faster, or find a veteran stopgap 3B (someone in the Herbert Perry mold) to play for a year or two until Fields is ready?
 A: 

Moderator: Crede definitely needs a strong first half in 2005 to hold onto his job. The people I talk to see Fields moving very fast, so a stop-gap may not be needed. But a veteran backup is probably a good idea, especially if Juan Uribe is the regular shortstop or second baseman.

Q:  Shawn from Batavia, IL asks:
Do Anderson andor Sweeney have a ceiling high enough to eventually make Mags an after thought?
 A: 

Moderator: Shawn, you might want to check the windows at your house or office. It's possible you're sniffing fumes from the nuclear plant. There's no way Magglio Ordonez is ever going to be an afterthought. That guy was a great player. I wish him nothing but the best in his comeback from the knee injury. It's a shame that he and the White Sox couldn't reach agreement on a long-term deal. If I had a dog, I might name it Maggs. That's how much I like him.

Q:  One Dawg from Louisville, Ky. asks:
Four years ago everybody raved about the Sox farm system. It was ranked Number One by BA. Rauch, Ginter, Wright, Parque, Biddle, Stumm, Purvis, Barcelo and so many others washed out. Do the Sox simply do a poor job of developing pitchers? And, of the players on the current Top 10 list, which two -- one position player, one pitcher -- have the best chance of becoming an all-star?
 A: 

Moderator: The Sox do a poor job of developing pitchers only in the sense that every team in the majors does a poor job. It's just really tricky business. Outside of Houston and maybe Florida, can you name a contender that has developed young pitching? Injuries and inconsistent performance are a way of life, and patience is hard to come by. It's always struck me as funny that the one pitcher the Sox did the best job with -- Mark Buehrle -- was never a big prospect. Goes to show what we know ... With that caveat, I'll take Ryan Sweeney and Brandon McCarthy as the most likely All-Stars.

What do you think of the Freddy Garcia deal? It seems to me that the white sox gave up one of their top prospects for a pitcher who has been very inconsistent of late.
 A: 

Moderator: With the exception of a stretch of three or four starts, I think Garcia gave the White Sox what they hoped he would. The thing they didn't know when they made that trade was that they were going to without Frank Thomas and Ordonez. They just couldn't score enough runs. I think this is the kind of trade they have to make when they just can't stockpile free agents.

Q:  Richard A. Smiley from Chicago, IL asks:
Thanks for doing this chat! What's your assessment of Jim Bullard? Will he make your top 30?
 A: 

Moderator: Hi Richard. Bullard didn't make my top 30 but could make it to the big leagues a lot quicker than many guys on the list. He's a left-handed reliever with the kind of large frame that gets noticed. It's not out of the question somebody will take him in the Rule 5 draft this year, as the Sox didn't protect him. But he just doesn't seem to have a big upside.

Q:  Jim from Alsip, IL asks:
Hey Phil, the last couple of years you were bragging about how great Joe Borchard was going to be - if you want to have any creditibility you need to say you were wrong - and more importantly whomever is feeding you this misinformation needs to be rebuked also.
 A: 

Moderator: I do vaguely remember writing a column about how Borchard could do for the Sox in 2003 what Lance Berkman has done for Houston. Uh, it's fair to say that didn't happen. But I'd still like to know what Borchard would have done had he not broken a bone in his foot in the spring of '03, when he was absolutely killing the ball in the White Sox's camp. Forgive me for seeing the glass as half-full. It's not the Chicago way, is it?

Q:  Tom McCullough from York PA asks:
Thanks for the chats. Last year Roberto Valido was the White Sox SS of the future while Juan Uribe was a short-term place holder. This year is Uribe projected as the long-term White Sox SS? If not, has Pedro Lopez replaced Valido as the White Sox SS of the future?
 A: 

Moderator: Thanks for the question Tom. It's an interesting mix of players that you mention. Personally I'd like to see how Uribe would do as the regular shortstop but I'll be surprised if he's there on Opening Day. Lopez is definitely a safer bet than Valido at this point. So if I'm picking for 2007, I'll take Lopez.

Q:  Scared White Sox Fan from Tennessee asks:
Can you see Kenny Williams making a Kazmir for Zambrano type trade in the near future?
 A: 

Moderator: How amazing was it that the Mets made those two trades -- for Zambrano and Benson -- when they were totally toast? I guess that's what a GM does when he's trying to save his job, and, yes, I can see Ken Williams feeling the heat in 2005. However, he won't make a Kazmir-for-Zambrano trade for a simple reason -- he doesn't have a Kazmir. That guy is a pure stud, a lot better than McCarthy or Tracey.

Will Robert Valido revert to his short season form in 2005 (he hit over .300 there in 2003) or will he be stuck in the .250s again, like last year?
 A: 

Moderator: I think the 250s are more likely than 300. He slid in the draft because scouts didn't think he could hit. So the burden of proof is on him.

Q:  SoxFan from Bridgeport asks:
Phil -- Based on the Sox paucity of prospects at first base and the emergence of OFers Anderson, Sweeney, Young, etc., is it logical to assume that Carlos Lee will be traded this winter to beef up the team and NOT Paul Konerko?
 A: 

Moderator: Don't forget that Lee could be moved to first base, too. He came up as a third baseman and some in the organization feel he could be an excellent first baseman. It's not out of the question that Carlos will get traded but I think Konerko is a lot more likely.

Q:  Mike from Montgomery, IL asks:
Phil, why don't just let Kenny Williams fill out this list himself because you are just his shill anyway?
 A: 

Moderator: Come on, Mike. Don't you know I work for Tribune Co.? How can I be a shill for any team other than our beloved Cubbies? (Editorial note: I'm kidding).

Q:  Donnie Buford from Zionsville, Ind. asks:
Is there any reason to believe Corwin Malone can still become a productive big-league pitcher, even as a reliever?
 A: 

Moderator: I hope so because he's a great kid. He should go to spring training healthy after a full recovery from Tommy John. He needs minor-league innings, which he should get.

Q:  Tom McCullough from York PA asks:
Felix Diaz has been described as a pitcher with dominant stuff but a pitcher who does not post dominant numbers. Is he still a prospect or is he a AAAA guy? Thanks.
 A: 

Moderator: He's still too young to be a 4-A guy. But I was stunned by how hard he got hit last year, especially at U.S. Cellular. It reminded me that it's one tough place to pitch these days. I think Diaz will have to prove himself as a reliever because he's fallen down the pecking order for the rotation.

Q:  Michael Stern from Rochester NY asks:
Why is Hernandez ranked only 8th? I'm surprised he's so low. According to your description he has all star potential - and he is good defensively - excellent at throwing out runners and hits for average - as well as power. Hee seems to be the full package - with a very high ceiling. Is it only the fact of his age and the low level he's played at that has a future all star at catcher ranked at #8? I would think he should be listed near the top of a mediocre system. Thanks for the chats - they're the best!
 A: 

Moderator: Michael, thanks for the nice words. You pretty much hit on why he wasn't higher. He's such a kid and still largely unproven (although he was a very good hittercatcher in the Dominican Summer League, too). Let's see how he holds up in a full-season league.

If Josh Fields goes down with an injury, would the sox be likely to shift Antoin Gray over to third, where he played in college?
 A: 

Moderator: Gray did indeed play third at Southern, because Rickie Weeks was the second baseman. He's a real defensive question mark. I think his arm pretty much limits him to second. But if he keeps hitting, he could be a very productive second baseman.

Q:  John from Dyer, IN asks:
Phil, couple things...knowing the recent history of the failed White Sox prospects, would these guys crack the top 10 of most teams or are they simply the "best" the White Sox have and where does the Sox minor league system rank amongst the other major league teams? How about an 11-15 Honorable Mention?
 A: 

Moderator: It seems to me the Sox are pretty much in the middle in terms of their top 10. But I did have more trouble coming up with Nos. 25-35 than I had in other years, which shows the thinning of the system. As for 11-15, I'm not sure what order we're settling on for the book, but I'd look at guys like Valido, Rogowski, Ray Liotta, Lumsden, Munoz, Schnurstein and Gray.

I'm guessing that Lumsden, Liotta, and Whisler will all make your top 30, but will there be any others from the 2004 draft? What's your assessment of the draft?
 A: 

Moderator: Seems to me that was a great draft, Richard, especially for left-handed pitchers. The three that you mentioned all have big upsides, as does Gonzalez. I actually like Adam Ricks, who I mentioned earlier, better than the catcher they drafted -- Stanford's Donny Lucy. Ricks is a real sleeper.

Q:  Jim H. from Naperville IL asks:
Hi neighbor, thanks as always for doing this chat. Since the most popular phrase with the White Sox these days is "under the radar", tell us about about some guys Dave Wilder and crew really like ... Maybe some that aren't in the Top 10 who have a good chance long term? Thanks Phil.
 A: 

Moderator: There are some pitchers from the 2002 draft -- lefthanders Daniel Haigwood and Ryan Rodriguez come to mind. Outfielder Tom Collaro has tremendous power but is a huge strikeout guy. Obviously they like Paulino Reynoso, a lefthander who was converted from first base. They just put him on the 40-man.

Q:  Larry from Bridgeport asks:
How can an employee of the Cubs do the report for the White Sox? Typically we get hosed by having a Trib idiot work on our stuff.
 A: 

Moderator: Now that's more like it.

Q:  Jason from Salem, OR asks:
How is Francisco Hernandez a potential all-star caliber catcher? He's only 5'9". I know size doesn't matter but that's small!
 A: 

Moderator: Jason, thanks for the good question. It drove me to the archives. The first time he was listed in Texas' media guide, 1989, Ivan Rodriguez was listed as 5-9, 165. He's settled into 5-9 and a reported 205. So there's certainly a good precedent in place. I've never seen a better catcher than Pudge the younger.

Q:  Jim from Chicago asks:
Phil, love your work at the Trib. Look forward to it every Sunday. What ever happen to Jason Stumm?
 A: 

Moderator: Injuries have taken their toll. He's still in the system and reportedly healthy but he has pitched so few innings that he's as raw as a 19-year-old. He'll be in the minor-league camp hoping to earn a rotation spot somewhere.

Q:  Bee Bee Richard from Merrillville, Ind. asks:
Mike Spidale and Casey Rogowski both had solid offensive seasons in the minor leagues. Why didn't they make the Top 10? What are their projected ceilings as big league players?
 A: 

Moderator: Bee, Bee, thanks for mentioning some new names. Spidale is one of the best hitters in the system and a solid outfielder. At the worst, it seems like he could be a fourth outfielder. A team like WashingtonMontreal or Tampa Bay might cherry pick him in the Rule 5 draft. I thought he should have been protected. Rogowski followed up his season with a strong showing in the Fall League. He's an intriguing player to me, especially now that he's added outfield to his resume. I could see Rogowski as a platoon left fielder-first baseman. Maybe a better version of Jeff Liefer.

It seems like Tom Brice is making great progress. Is he in your top 30?
 A: 

Moderator: Brice was on the cusp of the top 30 but didn't quite make it. He is progressing nicely but doesn't have a huge upside, I don't think. Did you happen to see him get jobbed at the Olympics? He hit a blast that should have been a run-scoring double against the Cubans but the center fielder was credited with a catch on a ball that hit his glove, then the wall before settling itno his glove. Brice is a great guy, so I'd love to be wrong about his potential.

Where did Francisco Hernandez come from? I never heard much about him until about August of this year, and now he's one of the Sox top prospects.
 A: 

Moderator: Hernandez is a product of the Sox's increased effort in the Dominican. Denny Gonzalez has been doing a good job there, and Hernandez is an example. Also keep an eye out in 2005 for Salvador Sanchez, a Dominican outfielder. He's built like a young Juan Gonzalez and hit very well in the Dominican summer league last year.

Thanks for doing the chat Phil. Where's Tyler Lumsden do you see him as a bottom of the rotation guy, and where do you see him starting next year?
 A: 

Moderator: Lumsden really impressed the White Sox. He was throwing harder for them than he did at Clemson. He, Liotta, Whisler and Gonzalez should all start next season in A-ball rotations. The college guys will battle it out to see who goes to Winston-Salem and who is at Kannapolis.

Q:  Mark Buerhle from Comiskey Park asks:
Who am I going to throw to for the next couple of years?
 A: 

Moderator: Hey, Mark, good talking to you. I wish I knew. For your sake, I'd hope it's not Ben Davis. The White Sox desperately need a veteran catcher from the Damian Miller mode. Henry Blanco might be a better bet.

Q:  Rex from Alabama asks:
My question is regarding Kris Honel. How much confidence have the Sox lost in him? My understanding is that doctors never could find anything wrong with him. It seems hard to fathom a guy practically missing a whole season with no real physical ailments. Any idea what could cause such a drop in velocity? He was throwing in the low 80's around the middle of the year, while trying to come back.
 A: 

Moderator: OK guy, lightning round time. I can stay on another 15 or 20 minutes so let's get as many questions as we can ... Honel's mechanics were out of whack last year, and he didn't trust his arm. The physical exams showed no major problems. He never threw that hard, anyway, working in the high-80s during much of his high school career. Breaking pitches and command has always been his thing.

Q:  Bull Luzinski from East Side ChiTown asks:
What is Anotin Gray's ceiling and what do you think he'll realistically pan out as?
 A: 

Moderator: He compares right now to Jeff Kent in the minors. So I'd say he's got a high ceiling. You never know if any prospect will pan out but this guy can hit. It seems to me the White Sox will make room for a hitter. They certainly overlooked Ray Durham's deficiencies for a long time.

Q:  Scott Lindsey from Mesa, Az asks:
Brandon Allen had a dissapointing start as far as #s, but how do you project him?
 A: 

Moderator: Way too early to tell. He's a Texan, so that's a plus. Look for him to spend the first half of next year in extended spring before getting another crack.

Q:  Andrew from TN asks:
Is Gio Gonzalez going to be another Arnie Munoz or will he be a starter in the majors?
 A: 

Moderator: Gonzalez will definitely be groomed to start.

Q:  Dave from Kenosha, Wis. asks:
Is there any prospect that can sneak onto the 25-man roster in April the way Scot Radinsky did in 1990?
 A: 

Moderator: There's somebody every spring, isn't there? The Sox have so many needs right now it's hard to say. But look at righthander Matt Smith and lefthanders Paulino Reynoso and Ryan Meaux possibly making sneak attacks.

Q:  Trader J from Indy asks:
Although Neal Cotts was a successful minor league starter, will he stick in the bullpen?
 A: 

Moderator: Trader, I don't think Ozzie Guillen wants to look at him as a starter any time soon. I think he could be considered down the line but for the foreseeable future will relieve. It's not a bad path to take, by the way. Worked pretty well for Kenny Rogers.

Q:  Eric from Queens NY asks:
Where do you forsee Brandon McCarthy and Chris Young in the White Sox plans? Do you see either of them up in the bigs in 2005 and do you see either of them having a steady MLB career. Thanks for the info.
 A: 

Moderator: McCarthy's way ahead of Young but both are in the long-term plans, at this point. I think McCarthy could be up by June if he has a good spring training and a need arises. The Sox were smart to give him the winter to rest after originally scheduling him for Arizona. Young is a 2007-08 project but could be a helluva player when he arrives.

Q:  Richard Dotson from Peoria, CA asks:
Is Chris Young project to be a 40 homer guy that hits in the meat of the order, does his speed mean he'll be a top of the order guy, or does he mediocre averages mean he'll one of those guys that hits a few bombs but bats at the low end of the order?
 A: 

Moderator: Hard to see him hitting for top-of-the-order averages. I'd say he could be a 5th or 6th place hitter in a good lineup.

Q:  FarmStand Stan from Home Office USA asks:
Who is the biggest bust ... Scott Ruffcorn, Eddie Pearson, Tony Menendez, Mark Johnson, Kurt Brown, Jason Dellaero or Joe Borchard?
 A: 

Moderator: Kurt Brown vs. Barry Bonds, discuss. Hard to get past that little bit of history, isn't it?

Q:  rick from LPHS-Roselle, IL asks:
Where in the prospect list will Tyler Lumsden be located? I know he was fairly highly touted in this draft. What are his best pitches and where do they grade on the scouting scale?
 A: 

Moderator: Lumsden rates with Ray Liotta in the 11-20 range, ahead of Whisler, who is just as intriguing. He's a four-pitch guy with a fastball that moved into the mid-90s late last year. He also has a slider that runs away from left-handed hitters and a very good curveball.

Q:  Rick from LPHS-Roselle, IL asks:
What type of numbers can we expect out of Ryan Sweeney in Double A this year? What type of numbers can we hope to see in the MLB out of him? Thanks
 A: 

Moderator: Last three of four questions, guys ... There have been so many good ones. Sorry I couldn't get to them all. I love talking about Sweeney: I'll say .310-16-85 if he's healthy. I think he can be a George Brett-type guy -- very high average, using all the field, lots of doubles, clutch power.

Q:  Browning Nagle from Louisville, KY asks:
Phil, it's pretty obvious that Joe Borchard is never going to hit major league pitching..is it clear to Kenny Williams? Also, what are you thoughts on Brian Anderson, does he have 30 HR potential?
 A: 

Moderator: Kenny knows firsthand that it's tough to hit big-league pitching, so it's probably not as black-and-white with him. The thing about Borchard is he has such great presence. That buys him time ... Thirty homers is a lot to hang onto Anderson but 20-30 with a .270 average could be reasonable.

Q:  Sam from Los Angeles asks:
How do you account for such few Wsox prospects panning out in the bigs? (excluding burls, clee, maggs) Is it a matter of poor scouting, bad luck?
 A: 

Moderator: First off, I don't think the Sox track record is that bad. Every team has prospects who excite fans but then don't pan out. They have had some really bad pitching injuries -- Corwin Malone, especially. Their win-now emphasis makes it tough to groom a guy like Jon Rauch. I think that's a factor.

Q:  Andrew from TN asks:
What was the general scouts' take on Borchard when he was drafted in 2000?
 A: 

Moderator: Tremendous power, really good hitter (at least from the left side). Good kid. I'm not sure how many (if any) other organizations would have paid what the Sox did to get him to stop playing football but make him a $1.5 million player and he would have been a first-rounder for maybe 20 teams.

Q:  Jim from Chicago asks:
Phil, any chance Brain Anderson is the starting center fielder when the season starts? Why don't the White Sox offer arbraitration to Mags, at least we get draft picks if he leaves and if he stays, so much the better. It breaks my heart to see a quality player and person like Mags leave.
 A: 

Moderator: Jim, sure there's a chance, but it's a little one. The Sox are happy with Rowand, but if he got hurt Anderson could outplay the likes of Alex Escobar and Timo Perez. The Sox won't offer arbitration to Magglio because he would probably take it, forcing them to pay him $12-14 million for a season in which he could be limited to 30 games. His knee is too big of a mystery to take that risk. But I share your sentiments in general. The Sox are going to be less fun without Magglio around. I think I'm gonna call it a day with that one. Thanks again for all the great questions.

Page Not Found - BaseballAmerica.com