The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint

Orioles Chat with Will Lingo

Moderator: Mr. Lingo will begin taking your questions at 2 p.m. ET

Q:  Rich from Omaha, NE asks:
How soon will Hayden Penn get a shot in the Bigs?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Welcome, everyone. Hope you're enjoying prospect season as much as we are. Let's get right to the questions...

Will Lingo: I think it would be unrealistic to look for Penn in the big leagues much before 2006. He showed a lot this year, but he's still relatively inexperienced. A full year in Double-A for 2005 would be very solid.

Q:  Ron from South Bend, IN asks:
Where would have Townsend been in this list if he would have signed?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Ouch. That was a painful draft pick to not get anything out of. Considering the Orioles had no chance to sign him, I never really looked at Townsend in comparison to any of their other guys, but he has the stuff to be considered with Penn and Adam Loewen, who are the top two pitching prospects in the organization.

Q:  Jacob from Bethesda, MD asks:
I'm an Orioles season ticket holder who is a huge fan and I want to know how good Markakis and Majewski can be? I know that both of them have had success in the minors but how is that going to translate on the major league level? Also if they had to be compared to current big leaguers who would you put them up against in terms of how good they can be?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Right now I would guess that both will be solid, everyday big league players but not necessarily all-stars. If you're looking at their ceilings, though, I think Markakis' is higher, which explains why he's ranked No. 1.

Will Lingo: As far as comparisons, I got a lot of interesting ones for both players. Markakis was compared to David Segui as well as Shawn Green and Johnny Damon (interesting mix of players). Majewski was called a more physical version of Larry Bigbie. Both players earned Paul O'Neill comparisons as well, with Majewski's as much for his intensity as anything.

Q:  Matt from Arcata, CA asks:
Who is the most likely to have a successful major league career: Erik Bedard, Matt Riley, or Kurt Ainsworth?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I would bet on Bedard.

Q:  Mike Marinaro from Tampa, FL asks:
What is the statusoutlook for Ryan Hannaman?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Not good. Along with Donald Levinski, he had shoulder surgery during the season and is not expected to play in 2005.

Q:  JayBud from Niketown asks:
What prospects not on the top 10 could make a splash next year and make a name for themselves?
 A: 

Will Lingo: A guy a lot of people like is Nate Spears, a David Eckstein type who played mostly second base at Delmarva this year. But scouts think he could play short and has better tools than Eckstein. He handles the bat well and could be a solid No. 2 hitter.

Q:  Mike Marinaro from Tampa, FL asks:
Any chance of Loewen moving back to the OF?
 A: 

Will Lingo: If that happens, you'll know something has gone very wrong. Same with Markakis, in case anyone was wondering.

One guy who I didn't see in the top ten was Walter Young, probably our top first base prospect. Is his power for real and if it is can he put up at least a mediocre average to go with it? Also does Tripper Johnson have a shot at being a solid big league infielder or is he destined to a utility role?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Young's power is definitely real, a legitimate 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. If he can keep his body in decent shape most people think he could play first base as well. The obvious comparison for O's fans is Calvin Pickering, which didn't work out so well, but Young is a better athlete and better overall hitter. To me he's the most intriguing guy in the organization.

Will Lingo: As for Tripper Johnson, with the power he showed this year he has definitely put himself back in the picture as a potential everyday third baseman. He has also improved his defense.

Q:  J.J. from Annapolis, Md asks:
Lorenzo Scott is considered to be the best athlete in our system but is incredibly raw. Did he make much progress this year?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Scott is an amazing athlete. For those who aren't familiar with him, he was an all-conference linebacker at Ball State who has little baseball experience. So he hasn't shown much on the field yet and remains a major project. He shows only flashes of brilliance, but his strength, quickness and bat speed give him a chance. He just needs lots and lots of at-bats and don't worry about what level he plays at yet.

Q:  Jim Baker from Durham NC asks:
What are the Orioles plans for Jarod Rine an outfielder who hit .256 with 35 SB's at Delmarva last season. He has a strong arm and plays great defense. he had the most AB's for them last year in single A. Is he high on their prospect list and do they have plans for him. I have seen him play and he looks like the real deal!
 A: 

Will Lingo: He's an interesting player but hasn't shown enough to be high on the prospect list yet. He should be in their top 30, though. He does run and throw well and can go get the ball in the outfield, and he has hit better than expected. But he doesn't have overwhelming tools, and it's not clear he'll hit enough to reach the big leagues. Worth keeping an eye on, though.

Q:  Brian S. from Regina Sask. asks:
Adam Loewen has been on the international scene for awhile , where has his control gone is it the umpires , is it confidence ? and will he bounce back? thank you
 A: 

Will Lingo: There are different theories about why Loewen had a disappointing year. Some said while he came to spring camp in good shape, it wasn't good baseball shape and it took him a long time to round into form. Others said getting knocked around in big league camp threw him off his game all year. And some said he was just too anxious to move quickly through the organization. Whatever the case, he lost confidence in his command and got knocked around more than you would have expected. Assuming his shoulder is OK, he should bounce back.

Q:  Rob from Warwick, RI asks:
Is Adam Loewen still projected to hit the majors sooner than later, what is his ETA 2004 or later?
 A: 

Will Lingo: As you might expect, we're getting a lot of Adam Loewen questions. I would back off on Loewen's timetable, Rob, and just see if he can put together a good year in high Class A. If he pitches well at Frederick, maybe a midseason promotion to Double-A Bowie would be in order. But don't look for anything more than that in 2005.

I know the system is not necessarily good at this point but it certainly is not as bare as it was several years ago. Not signing Townsend really hurts but where does the system rank in terms of the rest of the major league teams? My guess would be in the middle to upper part of the lower half.
 A: 

Will Lingo: It's still toward the bottom. Where the Orioles ultimately rank depends on what we see from other organizations as we do their prospect rankings, and how my esteemed colleagues feel about the talent in the organization. I would say definitely not at the bottom as it was a couple of years ago, but still closer to No. 30 than No. 1.

What do you think the Orioles should do with the second base position? Is Mike Fontenot going to be ready soon enough that they could safely trade at least one of them? Also does Fontenot have the arm to more to third if they wanted to move Mora back to the outfield (which I know as of now they have not wanted to do)?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I don't have a strong opinion about which player they should go with, though I do think they should trade some of the surplus for either experienced pitching or minor league power bats. I think you could give Fontenot a big league shot. He could not play third, however.

Q:  Norman from Annapolis, MD asks:
What is the logic behind this psychological testing that we are hearing about? Are players really being drafted and promoted based on these tests?
 A: 

Will Lingo: The Orioles say they use it as a tool as part of their effort to get a complete picture of a player. Many teams do this. But people who criticize the Orioles' approach say they rely on these tests too much and sometimes make decisions, such as who to promote, based more on psychological profile than ability or performance. I talked to several people who said the organization will not sign anyone who hasn't taken the particular test they prefer. And as many as one-third of the players the scouting department ranked on its draft board going into this year's draft were deemed undraftable by upper management, based on their psychological profiles.

Q:  Ron from South Bend, IN asks:
Will, where in the rotation does John Maine project to be, 3rd starter?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I think that's a best case for him. To me he's more likely to be a No. 4 or No. 5 guy.

Q:  Brian Daniels from Atlanta, Georgia asks:
Hi Will! Jim Callis type question for you.. who do you like tomorrow Georgia or Auburn? The last time I asked that question the moderator had Georgia beating LSU. So its your question now!
 A: 

Will Lingo: I'll be much more interested in the Wake Forest-North Carolina result, but in the big SEC matchup I'll take Auburn.

Q:  Ron Mogel from West Lawn, Pennsylvania asks:
Where is Keith Reed in the Baltimore organization right now because I feel he is still very athletic and has a chance to be a good prospect. What is your take on Keith Reed?
 A: 

Will Lingo: His physical ability is as good as anyone's, but I think he might need a change of scenery if he's ever going to advance. His main problems have always been maturity and breaking ball recognition, and he showed progress in both of those areas this year.

Q:  PJ from Salisbury, MD asks:
Is David Stockstill and upgrade over Doc Rodgers? I thought Rodgers did a good job of turning the system around.
 A: 

Will Lingo: I don't know David Stockstill so can't really comment on what kind of job he'll do. But I also thought Rodgers did a good job in his two years with the Orioles and was a huge upgrade for the farm department. It's unfortunate things didn't work out for a longer tenure.

Q:  bp from NYC asks:
What about Jacobo Sequea. The O's added him to the 40-man roster and he had a very solid season at Double-A last year. Think he'll be in the bigs in 2005? Is he a future closer?
 A: 

Will Lingo: He's a nice player who was on the fringes of top 10 consideration. He's better suited to a set-up role than closing in the big leagues, though, because his fastball isn't overpowering. He doesn't have a power arm but he misses bats. His best attributes are his slider and his command. I think he will compete for a bullpen job next spring.

Q:  Thane from New Hampshire asks:
Where do you think Eli Whiteside falls in the top 30? His stats look pretty good in the AFL, granted it's only 50 ABs.
 A: 

Will Lingo: He's just outside the top 10. He has shown enough with the bat this year to make people think he can be an everyday catcher, though not enough to be a premier player. He had become too bulked up and rigid, and he got rid of some of that this year and needs to continue to do so.

Q:  J.J. from Annapolis, Md asks:
Which, if any of these former "stud" pitchers might still make an impact with the O's. Chris Smith, Beau Hale, Richard Stahl.
 A: 

Will Lingo: The only one I would hold out any hope for is Stahl, and that's still a longshot.

Q:  Holger from Kansas City, MO asks:
John Maine put up some great numbers, but struggled heavily every time he was promoted. What are his chances of making the rotation this year and what kind of career do you think he'll have?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I think he was promoted too aggressively this season and needs more time in Triple-A. So I would be surprised if he's in your Baltimore rotation this year. I would expect him to have a pretty long, solid career. Nothing overwhelming, but he has the assortment of pitches and approach to play for awhile.

Q:  James from Seminole, Florida asks:
Is it really over between the Orioles and Townsend? I remember reading something about Townsend's lawyer considering legal action MLB.
 A: 

Will Lingo: There's always a chance, but it's essentially over. Legal challenges to the MLB ruling have been discussed, but I can't remember any similar challenges (such as J.D. Drew, though it was a different point) being successful. So you'll have to count on Fiorentino to carry the flag for this draft.

Q:  Thane from New Hampshire asks:
What's your take on Luis Ramirez? He started off out-of-this-world and then seemed to come back to earth. His KBB ratio was still pretty good. I saw him pitch in Lowell and his fastball topped out around 91 and he didn't have as good control as I would have expected...does he have big league stuff?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I think his emergence was way overhyped. He has fringy stuff at best and I can't see him having success at higher levels.

Q:  Blair from Anaheim asks:
Fiorentino had an amazing debut. His numbers really suprised me. Is there a reason he wasn't taken higher? Was it his lack of a defensive home? Did the O's just get a steal with him? Could he stick at catcher? His bat would play great there...
 A: 

Will Lingo: Fiorentino didn't go higher because his defensive tools aren't great at any position and it's not clear how much power he'll have. Some in the organization liked him as a catcher, but others said his arm and build were not suited for the position. Like you, the thought was he could work hard enough to be adequate defensively and that his bat would play well there. But he's probably better suited to the outfield. We'll see if he can keep hitting like he did this summer. If so, defense won't be a problem.

Q:  Andrew from Washington, DC asks:
Hi Will, What are your thoughts on the recent turnover in the O's scoutingminor league staff? Were the moves justified or was it more Angelosian meddling?
 A: 

Will Lingo: As I wrote in my overview story with the top 10, if these moves result in everyone in the front office being on the same page and working with a similar mindset, it could be a positive move. The problem to me is that in the years I've been assembling the Orioles top 10, their approach has changed several times. And you can see that in the instability just in the GM position since Angelos bought the team. Since the Angelos ownership took over in August 1993, no GM has lasted more than three years. That's not a good recipe for building a winning organization.

Q:  Michael Stern from Rochester NY asks:
Haenel was great this year - why no top 10?
 A: 

Will Lingo: He has good deception, a good changeup and gets out but he's not a hard thrower (89-91 mph) and his breaking ball is just adequate. He does throw on a good downward plane.

Q:  Toby Boyce from Delaware, Ohio asks:
The O's Top 10 seems to be significantly older than what we are used to seeing in Baseball America. Is the system that thin? Or are these late bloomers that are just now asserting themselves?
 A: 

Will Lingo: The system is pretty thin.

Q:  Tim from Baltimore(Maryland) asks:
Hey Will, any word on who the new scouting director will be?
 A: 

Will Lingo: The Orioles have interviewed several people, both in and out of the organization, for the position, but no word on who has the inside track for the job right now.

Q:  Jim from Los Angeles asks:
Will Jack Cust ever reach his potential? He hasn't progressed like many thought he would a couple years ago, but is it too soon to give up on him?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I would say no. The Orioles let him become a minor league free agent, so we'll see where he ends up next year.

Q:  Chris from Brooklyn asks:
Among Majewski's strength's you note:"so focused on what he can control that he often won't be aware of what's going on around him." That doesn't really sound like a plus. Can you elaborate a bit...Thanks
 A: 

Will Lingo: Because of space limitations in the print edition, we often can't fully explain a point. So I'm glad to get the opportunity to elaborate here. What I was trying to say was that he'll be so focused on his own thing, that if some teammates were cutting up in the clubhouse or something else was going on, he might not even be aware of it. It was meant to emphasize that with so many players who worry about what everyone else is doing, who's getting promoted, etc., Majewski just worries about doing what he can do. I hope that's clearer.

Q:  Marina from Aberdeen, MD asks:
This has been a pretty disappointing chat in terms of information. What is the brightest thing we have to look forward to in the minor league system of the Orioles. Who is to blame for the lack of talent produced?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I think the best things you have are the prospects at the top of the organization. Things drop off pretty quickly after that. As for who's to blame? Well, that's a judgment each of you can try to make after studying the organization and how things have progressed in the last decade or so. There has been so much turnover in that period that it's hard to put it on any single baseball executive, however.

Will Lingo: I know former scouting director Tony DeMacio is an obvious target for people, but when you look at the circumstances he was working under, I really don't think the results for many of his drafts can be laid at his feet. I would estimate that of all his first-round picks, Adam Loewen was the only one who wasn't a compromise pick of some sort. And according to a Baltimore Sun story from early this year, he didn't get signed until his psychological profile proved to Angelos that he was worth the money.

Q:  Rob from Toronto asks:
I'm surprised no one's asked this yet...where would Denny Bautista rank if he was still an Oriole?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I would say he'd probably be No. 6, between Fiorentino and Maine. Just a horrible deal.

Q:  John from Pittsburgh asks:
Will, what level and role do you think Chris Ray will start in next season..if he goes back to the reliever role, how close might he be to making some impact in the Big Leagues?
 A: 

Will Lingo: Whether he moves to the bullpen sooner or later, I think it's just a matter of time before Ray does move. I can't see him doing anything in the big leagues before 2006.

Q:  Ulrath from Virginia.... asks:
Is there any hope at all?
 A: 

Will Lingo: I think that's a good question to end on. Thanks for joining us and I hope Orioles fans get all the free agents they're hoping for this Christmas.

Will Lingo: Be sure to stop by again Monday afternoon to get the lowdown on the Devil Rays from longtime BA correspondent Bill Ballew.

Page Not Found - BaseballAmerica.com
The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint