The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint

Anaheim Angels Top 10 Prospects

Moderator: With Josh Boyd leaving BA for the Padres, we'll turn to Jim Callis to pinch-hit for our Angels chat. Jim covered Angels prospects when he did our Pacific Coast League and Midwest League rankings, and he also did our Angels Draft Report Card.

Q:  matt pickme from hawaii asks:
Hey Jim , I was wondering what your take was on these guys who has the highest ceiling and do you see any of these guys making a impact in the majors some day quantwan cosby, carlos morban and abel Moreno .
 A: 

Jim Callis: Cosby has the highest ceiling, because his speed is off the charts. He's also very raw, though. Morban has one of the strongest arms in the system, while Moreno has some of the best pitchability in the system.

Q:  Russ Oates from Whitestone, NY asks:
I don't really pay much attention to player comparisons, but I've heard comparisons of Kotchman to Helton. Is that a fair comparison?
 A: 

Jim Callis: In general, comparisons aren't often fair to the prospect. But while he won't get a boost from Coors Field, Kotchman is similar to Helton at the same stage of their careers: a very gifted hitter who has shown mainly gap power and good control of the strike zone, and a gifted defensive first baseman to boot.

Q:  Stephen C. Smith from Irvine, CA asks:
Hi Jim ... I know you'll want to keep the rest of the list for the annual prospect handbook next month, but speaking generically of the Angels' 11-20 do you think those might be better than any other organization's 11-20? The Angels have a lot of minor leaguers who'd make a run at the Top 10 for other systems. Thanks.
 A: 

Jim Callis: Hi, Stephen. I expected some questions from Mr. FutureAngels.com. Yes, the Angels do have a lot of prospects in their 11-20 range who would make other Top 10s. Just for one example, and not to give away the whole list, I think No. 14 (second baseman Howie Kendrick) is a huge sleeper.

Q:  Russ Oates from Whitestone, NY asks:
Is Robert Zimmerman better suited for the bullpen with his stuff, and would that help him get to the majors quickly?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I think so. Zimmermann throws harder out of the bullpen, up into the mid-90s, and his max-effort delivery and sometimes-shaky command aren't as big of a concern in that role.

Q:  Chris from Huntsville, AL asks:
I would like to know where hometown boy and friend, David Gates ranks as a prospect. He has a lot of power, but seems to have struggled with his batting average so far in his professional career.
 A: 

Jim Callis: He's just a name at this point. He has some pop, but hasn't hit much or made enough consistent contact to get too excited about yet. He's 23 and needs to get it going soon.

Q:  Jim S. from Milwaukee asks:
Thanks for taking my question. What are the chances a player like Alberto Callaspo will play in the bigs for the Angels, and ifwhen he does, how do you project his performance a major leaguer? Is he a future starter or utility middle infielder?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I'd project Callaspo as a starter, and he'll be a cheaper alternative to Adam Kennedy when he's ready. He doesn't hit for a ton of pop and I wish he'd walk a little more, but he's a magician with his bat control, runs well and plays good defense.

Q:  John from miami asks:
Where did Warner Madrigal rank in your top 30 and what type of player do you think he will become?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Madrigal is in the 11-20 range and has a ceiling as a power-hitting right fielder. But he's still several years away from the majors, and we'll have to see how he does against more advanced pitching.

Q:  Joe from Newport News, VA asks:
There weren't any outfielders in the Angels' Top Ten. Do they have any interesting outfield prospects?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Madrigal is their best outfield prospect. Others to watch include Nick Gorneault, Quan Cosby and Blake Balkcom.

Q:  Jon from Peru asks:
I realize that Jared Abruzzo is behind on the organizational catcher depth chart, but does he still have a chance with the Angels? And where would he and Greg Porter rank among the Top 30 prospects?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Abruzzo is in the 21-30 range, while Porter didn't make the list. Abruzzo is more advanced offensively than defensively at this point, and might have to settle for a Shawn Wooten role behind Jeff Mathis.

Q:  Eric from The Big asks:
What picks will the Angels lose in the draft for their free agent signing extravaganza?
 A: 

Jim Callis: The Angels keep their first-rounder (12th overall) because it's in the top half of the round. They'll lose their second-round pick (for Bartolo Colon) and their third-round pick (for Kelvim Escobar). Vladimir Guerrero and Jose Guillen weren't offered arbitration by their former clubs and thus didn't require compensation.

A very common question asked by Angels fans is what do the Angels do with Dallas McPherson should Troy Glaus be signed to an extension. Some have speculated that Glaus could be moved back to shortstop, his college position, although personally that seems rather unlikely to me. Your thoughts?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Glaus can't play shortstop. He played there as a college junior and was not good. He looked very stiff to me and he's gotten bigger since then. If Glaus signs an extension, McPherson could move to the outfield (which is also crowded in Anaheim) or first base (where he'd outhit Darin Erstad).

Q:  Kevin from Springfield, MA asks:
Thanks for the time Jim. How much do you think letting Rowland go will effect the Angels farm system in the future? And do you have any idea where he might turn up?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Eddie Bane is a very capable scouting director, so I don't think the system is going to shrivel up and die, though I have a lot of respect for Donny Rowland and the work he did. He's working for agent B.B. Abbott now.

Q:  Rob Cooper from Provo, Utah asks:
After drafting him twice the Angels finally signed Utah Valley State RHP Chris Hunter late last summer for 5th to 6th round type money. Hunter had a good summer in a collegiate summer league and I assume went to Angels fall instructional. What do you hear about Hunter and where will he start the year (any chance of here with the Provo Angels)?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Hunter has a 91-94 mph fastball and a good pitcher's frame. He could start at Provo or possibly in low Class A.

I have been able to see OF Nick Gorneault quite a bit before he turned pro, he seems to be a high Klow BB hitter, do you think he will be able to hit ML pitching, and how does he look defensively
 A: 

Jim Callis: He's just an OK defender and a slightly below-average runner, so his bat will have to carry him. And while he mashed last year, he probably will have to tighten his strike zone to succeed at higher levels.

Q:  ed slavish from w-b, pa asks:
My question is about Jeff Mathis, iwas wondering what type of upside do you see for him, a regular in the ML?, maybe an All-Star? I understand he is one of the best defensive catchers in the minors and lately his bat is starting to come around.
 A: 

Jim Callis: For me and a lot of others, Mathis is the second-best catching prospect in the game, behind only Joe Mauer. Mathis has a lot of Jason Kendall in him, and he's a better defender and could have more long-term power.

Q:  John from Orange County, CA asks:
Jim- While Anaheim might not have the best minors in baseball, would you agree that their 1-6 rankings might be the best?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I'd probably take the Brewers' 1-6 over the Angels', but it's very close.

Josh Boyd was the resident advocate, if not evangelist, at BA for Bobby Jenks. Now that Josh has moved on, what is the opinion of the rest of the BA staff regarding Jenks? Is there a sense collectively that the Angels' patience and risk may have been worth it?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I can't speak for the rest of the BA staff, but to me, Jenks is still Jenks: a high ceiling guy with questionable control and a questionable makeup. He has made some progress, but still needs to throw a lot more strikes and settle down. I always have thought, and continue to think, that he's going to be better suited to relieve rather than start.

Q:  bp from in DC asks:
Hey Jim, thanks for doing the chat. I was wondering if Alfredo Amezaga has any shot at taking the SS job from Eckstein either this year or next or is his destined to be a util guy?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I think he's destined to be a utility guy. Josh didn't rank Amezaga in the Top 30, which somewhat reflects the organization's opinion of him.

Jim just curious about OF's BalKcom and Willits, they seemed to have some success in their first years, but looking at their college stats, niether seems to be big on power. What type of players are they?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Blake Balkcom has some interesting opposite-field power, which was muted somewhat by injuries last spring at Florida State. Reggie Willits, another outfielder I should have mentioned earlier, is more of a speed guy.

Is it fair to say that Dallas McPherson may get his shot at third for the Angels in 2005 not only due to his talent but the fact that Troy Glaus may be looking for a payday that doesnt represent his production?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I think that's very fair to say.

Q:  jimmy from texas asks:
How good of a prospect is bobby wilson and do you think he will remain a catcher as he progresses through the minors?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Casey Kotchman's former high school teammate is a very promising hitter who needs a lot of work defensively. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he eventually switched positions, because I don't think he'll be able to move Mathis from behind the plate.

Q:  Sean Whitley from Troy, Ala. asks:
Where do you think Tom Gregorio fits in with the Angels in 2004. I know he got called up late in the year, but do you think he can find a permanent roster spot there this year?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I'd bet against that unless he starts to show more offense.

Q:  Kyle from Ohio asks:
Who do you see the Angels drafting in the first round in June? Any chance they will draft Jeff Larish?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Larish would be interesting, because new scouting director Eddie Bane also starred at Arizona State. But as the premier college bat available, I'm not sure Larish would be available with the 12th pick. Here's three names with a decent chance of being there: Rice righthander Phil Humber, Texas high school outfielder Greg Golson and Virginia Commonwealth righthander Justin Orenduff.

Q:  mike from daytona asks:
After reading the bio on Rafael Rodriguez i saw a lot of similarities with Joel Zumaya including age, fastball and maximum effort delivery. Which one of these prospects has a higher ranking and will either remain as starters?
 A: 

Jim Callis: That's an interesting comparison. I ranked Zumaya ahead of Rodriguez in the Midwest League. Zumaya missed a lot more bats there, though in fairness to Rodriguez he was still adapting to the United States. Unless they tone down their deliveries and improve their control, they probably fit best as relievers in the long term.

Q:  Brian Daniels from Birmingham Alabama asks:
Hey Jim, what if any contributions do you see from the Angels farm system this year? and, how well does Vladdy do in the American league? feast or famine?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Jeff Mathis might be Anaheim's best option as a big league catcher by the end of the year. If Bobby Jenks ever puts it all together, he'd get a quick call to the majors. Chris Bootcheck could factor in as a middle reliever. Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson and Ervin Santana could get September callups, but there aren't a whole lot of obvious openings in Anaheim right now.

Q:  Ryan Maguire from Murrieta, CA asks:
Do you see Quan Cosby playing in Rancho Cucamonga this year or do you think the Angels will keep him in Cedar Rapids?
 A: 

Jim Callis: The Angels want him to return to low Class A Cedar Rapids and get off to a good start before they promote him.

Q:  al harper from sparks, nevada asks:
I know Kevin Jepsen (Manogue High School) has had some arm problems, but the Angels were real high on him. Where do you see him in the current plans? (Great kid!)
 A: 

Jim Callis: Jepsen has one of the best arms in they system. His fastball and slider are power pitches, but his command and changeup need a lot of work. He had bone chips removed from his elbow last year.

Q:  Chris from Allentown asks:
Can you call Josh Boyd and ask him who the Player To Be Named in the A-Rod Deal is?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Without calling Josh, I can tell you that the Rangers have a list of five players to choose from and can make their decision after scouting them in spring training.

Q:  Jeff from Chicago asks:
Chone Figgins didn't embarrass himself in a partial season last year. Is his upside that of maybe a Desi Relaford, or can he be better than that?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Desi Relaford is a fair ceiling, and Figgins is a little quicker. I don't really see him as a big league regular on a contender.

In the Scott Schoeneweis deal last season Bill Stoneman had said that without Dunn and Bittner the deal would have never happened. Now that Gary Glover has been dispatched are the Angels going to get what they expected?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Tim Bittner looks like the best player in the deal for the Angels. His numbers after the trade were more spectacular than his stuff, but he knows how to pitch with a solid average fastball, average changeup and below-average curveball.

Q:  Dan from NYC asks:
Hey Jim, Just curious how you would rank Mcpherson,Marte,Wright in terms of 3b prospects
 A: 

Jim Callis: I'd rank them in this order: Andy Marte, David Wright, Dallas McPherson.

Q:  Joe from Newport News, VA asks:
After the three top ten names, there seemed to be a big dropoff in the talent at Cedar Rapids. Were there any other interesting prospects among the Kernels?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Beyond Alberto Callaspo, Erick Aybar and Rafael Rodriguez, we've also mentioned Kevin Jepsen. He's in their class if he's healthy. The next tier would include Jared Abruzzo and Quan Cosby (we've discussed them earlier), shortstop Adam Pavkovich and righty reliever Richard Thompson.

Q:  Peter from Chicago, IL asks:
Did Josh do the Angels' top 10? If so, are your top ten rankings the same as his? In other words, would you have made any different selections 1-10 than what Josh did?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Yes, Josh did the Top 10. I'm not going to second-guess his rankings, because he talked to a lot more people about the Angels than I did. But it's no secret that he and I have different viewpoints on Bobby Jenks. That said, I still might have ranked Jenks fifth like he did.

Q:  Bren from Boston asks:
Can you comparecontrast Wood and Aybar a litle bit? What does each of them have to do to reach the majors and beat the other out for that shot?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Brandon Wood hits the ball with a lot more authority, while Aybar is a better runner and a flashier defender. If they both progress as expected, Wood probably will have to find another position in deference to Aybar's defensive wizardry.

Q:  Dan N from Louisville, KY asks:
What are your opinions on Eric Cyr? He kind of kind bounced around going to the Angels, then the Reds, then back to the Angels. He seemed to recover nicely towards the end of the year. How do you project him in the majors? A #3 or #4 starter?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I see him as more of a fifth starter or a middle reliever. He had one big year in the minors, and that's looking more like an aberration. He didn't miss a lot of bats in Double-A last year.

Q:  Bruce K. from Newport Beach, CA asks:
I've heard a rumor (mostly from misc fan sites) that the Angels are trying to make a play with the D-Backs to acquire frmr Orange County ss Sergio Santos (which would be great to see him back in the OC). Any truth behind it?
 A: 

Jim Callis: That seems like an unfounded rumor to me. I'm sure any organization would like to have Santos but I see no reason why the Diamondbacks would trade him.

Q:  Perry from Texas asks:
How would you rank the Angel farm system in the AL WEST?
 A: 

Jim Callis: It's the best in the division, and if you check the last Ask BA, I ranked the Angels as having the fifth-best system in the game.

Q:  Mickey from Orange County asks:
Any word on 2002 first rounder Joe Saunders? I heard he's coming back well and will be given a chance to make the double A team?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Saunders had tears in his rotator cuff and labrum but opted for rehabilitation over shoulder surgery. If he's ready to go, he'll start the season in high Class A.

Q:  Dave from Irvine asks:
With the logjam of starting pitchers (especially righties) that the Angels have (both at the majors and in the minors), has Chris Bootcheck been eclipsed? How does he still rate for the organization?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Bootcheck's stuff has slipped since the Angels took him in the first round. He projects more as a middle reliever now.

Q:  E.W. from Texas asks:
Quan Cosby has a high celing due to his athleticism as you mentioned earlier. What are yours and the Angels brass' thoughts on his ability to reach that ceiling? If so, what are we looking at? The next Kenny Lofton? or perhaps the next Omar Moreno?
 A: 

Jim Callis: There's a huge gap between Cosby's ceiling and his aptitude right now. My general feeling is that pure speedsters who are raw in other areas don't often put it all together. Kenny Lofton would be his ceiling, but there have been few Kenny Loftons.

Q:  Sean from Irvine,CA asks:
Could you identify some of the sleeper from lower level of the farm system?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Guys who weren't in full-season leagues last year and didn't make our Top 10: second baseman Howie Kendrick, outfielder Warner Madrigal, catcher Bobby Wilson, righthander Carlos Morban, infielder Sean Rodriguez, righty Bob Zimmermann, lefty Kyle Pawelczyk, outfielder Blake Balkcom. I think Kendrick and Wilson could really make a name for themselves in 2004.

Q:  Amit from Los Angeles asks:
What are your thoughts on Richard Fischer?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Fischer's stuff slipped and he had some elbow soreness last year. If his velocity bounces back and he stays healthy, he could push for a role in the back end of the rotation or middle relief in the next year or so.

Q:  David from Savannah asks:
How high is the ceiling of Sean Rodriguez? Do the Angels think that highly of him to take him two rounds after selecting Brandon Wood (another SS) with their first pick? what was their reasoning in picking two high school short-stops with their first three picks?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Teams don't worry about positions in the draft. They generally take the best guy available when their picks come up, and for the Angels that meant taking two shortstops with their first three picks. Neither Wood nor Rodriguez is a surefire shortstop, especially with Erick Aybar around. Rodriguez has excellent instincts and a good bat, and he may profile best as a catcher.

Q:  Russ from NY asks:
Where's Brandon Wood going to start the season out?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Low Class A.

Q:  Bill Mitchell from Tempe, AZ asks:
Jim, you mentioned earlier that Chris Bootcheck could contribute as a middle reliever. Do you see that as his ceiling long-term, or can he still potentially make the grade as a back of the rotation starter? Thanks.
 A: 

Jim Callis: I think middle relief is a very realistic ceiling for him. Unless his stuff suddenly returns to where it was in 2000, I don't see him starting for a contender.

Q:  Scrawny Pete from Decatur asks:
Does Ervin Santana's name belong in a discussion of the game's best pitching prospects with Greinke, Kazmir, Jackson, Miller and Hamels, or is he in the next tier?
 A: 

Jim Callis: I'd put Santana in the next tier, but I really like him a lot. I ranked him 23rd when I put together a Top 50 Prospects list for our Prospect Handbook.

Q:  Ben from Houston asks:
Hey Jim. The Angels list seems very strong. How would you compare it with the Indians Top 10? Would you trade the Tribe's top 10 for the Angels? How about their top 30's?
 A: 

Jim Callis: The Indians list was a lot stronger before they graduated so many players to the big leagues in 2004. While the Indians still have admirable depth, outside of Grady Sizemore, they don't have another player in the Kotchman-Mathis-McPherson-Santana class. You win with stars, so I wouldn't trade Anaheim's Top 10 or Top 30 for Cleveland's.

Q:  Jeff Bello from Belvidere IL asks:
Which organization has the better picthing prospect the Chicago Cubs or the Angels thanks for the reply.
 A: 

Jim Callis: I ranked Angel Guzman No. 21 on my Top 50 for the Prospect Handbook, so that makes it the Cubs.

Q:  Dave from Dallas asks:
Hi Jim, many of the Angel pitchers in Provo had good years. Two of them are Dan Davidson and Michael Simard. How would you rateproject these two?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Davidson knows how to pitch with a plus changeup, but he only throws 83-86 mph so he'll have to keep proving himself. Simard is a 6-foot-5 righty who hits 94 mph, so he has the brighter future.

Q:  Brian in Anaheim from asks:
Two players of interest. Joe Torres, is he ever going to get his fastball back or is it over for him? Rob Quinlan, he made a brief appearance in the majors, is the Angels outfield too full for him or does he have a chance of being DH or platooning this year in the OF or 1B?
 A: 

Jim Callis: As with Bootcheck, Torres doesn't have the same stuff he had in 2000 and it's getting to the point where it's hard to believe it's going to come all the way back. Quinlan has to settle for a reserve role in the majors after all of the offseason additions.

Can you tell me more about Howie Kendrick and how he compares with Callaspo?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Callaspo is a better athlete and can really handle the bat, while Kendrick has more pop. They both can become above-average major league regulars at second base down the road.

Q:  Robbie Gurganus from Shallotte, NC asks:
Hello JIm! Who look to be the prospects slated to play in Cedar Rapids in 2004?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Hi, Robbie. The best prospects at Cedar Rapids to start 2004 should be Brandon Wood, Kevin Jepsen, Howie Kendrick, Warner Madrigal and Bobby Wilson.

How does Rich Thompson project in the bullpen? Is it more as a set-up man or could he potentially be a closer?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Thompson has a curveball that killed hitters in low Class A. His control wasn't as sharp after a promotion to high A, so he wasn't as dominant. He has an average velocity that projects as a plus pitch. His ceiling is as a setup man.

Q:  Dave from Irvine asks:
Although a bit behind the curve age-wise, Stephen Andrade quietly put together a very good year as a reliever. How does he rank overall? With our ML bullpen being a strength, does he have the potential to play himself into a role?
 A: 

Jim Callis: Andrade is a tough guy to figure. He has an average fastball and an unorthodox delivery, but his deception and his slurve made him tough to touch in Double-A last year. If he proves himself in Triple-A, the Angels will give him a spot in the bullpen.

Q:  larry from orange county asks:
what about jake woods who pitched at rancho last season.
 A: 

Jim Callis: Woods gets lost in the shuffle a little bit with all of Anaheim's minor league talent, but he's a three-pitch lefty with a plus curveball, a fastball with average velocity and good life, and an improving changeup.

Q:  Keith from Diamond Bar asks:
The Angels have a lot of right handed ptiching in their system, but but haven't had much success developing left handers. Saunders obviously has potential but has the obvious health concerns. Among the other left handers, have the best chance to make the parent team? And who has the highest ceiling?
 A: 

Jim Callis: We just mentioned Woods as another. Anthony Whittington, a second-rounder last June, has a high ceiling. Others to watch include Tim Bittner, Kyle Pawelczyk, Scott Hindman, Micah Posey and Nick Touchstone.

Moderator: Thanks for all your great Angels questions. We'll be back with another prospect chat on Wednesday, as Casey Tefertiller will be on hand to discuss the Athletics.

Page Not Found - BaseballAmerica.com
The page you are looking for does not exist or has moved

Sorry, the page you're looking for is either like Sidd Finch and does not exist, or like Josh Hamilton and has moved. Where would you like to go instead?

BaseballAmerica.com Home

The latest news from our top sections:

Majors, Minors, Stats, Draft, College, High School, International or Viewpoint