2012 Draft Report Cards: Philadelphia Phillies
Best Pure Hitter:
Despite forfeiting their first-round pick by signing Jonathan Papelbon, the Phillies added a pair of promising high school pitchers with supplemental picks they got for losing Raul Ibanez and Ryan Madson.
|Bonus spending: $4.8 million
OF Andrew Pullin
(5) has an unorthodox stance and set-up, but once he loads his hands and gets his swing going, everything is in the right place and his bat stays in the zone a long time. 1B/3B/OF Cameron Perkins
(6) combines a fast bat and aggressive approach, and he has a consistent track record of producing at the plate. Best Power Hitter:
OF Dylan Cozens
(2) wasn't a consensus early-round pick because of questions about his defense and hitting ability, but there's no doubting his top-of-the-scale power. 1B Chris Serritella
(4) has plus pop. Fastest Runner:
The Phillies didn't draft any burners, but OF Steven Golden
(13) is a good athlete with above-average speed. Best Defensive Player:
3B Zach Green
(3) was a shortstop in high school, but his size and range make him a better fit at the hot corner. He's a baseball rat with good instincts, soft hands and a strong arm.
RHP Mitch Gueller
(1s) uses an athletic frame to generate a 90-93 mph fastball that tops out at 95. RHPs Kevin Brady
(10) and Zach Cooper
(15) also can get to 95. Best Secondary Pitch:
RHP Shane Watson
(1s) has a true hammer curveball. He discovered that he has diabetes after being drafted.
ODDS AND ENDS
Best Pro Debut:
LHP Hoby Milner
(7) went 7-3, 2.50 with 54 strikeouts in 68 innings, including 12 starts in low Class A. Best Athlete:Cozens
has a good combination of size and strength, and if he had gone to Arizona he planned to play baseball and defensive end for the football team. His father Randy also was a defensive end drafed by the Broncos in the 1976 NFL draft. Most Intriguing Background:
Before standing out as a position player, Pullin
was known as an ambidextrous pitcher. Milner's
father Brian went straight from high school to the big leagues in 1978 as a Blue Jays bonus baby. C Darrell Miller Jr.'s
(34) dad spent five years in the majors and now works for Major League Baseball. Miller's aunt Cheryl and uncle Reggie are basketball Hall of Famers. RHP Chris Nichols'
(31) father Rod pitched in the big leagues and is Philadelphia's bullpen coach. Unsigned RHP David Hill's
(17) brother John catches in the Phillies system. Unsigned RHP Austin Norris
(39) is the grandson of former Phillies and current Royals executive Mike Arbuckle. Closest To The Majors:
Coming out of Texas, Milner shows advanced polish and feel for pitching. Best Late-Round Pick:
RHP Drew Anderson
(21) opened eyes in instructional league, showing the potential for a solid fastball and plus breaking ball. The One Who Got Aaway:
RHP Alec Rash
(2) didn't pitch well during his summer high school season in Iowa and wound up at Missouri. Philadelphia made a bigger run at Hill, who has more upside and is now at Long Beach State.