Madison Bumgarner, lhp, Giants
South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C.Class:
|THROUGH THE YEARS IN BASEBALL AMERICA|
|• Bumgarner ended his high school career with a state title as he hit a walk-off home run in the championship game.|
• Bumgarner ranked as the draft's best lefty halfway through the season
• Bumgarner impressed scouts when he starred in an "Oscar Game."
• The lefty ranked among the top high school fastballs in the draft in our preseason best tools list.
• When we picked our Preseason High School All-American team , Bumgarner was the first-team lefthander.
|• Bumgarner ranked fifth on the list of the Top 20 Prospects at the East Coast Showcase.|
• At the East Coast Showcase Bumgarner impressed with his clean delivery
In terms of physical features, arm slot and velocity, Bumgarner could
be considered a lefthanded version of Phillippe Aumont. He pitches with
less effort and has better fastball command than his Canadian
counterpart. But the knock on Bumgarner is the lack of a true secondary
pitch. He pitches off his best weapon, a 92-94 mph fastball that has
been up to 97 this spring. It has late life and finish. He has tried
multiple grips and shapes with his breaking ball, and at times has
flashed a fringe-average pitch that has tilt and late snap at 81 mph.
Like Aumont, Bumgarner throws from a low three-quarters release point,
which he doesn't repeat well, and that makes achieving downward action
on his breaking ball difficult. His changeup is a below-average pitch
that should improve when and if he throws it more often. Because of his
size, athleticism and velocity, Bumgarner is a surefire first-rounder.
The club that believes he can come up with a true breaking ball down
the line could pop him as early as 10th or 11th overall.|