TOP 5: HOW THEY'LL FINISH
|3.||Cortland State (N.Y.)||43||9|
NCAA Division III World Series: Eight teams, May 25-30 at Appleton, Wis. (Wisconsin-Oshkosh).
PLAYERS TO WATCH
C—Gerard Haran, Jr., College of New Jersey (.386-15-74). 1B—Kurt Kapferer, Sr., Wooster, Ohio (.382-10-55). 2B—Lucas Jones, Sr., Lynchburg, Va. (.481-2-50). 3B—Zach Lutz, So., Alvernia, Pa. (.423-14-80). SS—Garner Wetzel, Sr., Millsaps, Miss. (.407-12-51). OF—Eddie Adamson, Sr., Wisconsin-Whitewater (.421-10-73); Pat Christensen, So., Wooster, Ohio (.384-16-64); Andy Mead, Sr., Cortland State, N.Y. (.413-8-55). DH—Eric Bonds, Sr., Alvernia, Pa. (.451-7-44). P—Ryan Brandt, Sr., Methodist, N.C. (.7-2, 2.14, 88 IP/89 SO); Kevin Foeman, Sr., Mary Washington, Va. (10-3, 1.93, 102 IP/108 SO); Derrick Jones, Sr., George Fox, Ore. (9-1, 2.50, 76 IP/73 SO); Buddy Klovstad, Sr., Chapman, Calif. (10-0, 1.91); Dan Zeffiro, Jr., Kean, N.J. (9-0, 0.90).
Player of the Year: Garner Wetzel, ss, Millsaps (Miss.).
TOP PROSPECTS, 2006 DRAFT
1. Garner Wetzel, ss, Millsaps (Miss.).
2. Brady Salter, rhp, Aurora (Ill.).
3. Matt Bishop, rhp, Endicott (Mass.).
• Wisconsin-Whitewater won its first NCAA Division III College World Series a year ago, but faces a major rebuilding job as its two ace pitchers, Greg Reinhard (12-0, 1.82) and Kevin Tomasiewicz (15-1, 2.80), were lost to professional baseball. Reinhard led Division III with 146 strikeouts and was selected the Division III player of the year, while Tomasiewicz was the leading winner in Division III and named the Most Outstanding Player at the CWS.
• Ohio’s Wooster College finished third at last year’s CWS and assumes the role of preseason favorite as it returns five regulars, including senior 1B Kurt Kapferer (.382-10-55) and sophomore OF Pat Christensen (.384-16-64), and almost its entire pitching staff. “I think we’re going to be pretty good,” coach Tim Pettorini said. “We’ve got a lot of pitching and hitting has never been a problem here. Also, we’re a little bit faster on the bases.” The Fighting Scots pitching staff features three brothers: senior RHP Walt Samson (6-2, 3.40), sophomore LHP Adam Samson (2-1, 3.96) and freshman RHP Michael Samson.