February 15, 2002
USA Baseball announced three assistant coaches for the college national team Wednesday. Terry Alexander of Jacksonville University, Sunny Golloway of Oral Roberts University and Terry Rupp of the University of Maryland will assist head coach Lelo Prado of the University of Louisville.
Also, Chris Gebeck of Duluth, Minn., will return as the USA Baseball National Team Trainer for the third consecutive summer.
“These coaches each have an excellent background and all three are very well respected in the collegiate baseball ranks,” said Steve Cohen, USA Baseball Director of National Teams. “We are very fortunate to have their help this summer, as we try to capture the first ever collegiate level World Championship.”
In June, USA Baseball will invite approximately 35-40 of the nation’s top freshman and sophomore collegiate players to the USA Baseball National Team Trials in Tucson, Arizona. Prado and his coaching staff will select a team, then depart for the east coast to play a five-game series against the Japanese Collegiate All-Stars–the 31st annual meeting of the two countries.
Team USA will then play approximately 10-15 additional games in July in various states on the USA Red, White and Blue Tour before traveling to the Honkbal Baseball Classic in Haarlem, The Netherlands in late July. Team USA’s summer will climax at the first ever FISU World Baseball Championships (27-under) in Sicily and Messina, Italy, August 1-11.
This will be the first career USA Baseball coaching experience for each of the three assistant coaches. The complete USA Baseball National Team Schedule will be announced in the upcoming months.
Assistant Coach Bios
TERRY ALEXANDER, University of Jacksonville
• Is entering his 12th season as head coach of the Jacksonville Dolphins of the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• Has compiled a 383-278-2 record (.579) and has led his team to five NCAA Regional appearances.
• Won a pair of Conference championships (’95, ’99) and was named the Sun Belt Conference Coach-of-the-Year in 1991.
• Served as an Assistant Coach at Jacksonville from 1980-90.
SUNNY GOLLOWAY, Oral Roberts University
• Is entering his 7th season as head coach of the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles–the four-time defending Mid Continent Conference Champions.
• Has compiled a six-year, 246-117 record (.678) mark at ORU and has twice been named the Mid Continent Conference Coach of the Year (1999, 2000).
• Has won four consecutive Mid Continent Conference regular-season and tournament titles since ’98, and has advanced to four consecutive NCAA Regionals.
• Served as an Assistant Coach at the University of Oklahoma in the mid 90’s, and helped guide the Sooners to three College World Series appearances (1992 ’94 ’95) and the 1994 national championship.
• Also guided the Kenai Peninsula Oilers to consecutive National Baseball Congress World Series championships in 1993 and 1994.
TERRY RUPP, University of Maryland
• Is entering his 2nd season as head coach of the Maryland Terrapins of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
• Has compiled a 6-year, 232-117 (.665) career mark as a head coach at Maryland and Division II Tampa.
• Won the Division II National Championships as the head coach for the University of Tampa in 1998 (46-14).
• Was a two-time All-South Region Player at Tampa, and was drafted by the San Diego Padres in 1989.