Last call for your Mitchell Report Drafts. Is there a consensus No. 1? Obviously the Met’s clubbie list is the biggest gossip to make headlines since the D.C. Madam went public, but here is some other baseball news making headlines:
• Low Class A Quad Cities reaches a $185,000 stadium naming rights deal with Modern Woodmen, a local fraternal financial services organization. Yet to many fans of the soon-to-be-renamed Swing, the ballpark will always be the JOD.
• Peoria and the Cubs extend their relationship through 2012, but will Rhino be back at the helm in 2008?
• After failing to convince voters to renovate Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, the Reds give director of Florida operations Jeff Maultsby his walking papers — a week after the Winter Meetings.
• Lehigh Valley names its first manager: Dave Huppert, who guided low Class A Lakewood and high Class A Clearwater to league titles the past two years.
• Texas Collegiate League is on the verge of adding a fifth team, perhaps in time for the 2008 season.