Mariners Reportedly Sign Christopher Torres

See also: Trainer Says Yankees Left Dominican Prospect At Altar


Christopher Torres, whose trainer told Baseball America’s Ben Badler that the Yankees backed out of a seven-figure signing agreement with the 16-year-old Dominican shortstop, has reportedly agreed to a deal with the Mariners for $375,000.

The deal was first reported by Jesse Sanchez of mlb.com, via his Twitter account.

Christopher Torres (Bill Mitchell).

Christopher Torres (Bill Mitchell).

Torres, who Badler rated as the 20th-best prospect of this year’s crop, played in both the Dominican Prospect League and the International Prospect League, training with Orlando Mazara in the northern region of the Dominican Republic up in Santiago.

It was Mazara who told Badler earlier this month that the Yankees pulled out of their agreement with Torres because his skills had regressed due to inactivity under the Yankees’ watch.

Mazara said Torres’ playing condition had deteriorated because of weight gain, again because the Yankees did not want him to participate in other camps.

Apparently Torres’ condition merited a significantly reduced signing bonus than what he had expected to receive from either the Yankees or Mariners. Mazara claims the Yankees and Torres reached an oral agreement on a $2.1 million bonus, while the Mariners had offered $1.6 million.

Things took a turn for the worse for Torres in May, as Badler detailed earlier in the month.

Yankees vice president Mark Newman—who denied the team had a deal in place with Torres—confirmed that Torres’ inability to throw contributed to the team not signing him.

International | #Christopher Torres #July 2 #New York Yankees #Seattle Mariners

Add a Comment

comments powered by Disqus