The season is winding down and we’re seeing more state champions crowned. Here’s a look at the last week of high school action…
• Milton (Ga.) High split the first two games of the 6-A final series with Roswell (Ga.) High. The third game was played yesterday and turned out to be a thriller. The Eagles won 2-1 in eight innings. The dogpile at the end was tremendous as the pitcher got leveled and students joined the fun.
• No. 5 Jesuit High (Tampa) saw its bid for a state title come up short yet again. The Tigers fell in the 5-A semifinals to Ponte Vedra High (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.).
• No. 7 Pensacola (Fla.) Catholic High capped a perfect season by winning the 4-A championship—its second straight state title.
• No. 22 Archbishop McCarthy High (Southwest Ranches, Fla.) made state history by becoming the first school to win four consecutive state titles.
• The Tennessee 3-A state tournament featured an excellent pitchers’ duel that lived up to the hype. Senior righthander Kyle Serrano (Farragut High, Knoxville) edged junior lefthander Justus Sheffield (Tullahoma High) to advance. Both pitchers went the distance and struck out at least 10 batters each.
• No. 8 St. Francis High (Mountain View, Calif.) finished off a great season by winning the Central Coast Section title over Serra High (San Mateo, Calif.)
• No. 12 Buchanan High (Clovis, Calif.) was upset late in the playoffs, losing to Stockdale (Calif.) High in the semifinals of the Central Section playoffs.