A thin player population generally leads to a lack of scouting excitement in the Mid-Atlantic region—which includes Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.—but this is a strong year with a solid mix of college and high school talent and six players in the BA 500.
|THIS YEAR’S CROP|
|*****||One for the books|
|***||Solid, not spectacular|
|**||Not up to par|
|*||Nothing to see here|
|Rating compares this year’s group to what a state typically produces, not to other states|
Marshall righthander Aaron Blair has generated first-round buzz throughout the spring, and Maryland prep outfielder Matt McPhearson is arguably the fastest player in the draft. There’s a slight dropoff after McPhearson, but players like Jimmy Yezzo, Harrison Musgrave and Chad Kuhl could all get pushed up boards if they showing a willingness to sign.
Righthander K.J. Trader didn’t crack the BA 500, but he intrigues scouts because of his quick arm and signability. He isn’t committed to a four-year program and can sit 89-91 with his fastball. He is listed at 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, but he draws comparisons to Marcus Stroman—a Blue Jays first-round pick last year out of Duke—because of his frame and excellent athleticism. Outfielder Jake Fraley didn’t get a lot of hard looks this spring, but should be one to watch at Louisiana State over the next few years.
|NATIONAL TOP 500 PROSPECTS|
|BA 500 Scouting Reports|
1. Aaron Blair, RHP, Marshall (National Rank: 41)
2. Matt McPhearson, OF, Riverdale Baptist HS, Upper Marlboro, Md. (National Rank: 138)
3. Jim Yezzo, 1B, Delaware (National Rank: 290)
4. Harrison Musgrave, LHP, West Virginia (National Rank: 335)
5. Chad Kuhl, RHP, Delaware (National Rank: 365)
6. Canaan Cropper, RHP, Bennett HS, Salisbury, Md. (National Rank: 492)
|OTHER PROSPECTS OF NOTE|
7. K.J. Trader, RHP, Delmar (Del.) HS
8. Jake Fraley, OF, Caravel Academy, Bear, Del.
9. Jimmy Reed, LHP, Maryland
10. Corey Walter, RHP, West Virginia
11. Jake Stinnett, RHP, Maryland
12. Tim Kiene, 1B, Maryland
13. Corey Holmes, RHP, West Virginia
14. Hassan Evans, RHP, Delaware State
15. Errol Robinson, SS, St. John’s College HS, Washington, D.C.