It's such a down year for the Northeast across the board that we have added Massachusetts to our Lower New England roundup, which usually includes just Connecticut and Rhode Island. Massachusetts typically has the bulk of the talent in the area, but that's not the case this year.
|THIS YEAR'S CROP|
|*****||One for the books|
|***||Solid, not spectacular|
|**||Not up to par|
|*||Nothing to see here|
|Rating compares this year's group to what a state typically produces, not to other states|
Of the five Division I college programs in the Bay State, three of them failed to win 15 games. Holy Cross and Northeastern were the only ones with moderately successful seasons, finishing three and five games above .500 respectively.
Even pulling in another state, the region has just two players in the BA 500 this year, one of whom is an unsigned ninth-round pick from the 2012 draft: Connecticut second baseman L.J. Mazzilli. Thomas Milone, a Connecticut high school outfielder, will likely be the first player drafted, though that isn't expected to happen before the third round.
After Milone and Mazzilli, most of the top drafts from Lower New England will be discounted college players or diamond-in-the-rough preps who will more likely head to college. Righthander Brian Hunter can run his fastball up to 94 mph and has decent feel for secondary stuff, but he is still trying to find consistency. Righthander Ryley MacEachern has a big, strong frame at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, though he would benefit from fulfilling his commitment to Stony Brook. He pitches with an average fastball that could become plus, but hasn't shown much of a breaking ball.
|NATIONAL TOP 500 PROSPECTS|
|BA 500 Scouting Reports|
1. Thomas Milone, OF, Masuk HS, Monroe, Conn. (National Rank: 137)
2. L.J. Mazzilli, 2B, Connecticut (National Rank: 250)
|OTHER PROSPECTS OF NOTE|
3. Ryley MacEachern, RHP, Salisbury (Conn.) School
4. Aaron Barbosa, OF, Northeastern
5. Ben Bowden, LHP, English HS, Lynn, Mass
6. Craig Schlitter, RHP, Bryant
7. Brian Hunter, RHP, Hartford
8. David Hickey, LHP, Yale
9. Nick Zammarelli, 3B, Lincoln (R.I.) HS
10. Michael Ahmed, 3B, Holy Cross
11. John Murphy, SS, Sacred Heart
12. Peter Kelich, RHP, Bryant
13. Ryan Summers, C, Berkshire School, Sheffield, Mass.
14. Michael Reed, OF, St. George's School, Middletown, R.I.
15. Nolan Long, RHP, South Kent (Conn.) School
16. Sean Furney, RHP, Rhode Island
17. Carson Cross, RHP, Connecticut
18. Brian Ward, LHP, Connecticut
19. Conor Bierfeldt, OF, Western Connecticut State
20. John Colella, RHP, Holy Cross