North Carolina has drawn plenty of interest this season with two of the top college teams in the country and a potential top five pick in Tar Heels third baseman Colin Moran.
|THIS YEAR’S CROP|
|*****||One for the books|
|***||Solid, not spectacular|
|**||Not up to par|
|*||Nothing to see here|
|Rating compares this year’s group to what a state typically produces, not to other states|
The University of North Carolina sat atop the College Top 25 for much of the season, won the Atlantic Coast Conference regular season and tournament, and was the No. 1 national seed for the NCAA tournament. Aside from the premium talent like Moran and lefthanders Kent Emanuel and Hobbs Johnson, the Tar Heels have some nice complementary players as well.
Outfielders Brian Holberton and Chaz Frank got plenty of looks as key offensive performers. Holberton has some experience behind the plate and showed decent power with a .307/.422/.507 line in 61 games with 10 home runs. Frank plays with a competitive edge and is a sparkplug atop a lineup.
North Carolina State’s success rides mostly on a strong group of sophomores led by Trea Turner and Carlos Rodon, who will both be premium picks for 2014.
The college class is propping up the state this year because the high school class thins out quickly after righthander Hunter Harvey. Scouts like what the future holds for the likes of third baseman Ryder Jones and righthanders Bailey Clark and Zack Littell, but believe they will be better off heading to college rather than starting pro ball.
Elon first baseman Ryan Kinsella trailed only San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant in NCAA Division I home runs this season with 20. He has good power, but holes in his swing. He has played some catcher in college but is limited to first base defensively. His teammate, righthander David Whitehead, figured to be a BA 500 player, but he struggled early in the season and eventually had Tommy John surgery.
Lefthander Rob Marcello was a weekend starter with a soft arsenal in previous years with Appalachian State, but he moved to the bullpen and flashed a plus fastball and good slider. He has been inconsistent this spring with a 5.24 ERA in 22 innings with 28 strikeouts and 20 walks.
|NATIONAL TOP 500 PROSPECTS|
|BA 500 Scouting Reports for North Carolina|
1. Colin Moran, 3B, North Carolina (National Rank: 7)
2. Hunter Harvey, RHP, Bandys HS, Catawba, N.C. (National Rank: 33)
3. Kent Emanuel, LHP, North Carolina (National Rank: 61)
4. Jack Reinheimer, SS, East Carolina (National Rank: 155)
5. Ryder Jones, 3B/RHP, Watauga HS, Boone, N.C. (National Rank: 197)
6. Champ Stuart, OF, Brevard (N.C.) (National Rank: 199)
7. Julian Ridings, OF, Western Carolina (National Rank: 204)
8. Bailey Clark, RHP, Asheville (N.C.) Christian Academy (National Rank: 257)
9. Weston Wilson, SS, Wesleyan Christian Academy, High Point, N.C. (National Rank: 258)
10. Jamie Schultz, RHP, High Point (National Rank: 291)
11. Tyler Barnette, RHP, Charlotte (National Rank: 292)
12. Hobbs Johnson, LHP, North Carolina (National Rank: 332)
13. Justin Livengood, RHP, UNC Wilmington (National Rank: 364)
14. Zack Littell, RHP, Eastern Alamance HS, Mebane, N.C. (National Rank: 498)
|OTHER PROSPECTS OF NOTE|
15. Cody Stubbs, 1B, North Carolina
16. Rob Marcello, LHP, Appalachian State
17. Ryan Kinsella, 1B, Elon
18. David Whitehead, RHP, Elon
19. Patrick Goetze, RHP, Wake County Home Schools, Raleigh, N.C.
20. Will Callaway, SS, Appalachian State
21. Zach Houchins, 3B, East Carolina
22. Drew Van Orden, RHP, Duke
23. Blaze Tart, RHP, UNC Wilmington
24. T.J. McDonald, RHP, Gray’s Creek HS, Hope Mills, N.C.
25. Preston Hatcher, RHP, Western Carolina
26. Justin Seager, OF, Charlotte
27. Brian Holberton, C/OF, North Carolina
28. Joe O’Donnell, RHP, Hoggard HS, Wilmington, N.C.
29. Chris Marconcini, 1B, Duke
30. Matt Marksberry, RHP, Campbell
31. Cambric Moye, C, UNC Greensboro
32. Chaz Frank, OF, North Carolina
33. Pat Blair, SS, Wake Forest
34. Alex Swim, C, Elon
35. Brett Williams, OF, North Carolina State
36. Mike Felton, 2B, Campbell
37. Tarran Senay, 1B, North Carolina State
38. Matt Conway, 1B, Wake Forest
39. Josh Easley, RHP, North Carolina State
40. Niko Fraser, OF, Elon
41. Chase McDonald, 1B, East Carolina
42. Dylan Clark, LHP, Elon
43. Niko Spezial, LHP, Wake Forest
44. Nate Young, RHP, Elon
45. Dallas Newton, RHP, Pitt (N.C.) CC
46. Benji Jackson, OF, Gardner-Webb
47. Dean Roland, RHP, UNC Asheville
48. Andrew Barnett, RHP, Gardner-Webb
49. Dillon Tabar, RHP, UNC Asheville
50. Anthony Tzamtzis, RHP, North Carolina State