The opening skirmish of the 2013 Civil War between No. 16 Oregon and No. 6 Oregon State went to the Ducks on Tuesday. Oregon broke a 3-3 tie with three runs in the ninth, highlighted by Aaron Payne’s tie-breaking two-run triple, propelling the Ducks to a 6-3 win in Corvallis. After Oregon State tied the game at 3-3 with two runs in the fourth, four Oregon relievers—Darrell Hunter, Christian Jones, Garrett Cleavinger and Jimmie Sherfy—worked a combined five innings of two-hit, scoreless relief, setting the stage for Oregon’s ninth-inning rally. The rivalry continues with a three-game conference series in Eugene from May 17-19, then concludes with another midweek game in Corvallis on May 21.
On to the rest of Tuesday’s highlights.
Top 25 Showdowns
• Ross Mitchell threw six innings of two-hit, shutout relief to lead No. 21 Mississippi State to a 5-1 win against No. 23 Mississippi in Pearl, Miss. Adam Frazier’s two-run single broke a 1-1 tie in the sixth, and the Bulldogs never looked back. Jonathan Holder (1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K) nailed down the win for MSU, which handed the Rebels their sixth straight loss, and eighth loss in their last 10 games.
Top 25 Upsets
• Florida took advantage of two errors in the ninth inning to break a 3-3 tie and beat No. 7 Florida State 4-3 in Tallahassee. Richie Martin, starting in center field for the second straight game, had two RBIs to lead the Florida offense. D.J. Stewart had three hits for Florida State, which committed four errors in the game. FSU still won the season series 2-1.
• After No. 8 Louisville scored twice in the ninth to tie the score, Western Kentucky took advantage of two Louisville errors in the ninth to pull off the 6-5 upset. Closer Nick Burdi inherited a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the ninth, then recorded a strikeout for the second out, but Regan Flaherty followed with a walk-off RBI single.
• New Mexico split a doubleheader at No. 10 Arkansas, winning the opener 3-0 but losing 4-3 in the nightcap. Drew Bridges and Josh Walker combined on a six-hit shutout for New Mexico in the first game. The Hogs broke a 3-3 tie in the second game with a run in the ninth on Jacob Mahan’s walk-off RBI single. Tyler Spoon had three hits in that one to lead the Arkansas offense.
• James Bourque (5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) and Matt Ogden (3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K) led Michigan to a 4-1 win at No. 18 Notre Dame. Michael O’Neill and Kevin White had two hits and one RBI apiece to lead the offense for the Wolverines, who have won six straight (including a sweep of rival Michigan State).
• Brandon Thomas (2-for-5, 2 RBI, 2B) returned from mononucleosis and helped lead Georgia Tech to a 7-5 win at Georgia. Zane Evans had two hits and three RBIs for the Yellow Jackets, who rebounded after scoring just two runs in three games in a series loss to Duke.
• The top three teams in the rankings, North Carolina, Vanderbilt and LSU, all cruised to blowout victories. UNC bludgeoned Elon 15-3, Vandy beat Tennesse-Martin 10-3, and LSU hammered Southern 11-2.
• J.D. Davis hit a grand slam to highlight Cal State Fullerton’s six-run third, leading the Titans to a 6-4 win against Southern California.
• After The Citadel scored three runs in the top of the ninth to tie the score, South Carolina earned a 6-5 win on Joey Pankake’s walk-off homer in the bottom of the frame. Max Schrock left the game with a slight concussion after a collision at second base, but Gamecocks coach Chad Holbrook told reporters afterward that he is hopefull Schrock will be able to make the trip to Florida this weekend.
• Kyle Barrett had two hits and two RBIs, and Kyle Cody (5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) turned in a strong start to lead Kentucky to a 6-3 win against Austin Peay State.
• Slugger Kyle Schwarber is out with a strained PCL, but No. 12 Indiana kept on hitting without him. Sam Travis went 3-for-4 with four RBIs to lead a 14-hit attack, as the Hoosiers beat Evansville 10-8.
• Michael Aquino had three of Rice’s five hits, but the Owls drew six walks and benefited from four errors to beat Lamar 9-8. Aquino doubled to lead off the ninth and scored the winning run on Michael Ratterree’s sacrifice fly.
• Casey Roche (5-for-7, 10 RBI) hit for the cycle in Pittsburgh’s 24-7 shellacking of Youngstown State.
• Austin Wilson (2-for-4, 2 R) hit a one-out double to spark Stanford’s three-run ninth inning, leading the Cardinal to a 10-8 win at San Jose State.
• North Carolina State ran its winning streak to seven games with a 2-0 win against East Carolina. Karl Keglovits (4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R) and four relievers combined on a five-hit shutout. N.C. State mustered just three hits, but Tarran Senay’s two-run single in the sixth provided all the offense the Wolfpack needed.
• Connor Spencer (4-for-4, 2 R, RBI), Taylor Sparks (3-for-4, 2 R, 3 RBI) and Scott Gottschling (3-for-4, 4 RBI) led a 16-hit attack, leading UC Irvine to a quality midweek win at San Diego, 11-3.