Compiled by John Manuel
1. Steve Gilman, rhp, Metro NY (Yale)
6-foot-1, 190-pound Gilman pitched just 22 innings in 2006 due to
control problems at Yale before assuming a closer role in the ACBL. He
took to relief, throwing more consistent strikes with a fastball that
touches 92-93 mph.
2. Josh Smith, rhp, Lehigh Valley (Arkansas)
soon to be 23, has played at Arizona State, Central Arizona Junior
College and Arkansas, missing a year with Tommy John surgery along the
way. He had the league's top fastball, reaching 94 mph, and has been
3. Michael Whitney, rhp Lehigh Valley (Navarro, Ariz., Junior College)
knack for throwing strikes with his average fastball and slider and
occasional curve distinguishes Whitney, an 18th-round pick in 2005 by
4. Peter Kennelly, rhp, Stamford (Fordham)
A walk-on at Fordham, Kennelly showed a live arm with a 90-91 mph fastball and improved changeup.
5. Will Romanowicz, rhp, Kutztown (Elon)
the league's most dominant pitcher, Romanowicz used an upper-80s
fastball and mid-80s cutter to limit opponents to a .154 average while
posting a 1.29 ERA.
6. Phil Rummel, rhp, Kutztown (Kutztown, Pa.)
A big-bodied pitcher who commands an upper-80s fastball, Rummel led the league in wins and ERA.
7. Jimmy Principe, of, Lehigh Valley (Brookdale, N.J., CC)
considered him the league's top hitting prospect due to his rangy
(6-foot-3) frame, 6.6-second speed over 60 yards and line-drive
8. Brendon Murphy, of-1b, Lehigh Valley (Marshall)
rising senior, the 6-foot-3, 230-pound Murphy doubled his home run
output from last summer's ACBL total, hitting four to tie for the
9. Perry Schatzow, ss, Jersey (Kean, N.J.)
Though he has little pop (six extra-base hits), Schatzow hit .346 and was the league's top defensive middle infielder.
10. Matt Gianini, lhp, Stamford (Central Connecticut State)
league's innings leader is a command-and-control lefty with
below-average stuff for a pro. He walked just 44 in a combined 143
innings between being the No. 1 starter for both Central Connecticut
State and Stamford in the ACBL.