Quick Hits from the first full day of games of the World Cup in Panama, where the United States' opener against Japan was rained out:
• Cuba announced its presence with authority, beating Australia 14-0 in seven innings. The Aussies had just three hits—one apiece from ex-White Sox farmhand Thomas Brice, Matt Kennelly (Braves) and Joel Naughton (Phillies). Meanwhile, Cuba teed off on four Australian pitchers, getting a grand slam from shortstop Erisbel Arruebarruena in a 16-hit attack.
• Netherlands righthanders Shairon Martis (Nationals) and Tom Stuifbergen (Twins) combined on a four-hitter in a 2-1 victory against Taiwan. Vince Rooi hit a two-run single in the second, and Martis made it stand with seven three-hit innings, yielding a walk and a run. Stuifbergen gave up one hit in relief to earn the save. The Dutch beat Yao Lin Wang (Cubs), who pitched well, giving up just five hits and two walks while striking out seven in seven innings. Wang went 4-4, 3.22 with 77 strikeouts in 67 innings for Boise in the short-season Northwest League this season.
• The Dominican Republic shut out Italy 7-0 with a combined two-hitter from Angel Castro (Mexican League) and ex-big leaguers Runelvys Hernandez and Dario Veras. Ex-Mets farmhand Victor Mendez hit a grand slam off ex-Cubs righthander Alex Maestri for the decisive blow.
• Canada took a 9-1 victory against Puerto Rico behind five scoreless innings by lefthander Andrew Albers (Twins), who gave up just one hit and two walks, and got home runs from Jimmy Van Ostrand (Astros) and Cole Armstrong (Angels). Neftali Soto (Reds) had a double and scored Puerto Rico's lone run.
• Germany committed five errors in Nicaragua's four-run first, rallied to tie the game, then lost 5-4. Donald Lutz (Reds) homered for Germany, while Max Kepler (Twins) went 0-for-1 with three walks and a run scored.
• Venezuela upset South Korea 5-4 as Ron Acuna hit a solo homer for Venezuela.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog