Spring training may be just completed, but clubs still have a day or two to finalize decisions on Rule 5 draft selections they made last Dec. 10.
Clubs selected 17 players in the major league phase last year, and we know the fate of 11 of those picks already. The other six still had a chance to stick. Well, it's down to five, really, because Indians righthander Hector Ambriz will begin on the disabled list after pitching just two innings this spring. He walked three and struck out one. The fateful five:
• John Raynor, of, Pirates, taken No. 2 overall
He batted .227/.277/.409 (10-for-44) this spring, with a double, two triples, a homer and an 0-for-1 showing in stolen bases.
• Zack Kroenke, lhp, Diamondbacks, taken No. 6 overall
He went 1-0, 7.71 this spring, striking out two and walking two over seven innings. He allowed 11 hits and one home run.
• Carlos Monasterios, rhp, Dodgers, taken No. 7 overall
He went 0-1, 1.80 this spring, striking out nine and walking seven over 15 innings. He allowed nine hits and one home run.
• Kanekoa Texeira, rhp, Mariners, taken No. 16 overall
He went 1-0, 0.64 this spring, striking out eight and walking four over 14 innings. He allowed nine hits and no home runs.
• David Herndon, rhp, Phillies, taken No. 22 overall
He went 0-0, 0.77 this spring, striking out seven and walking four over 11 2/3 innings. He allowed seven hits and no home runs.
Naturally, the players selected toward the end of the draft performed the best in spring training.
Of the 11 players who already know they're beginning in the minors, here's a rundown:
Returned to original club (seven):
• OF Jamie Hoffmann (No. 1 overall pick) to Dodgers, March 22
• 3B Jorge Jimenez to Red Sox, March 21
• RHP Bobby Cassevah to Angels, March 15
• RHP Zech Zinicola to Nationals, March 17
• LHP Armando Zerpa to Red Sox, March 15
• RHP Steven Johnson to Orioles, March 16
• LHP Ben Jukich to Reds, March 18
Acquired from original club after completing a trade (two):
• Rangers acquired LHP Ben Snyder from Giants, sending LHP Edwin Escobar as compensation (April 1)
• Brewers acquired LHP Chuck Lofgren from Indians, sending RHP Omar Aguilar as compensation (March 16)
Acquired from original club for no compensation (two), meaning original club opted not to buy them back for $25,000 fee:
• Royals acquired LHP Edgar Osuna from Braves (March 31)
• Cubs acquired RHP Mike Parisi from Cardinals (March 27)
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog