As you’ve seen, we have confirmation of several major signings on the first day of the international signing period.
However, most signings have either not been officially announced or will wait until after July 2 to commence as the market sorts itself out. There will be more signings tomorrow that either the teams will officially announce or that we will report here on the BA Prospects blog if we feel confident enough in our information to report what we are hearing.
As for all the e-mails about Miguel Sano: No, he has not signed. Not yet, anyway.
Here’s a recap of signings from today that we can confirm:
• The Cardinals signed Dominican outfielder Wagner Mateo for $3.1 million, a franchise record for an amateur signing bonus and the largest bonus ever given to a Latin American hitter. Mateo is an advanced hitter with a power bat.
• The Yankees signed Dominican catcher Gary Sanchez for $3 million. Sanchez has a plus arm and plus power. The Yankees also signed Dominican shortstop Damian Arredondo, who is a speedster with above-average defensive tools, and Dominican righthander Christopher Cabrera, who signed for $400,000.
• The Athletics signed Venezuelan shortstop Wilfredo Solano, who has a good swing and power potential. The A’s also signed Junior Martinez, a Venezuelan third baseman with power potential, and Alfredo Sosa, an athletic outfielder from Venezuela.
• The Blue Jays signed Santiago Nessy, a power-hitting catcher from Venezuela.
• The Brewers signed Dominican right fielder Jose Pena, who flashes power potential from his 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame.
• The Astros signed Dominican shortstop Jonathan Mejia, who might move off the position but shows his potential at the plate.
• The Pirates signed three players from Taiwan: 18-year-old outfielder Ping-Hung Chi, 18-year-old righthander Shen-Cin Hong and 17-year-old first baseman Chih-Wei Hsu.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog