Top 25 Showdowns
• No. 9 Oregon evened its season series against No. 23 Oregon State with a 3-2 win. The Ducks and Beavers have split two midweek games and will end the regular season with a conference series against each other. Ryan Hambright's two-run single highlighted Oregon's three-run first inning in support of Thomas Thorpe (4 IP, 1 H, 0 R), and the Ducks got strong relief from Joey Housey (2 IP, 1 H, 0 R) and Jimmie Sherfy (2 IP, 1 H, 0 R), who picked up his 13th save.
Top 25 Upsets
• Vanderbilt climbed to .500 (24-24) for the first time this season with a 3-2 win against No. 22 Louisville—coach Tim Corbin's 400th victory at Vanderbilt. The 'Dores got strong pitching from Kevin Ziomek (3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K), Drew VerHagen (3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K) and Jared Miller (2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K), and Conrad Gregor broke a 2-2 tie with a run on a wild pitch in the eighth. Vandy has six regular-season games left—three at LSU, three vs. Ole Miss—as it tries to end the season with a winning record to be eligible for an at-large bid to regionals.
• James Ramey (3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBI) hit his 11th homer to break a scoreless tie in the sixth, and top-ranked Florida State tacked on seven runs in the ninth to beat Stetson 9-1. Scott Sitz (6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) turned in a strong start to pick up the win.
• Mike Zunino (3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 2B) hit a walk-off double in the 11th to give No. 6 Florida a 4-3 win against North Florida. Keenan Kish (4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K) pitched well in relief for the Gators.
• Michael Ratterree hit a three-run homer to lead the Rice offense in support of Andrew Benak (7 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K) in a 6-0 win against Stephen F. Austin State.
• No. 12 North Carolina extended its winning streak to six with a quality midweek win against CAA leader UNC Wilmington, 4-2. Benton Moss (3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K) earned the win in a predetermined three-inning start, and Colin Moran went 2-for-3 with an RBI.
• No. 11 UCLA improved to 9-0 in midweek games and 20-4 in nonconference action with a 6-2 win at Pepperdine. The Bruins are also 13-3 away from home. Grant Watson (5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) rebounded from Sunday's nightmarish relief outing with a strong start, and Scott Griggs worked a scoreless ninth, though he did issue two more walks. Tyler Heineman and Trevor Brown had three hits apiece for the Bruins, while Jeff Gelalich hit his seventh homer and drove in two.
• Dylan Covey (3 IP, 2 H, 0 R) and five relievers kept the UC Irvine offense at bay, and No. 18 San Diego broke a 1-1 tie with three runs in the eighth to win 4-1.
• East Carolina won its fifth straight game, 4-1 against bubble-dwelling Elon. Andy Smithmyer (6.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K) improved to 4-2 for the Pirates.
• Creighton pounded out 16 hits to beat rival Nebraska 8-1, the 500th career victory for Bluejays coach Ed Servais. The game drew 12,184 fans at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, the second largest NCAA crowd this season.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog