Missouri State redshirt sophomore righthander Nick Petree is a just machine. Petree threw eight shutout innings Friday in the Bears' 2-0 win against Evansville, extending his scoreless streak to 38 innings. He hasn't allowed an earned run in 72 2/3 innings over 11 starts dating back to March 2. As we wrote in Streakin' on April 25, Petree has dominated without his best velocity thanks to a herniation in a forearm muscle. Pretty remarkable.
On to the Top 25 rundown:
Top 25 Showdowns
• (25) Mississippi State at (6) Florida: Hudson Randall (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K) turned in his longest SEC start of the year in Florida's 4-1 win. MSU ace Chris Stratton (7 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) took his first loss of the season, as Daniel Pigott (2-for-4, 2 RBI) led the UF offense. Steven Rodriguez (2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K) dominated to pick up his third save.
Top 25 Upsets
• Loyola Marymount at (18) San Diego: Paul Sewald (4 IP, 11 H, 11 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) moved to the No. 1 starter job and was pounded in LMU's 13-1 win. Six Lions posted multiple hits in support of Colin Welmon (9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K).
Other Top 25 Results
• Vanderbilt at (3) Louisiana State: Kevin Gausman (9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K) threw LSU's first complete game of the season in a 2-1 win, as the Tigers clinched at least a share of the SEC West title. LSU scored twice in the second against T.J. Pecoraro (8 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K), who pitched well in defeat.
• (4) South Carolina at Georgia: Michael Roth (7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 6 K) improved to 5-0 in the Gamecocks' 3-0 win. L.B. Dantzler's solo homer broke a scoreless tie in the seventh against Alex Wood (9 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K), and South Carolina tacked on two more over the next two innings.
• Alabama at (7) Kentucky: Taylor Rogers (7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) led the Wildcats to a 4-2 win. Thomas McCarthy drove in two to lead the UK offense.
• (8) Cal State Fullerton at UC Santa Barbara: The Titans put up five runs in the first in support of Dylan Floro (6.1 IP, 9 H, 7 ER) en route to a 9-7 win. The Titans, who hit five homers in their first 45 games, hit three home runs Friday—one apiece by Michael Lorenzen, Matt Chapman and J.D. Davis.
• San Diego State at (10) Texas A&M: Michael Wacha (8.1 IP, 5 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K) dominated in A&M's 4-1 win. The Aggies scored all four runs in the third to help Wacha improve to 8-0, 2.14.
• (11) UCLA at Washington: The Bruins scored two runs in the third behind Adam Plutko (7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K), as UCLA beat Aaron West (8 IP, 5 H, 2 ER) and the Huskies 2-0 at Safeco Park.
• (12) North Carolina at Duke: Kent Emanuel (8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) out-dueled Marcus Stroman (7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) in UNC's 2-1 win.
• (14) Arizona at California: Alex Mejia had a pair of RBIs and executed a hidden-ball trick in support of Kurt Heyer (9 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K) in Arizona's 3-1 win. Heyer improved to 9-2 with his fifth complete game of the season.
• Michigan at (15) Purdue: Joe Haase (9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K) threw his third career complete-game shutout in Purdue's 4-0 win. The Boilermakers can clinch at least a share of their first Big Ten title since 1909 with a win Saturday.
• (16) Central Florida at Marshall: The Knights came from behind with three runs in the ninth to win 8-6. Bey Lively (3.2 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 4 K) had a rough start for UCF, but Eric Skoglund, Roman Madrid and Joe Rogers combined for 5 1/3 shutout innings of relief. Marshall committed five errors, including two in the ninth.
• Washington State at (17) Stanford: Mark Appel (8 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K) won his fourth straight decision and recorded double-digit strikeouts for the sixth time this season, leading the Cardinal to a 3-2 win. Appel has given up two or fewer runs in each of his last six starts.
• (19) Arizona State at Gonzaga: Brady Rogers (8 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) settled down after Gonzaga's two-run first to hold the Zags scoreless over the next seven innings in ASU's 4-2 win. Rogers improved to 9-2.
• Auburn at (20) Arkansas: Jake Wise's walk-off, pinch-hit RBI single in the ninth propelled the Razorbacks to a 5-4 win, leveling the series. Dominic Ficociello had two RBIs for the Hogs.
• Georgia Tech at (21) Virginia: Brandon Downes singled home Jared King to break a tie in the eighth inning, propelling the Cavaliers to their ninth straight win, 6-5. UVa. overcame a rough start by Branden Kline (3.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER), as Kyle Crockett, Nick Howard and Justin Thompson combined to throw 5.2 innings of two-hit, scoreless relief.
• St. John's at (22) Louisville: Ty Young went 4-for-4 with two RBIs in support of Justin Amlung (7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K), leading the Cardinals to a 5-0 win. Louisville climbed within one game of first-place St. John's.
• (23) Oregon State at Utah: MIchael Conforto's second two-homer game of the season powered the Beavers to an 11-10 win. Conforto (3-for-5, 5 RBI) led OSU's 15-hit attack in support of Ben Wetzler (5 IP, 9 H, 4 ER), who improved to 6-2.
• (24) Texas Christian at Air Force: Jason Coats and Kevin Cron had three hits and three RBIs apiece behind Preston Morrison (8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K) in TCU's 10-0 win.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog