A number of series opened on Thursday this weekend because of the Easter holiday. Here's a rundown of the day's Top 25 action.
Top 25 Showdowns
• (12) Louisiana State at (1) Florida: Kurt McCune (5 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER) earned the win against Brian Johnson (4 IP, 7 H, 6 ER), as LSU toppled the Gators 7-6 in a game that ended in bizarre fashion. The Gators had the tying run at third with no outs in the ninth, and with one out Preston Tucker hit a fly ball to just in front of the warning track in right, but Daniel Pigott apparently got too excited, thinking the ball was a home run, and neglected to tag up from third. Nick Goody escaped the jam unscathed.
"I got no answer," Gators coach Kevin O'Sullivan told reporters afterward. "If the ball is over the fence, he scores. If the ball is caught, he scores. If the ball's a foul ball, he scores. If the ball's dropped, he scores. I have no answer."
JaCoby Jones (3-for-4, 2 RBI) and Alex Edward (2-for-4, 2 RBI) led the offense for LSU, which built a 6-2 lead by the fourth inning. Vickash Ramjit (3-for-4) drove in a career-high four runs for the Gators, who have lost four of their last five games. The good news for Florida: Karsten Whitson will return to the weekend rotation Friday. The bad news for Florida: Hudson Randall will not pitch this weekend due to a tired arm. Jonathan Crawford will start Saturday.
• (22) Oregon at (5) UCLA: Aaron Jones (2-for-5, 3 RBI) homered twice in support of Alex Keudell (7 IP, 8 H, 0 R), leading the Ducks to a 6-2 win against Adam Plutko (4.1 IP, 9 H, 5 ER) and the Bruins.
• (20) Oregon State at (24) Arizona State: Brady Rodgers (8 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) improved to 5-1 and lowered his ERA to a miniscule 1.12 in Arizona State's 8-2 win. Abe Ruiz (3-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBI, HR) went deep for the eighth time this year, leading a group of five Sun Devils with multiple hits against Dan Child (6 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) and the OSU bullpen.
Top 25 Upsets
• Gonzaga at (21) San Diego: Tyler Olson (9 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) turned in a gutty 138-pitch complete game, leading the Bulldogs to a 6-2 win in a showdown between the WCC's top two contenders. I caught this game at Cunningham Stadium, and Olson impressed with his ability to mix a running 85-88 fastball, sharp 76-77 slider and a good changeup that he used more in the middle to later innings. Maxx Garrett gave the Zags the lead for good with a two-run single in the fourth against Calvin Drummond (6.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K).
Other Top 25 Results
• (4) Arizona at Utah: Johnny Field (4-for-5, 4 R) led Arizona's 19-hit parade in support of Kurt Heyer (9 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K), who threw his second complete game of the season (fifth of his career).
• (6) Stanford at Washington: The Cardinal snapped its three-game losing streak with a 5-2 road win behind Mark Appel (9 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K). Eric Smith and Lonnie Kauppila had three hits apiece to lead Stanford's 12-hit attack.
• Oklahoma at (7) Texas A&M: The Aggies manufactured the tying run in the eighth, then won it 4-3 on Krey Bratsen's walk-off sacrifice fly in the 12th. Micahel Wacha (8 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) and Jordan John (7.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) were solid in no-decisions, and Kyle Martin (4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K) was brilliant in relief to earn the win.
• (9) Rice at Tulane: The Owls jumped out to a 5-1 lead by the fourth inning, then held on for a 5-4 road win. Matthew Reckling (3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 5 K) was chased in Tulane's three-run fourth, but Taylor Wall and J.T. Chargois combined for 5.1 innings of three-hit, shutout relief.
• UC Davis at (14) Cal State Fullerton: The Titans answered Davis' two-run eighth with three runs in the bottom of the frame to win 5-4. Freshman Clay Williamson delivered a game-winning, pinch-hit, two-run single up the middle to help Dylan Floro (8 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K) improve to 5-2.
• (16) Baylor at Missouri: The Bears improved to 10-0 in the Big 12 with a 3-1 win in Columbia. Jake Miller's two-run double highlighted Baylor's three-run sixth in support of Josh Turley (8.1 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K).
• (25) Texas at Texas Tech: Brooks Marlow's two-run single highlighted Texas' four-run sixth, propelling the Longhorns to a 7-4 win in Lubbock. Nathan Thornhill (6 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) improved to 4-2, and Corey Knebel worked two scoreless frames for his sixth save.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog