Top 25 Upsets
• Ross Heffley (2-for-3, 2 RBI) and Adam Curtis (6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER) led Western Carolina to a 5-3 win at No. 8 Georgia, handing the Bulldogs their first loss. Chase Hawkins pitched three perfect innings of relief in defeat for UGa.
• Ryan Walker and Matt Shortall combined for six hits and five RBIs in support of Kasey Merck (6 IP, 5 H, 0 R), leading Texas-Arlington to a 10-3 rout at No. 23 Oklahoma. Jonathan Gray (5 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) continued to struggle for the Sooners, who did get four hits from freshman cleanup man Hunter Lockwood.
• Vanderbilt's nightmarish start to the season continued, as the Commodores were pounded at home by Louisiana Tech, 9-3. Ryan Gebhardt went 4-for-5 with three RBIs for the Bulldogs, who got a strong outing from Phil Maton (7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K). The Commodores, who ranked No. 10 in the preseason but tumbled out of the rankings this week, fell to 1-7 on the season.
• No. 12 Miami earned a quality midweek win against Florida Atlantic, 10-5. Rony Rodriguez (3-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBI) and Michael Broad (2-for-5, 5 RBI) led the offense for the 'Canes, and Steven Ewing (7 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) improved to 2-0. Ewing figures to be one of college baseball's top midweek starters this year, unless he forces his way into the weekend rotation at some point.
• No. 4 Arkansas completed a two-game midweek sweep of Brigham Young with an 8-1 win. Dominic Ficociello (3-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBI) hit his first homer of the year for the Hogs, who outscored the Cougars 13-1 in two games.
• No. 14 Louisiana State gave up double-digit runs for the third straight game, but also scored more than two touchdowns for the second straight game. Mason Katz (4-for-5, 4 R, 5 RBI, HR) and Tyler Hanover (3-for-5, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2 2B) led LSU's 16-hit onslaught in a 19-10 win at McNeese State. Aaron Nola (5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) got the start and picked up the win, and McNeese scored five runs in the ninth against Nick Rumbelow. Katz is hitting .500 (14-28) through nine games.
• Six Golden Eagles recorded multiple hits in Southern Mississippi's 14-2 blowout of Alabama. Andrew Pierce (6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K) picked up his first win for USM, which scored seven runs in the fourth and six more in the fifth to put the game away.
• Another Conference USA team earned a nice win against an SEC team, as Memphis topped Mississippi State 7-6. Jacob Wilson (4-for-4, HR, 4 RBI) led the offense for Memphis, which blew a 6-2 lead in MSU's four-run eighth inning, then answered with a run in the ninth against close Caleb Reed.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog