Top 25 Showdowns
• No. 13 Cal State Fullerton snapped its 19-inning scoreless streak in the first inning and went on to a 9-5 win at No. 14 Arizona State. The Titans and Sun Devils split their annual two-game midweek series for the fourth time in the last five years. Ten Titans recorded hits as part of an 18-hit barrage, led by three apiece from Richy Pedroza and Austin Kingsolver. Freshmen Tyler Peitzmeier and Willie Kuhl combined to work 6.2 innings of two-run ball for Fullerton, and Michael Lorenzne worked 1.1 innings for his ninth save, tied for second-most in the nation.
Top 25 Upsets
• Texas State completed a two-game midweek sweep of No. 23 Oregon with a 7-6 win. Bobcats slugger Casey Kalenkosky homered for the second straight day, a two-run shot in the first, and Brooks Orton followed with another two-run shot in the second to put Texas State up for good.
• No. 2 Stanford broke open a 4-3 game with five runs in the fifth, highlighted by Alex Blandino's first career homer (a three-run shot), as the Cardinal beat St. Mary's 10-4.
• Cody Stubbs' two-run homer in the ninth forced extra innings, and Grayson Atwood delivered a walk-off RBI single in the 10th, as No. 5 North Carolina beat Coastal Carolina 7-6.
• No. 20 North Carolina State rebounded from its series loss at UNC by beating another in-state rival, East Carolina, 4-3 in 11 innings. After the Pirates knotted the score 3-3 with three runs in the fourth, Vance Williams (5 IP, 1 H, 0 R), Chris Oerman (1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB) and Ryan Wilkins (1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R) kept ECU off the board for the rest of the game, and Tarran Senay (3-for-5, 2 RBI) hit a walk-off RBI single in the 11th.
• Ten LSU pitchers combined on a three-hit shutout, leading the Tigers to a 5-0 win against Louisiana-Lafayette. Red-hot Raph Rhymes went 3-for-5, boosting his season average to .479.
• Georgia Tech salvaged a split of its two-game midweek series against Georgia Southern with a 10-5 win. Tech pounded out 14 hits in support of Cole Pitts (6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 K).
• A day after notching a big midweek win against Georgia, Clemson dropped a home game to Presbyterian, 8-4, to fall back to .500 (12-12). Gabe Grammer (6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER) and two relievers held the Tigers to six hits, and four Clemson errors led to five unearned runs.
• Southern California earned a solid road win against UC Irvine, 5-4. Garrett Stubbs hit a two-run homer for the Trojans, who got three hits apiece from Adam Landecker and James Roberts.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog