Top 25 Showdowns
• (21) Mississippi State at (13) Louisiana State: Mason Katz hit a two-run homer in the first, and LSU held on for a 4-3 win to clinch the series. Ryan Eades (7 IP, 8 H, 1 ER) picked up the win, as the Tigers won depite being out-hit 10-4. Evan Mitchell (4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K) was strong in relief of Nick Routt (3.2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER) for Mississippi State.
• (11) Arizona State at (9) UCLA: Postponed by rain; doubleheader scheduled for Sunday.
Top 25 Upsets
• (3) South Carolina at Kentucky: Fr. DH/LHP A.J. Reed delivered a tie-breaking, wind-blown RBI double in the seventh inning and picked up the win with two scoreless innings of relief, as the Wildcats toppled the Gamecocks for the second straight day, 4-3. Jerad Grundy (5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER) was solid in a no-decision for UK, and Trevor Gott recorded back-to-back strikeouts with the tying run on third base to end the game. The Wildcats improved to 20-0 on the season. Christian Walker had three hits in a losing cause, and Matt Price (6.1 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) took his first loss of the year.
• Auburn at (12) Mississippi: The Tigers broke open a one-run game with five runs in the eighth, highlighted by Zach Alvord's grand slam, to win 10-4 and even the series. Slade Smith (4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) turned in a stellar relief outing for Auburn. Ole Miss committed five errors behind R.J. Hively (7 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) in Auburn's five-run first inning.
• Virginia Tech at (16) Georgia Tech: Jake Atwell (4-for-5, 4 R, 3 RBI, HR) spearheaded Virginia Tech's 15-hit attack in a 12-9 win, leveling the series at a game apiece. The Hokies built an 8-0 lead by the sixth inning, and Georgia Tech's comeback bid in the late innings fell short.
• (17) Oregon at Washington: The Huskies clinched the series with a 5-0 win in the first game of Saturday's doubleheader, but the Ducks salvaged the finale, 3-2. Jacob Lamb's two-run single highlighted Washington's four-run first inning in support of Tyler Davis (6 IP, 3 H, 0 R) in the opener. Jake Reed (8 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER) went the distance in defeat for Oregon, which got stellar mound work from Brando Tessar (6.1 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) and Jimmie Sherfy (6.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) in the 13-inning nightcap. The Ducks managed just four hits in that one but pushed across an unearned run in the 13th.
• Stephen F. Austin State at (20) Texas State: The Lumberjacks overcame a three-run deficit with three in the eighth, then pulled of an 8-6 win on Freddy Villalobos' two-run homer off Jeff McVaney in the 10th. Bobby Loveless also homered and drove in three for Stephen F. Austin, which improved to 7-11 on the year.
• Texas at (22) Oklahoma: The Longhorns followed up Friday's 17-hit barrage with 15 more hits in Saturday's 9-5 win, clinching the series in Norman. Erich Weiss (4-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI) was one of five Longhorns to record multiple hits Saturday. Hoby Milner (3 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) earned the win in relief; Jonathan Gray (4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 ER) took the loss for OU.
• (24) Purdue at Wichita State: After dropping the first two games of the four-game series, the Shockers swept Saturday's doubleheader to salvage a series split. Erik Harbutz (4-for-5, RBI) led Wichita's 14-hit attack behind Josh Smith (6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) in an 8-2 win in the first game. Kevin Hall's two-run single in the sixth inning put the Shockers ahead for good in the nightcap, which they won 5-3.
Other Top 25 Results
• Vanderbilt at (1) Florida: The Gators ran their school-record winning streak to 16 games with a 5-1 victory behind Brian Johnson (6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K). Preston Tucker smacked his seventh homer of the year—a two-run shot—in Florida's four-run fifth. The Gators have won three straight series against Vandy.
• Alabama at (4) Arkansas: Derrick Bleeker and Matt Vinson delivered back-to-back two-run doubles in Arkansas' five-run third, and the Hogs went on to an 8-4 win, clinching the series. Ryne Stanek (5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K) improved to 5-0.
• (5) North Carolina at Maryland: Mike Zolk (3-for-5, 3 R, RBI) led a 12-hit attack behind Chris Munnelly (6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER), leading UNC to a series-clinching 9-5 win. Maryland's usual Saturday starter, David Carroll, was one of nine Terrapins facing disciplinary action this weekend for violations of the student-athlete code; he came out of the bullpen in relief of Michael Boyden (5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER). Maryland's starting center fielder, Charlie White, is out for the rest of the season with a broken hand suffered in a non-baseball incident.
• Washington State at (6) Arizona: After dropping Friday's series opener, the Wildcats rebounded with a doubleheader sweep Saturday to take the series. Robert Refsnyder (6-for-8, 4 R, 4 RBI, 2B, 3B) led the Arizona offense in both games, as the Wildcats won a pair of slugfests, 8-7 and 12-9.
• Virginia at (7) Florida State: The Seminoles won the opener of the Saturday-Sunday-Monday series, 12-3. Devon Travis and Justin Gonzalez had three hits apiece, and James Ramsey hit his fifth homer of the year, a three-run shot in the seventh that broke open a 6-3 game. Hunter Scantling (4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K) earned the win in relief.
• Grambling State at (8) Rice: Michael Fuda had five RBIs and Shane Hoelscher had four hits to lead Rice's 17-hit attack in support of Matthew Reckling (6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 13 K).
• Kansas State at (10) Texas A&M: Jacob House (2-for-4, 2 R, 4 RBI) led the A&M offense in support of Ross Stripling (9 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K), as the Aggies evened up the series with a 9-2 win. After Sr. 3B Matt Juengel made two errors Friday (giving him six on the season), the Aggies inserted Scott Arthur into the lineup at second base Saturday and slid freshman Blake Allemand to the hot corner.
• (14) Miami at Duke: Tyler Palmer hit an RBI single to break a 1-1 tie in the ninth inning, propelling the Hurricanes to a 2-1 win to knot up the series. Eric Whaley (8.1 IP, 8 H, 1 ER) earned the win for the 'Canes.
• Long Beach State at (15) Cal State Fullerton: The series finale was postponed by rain until Sunday.
• Tennessee at (18) Georgia: UGa.'s much-maligned offense busted out with 18 hits, as six Bulldogs recorded multiple hits in a 10-5 win, clinching the series. Levi Hyams, Colby May and Hunter Cole each homered and combined for eight hits and seven RBIs.
• Harvard at (19) Central Florida: The Knights won despite mustering just two hits, as Eric Skoglund (5 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K) and Garrett Nuss (4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K) shut down the Harvard offense in a 4-2 win.
• Wake Forest at (23) North Carolina State: The Demon Deacons got to Carlos Rodon (8 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 K) for a pair of runs in the first inning but were shut out thereafter, as the Wolfpack clinched the series with a 6-2 win. Trea Turner (3-for-4, 2 RBI) hit his first career homer for N.C. State.
• (25) Oregon State at California: The Beavers swept a doubleheader at Cal, 9-2 and 4-1, to clinch the series. OSU got strong starts from sophomores Ben Wetzler (8 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) and Dan Child (8 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K). Tyler Smith (3-for-4, 2 RBI) led OSU's 14-hit attack in the first game, and the Beavers won with just four hits in the second game.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog