Top 25 Showdowns
• (1) Florida at (16) Mississippi: Bobby Wahl (8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K) allowed just one Gator to advance past first base in the longest outing of his career, leading Ole Miss to a 3-0 win. Matt Snyder's two-run homer highlighted Mississippi's three-run first against Hudson Randall (6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K), and that was enough support for Wahl and Brett Huber, who worked a scoreless ninth for his sixth save.
• (2) Stanford at (8) Arizona: Mark Appel (8 IP, 12 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 5 K) carried a 7-4 lead into the ninth inning, but the Wildcats rallied for four runs in the ninth to win. Bobby Brown's two-run single up the middle tied the game, but Jake Stewart overran the ball in center field, allowing Seth Mejias-Brean to race all the way around from first with the winning run. Mejias-Brean and Brown combined for seven hits and six RBIs for the Wildcats, who committed five errors behind Kurt Heyer (8 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 11 K).
• (3) Arkansas at (15) Louisiana State: JaCoby Jones (4-for-5, 2B, R, RBI) and Raph Rhymes (2-for-4, HR, 4 RBI) led a 17-hit attack in support of Kevin Gausman (6.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 12 K), as LSU knocked of Arkansas 10-6. Rhymes, Ross and Hanover each hit their first homers of the year, giving LSU its first three-homer game since May 21, 2010. Gausman's 12 strikeouts were a career high.
• (10) Kentucky at (25) Georgia: For the third straight Friday, Georgia had to deal with wet weather. But while rain delays cut ace Alex Wood's starts to four innings in each of the last two weeks, this time around the game was postponed before it began. The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday.
• (14) Arizona State at (23) Oregon: The series opener was postponed in Eugene, too. A doubleheader has been scheduled for Saturday.
Top 25 Upsets
• Wake Forest at (5) North Carolina: The Tar Heels came from behind with five runs in the eighth inning to tie it at 6-6, but the Demon Deacons won it on Mark Rhine's sacrifice fly in the 12th against Michael Morin (4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K). Lefthanders Tim Cooney (7.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 3 ER) and Kent Emanuel (6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 9 K) were solid in no-decisions for Wake and UNC, respectively.
• (12) Miami at Clemson: The Tigers broke a 1-1 tie with two runs in the sixth against Eric Erickson (6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K), and Matt Campbell (4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K) and Scott Firth (1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) came out of the bullpen to shut down the Miami offense in a 3-1 win. Kevin Brady was rather wild for Clemson, issuing five walks in 3.1 innings.
Other Top 25 Results
• Virginia Tech at (4) Florida State: Devon Travis and Jayce Boyd had three hits apiece in support of Brandon Liebrandt (7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K), as Florida State improved to 9-1 in the ACC with a 5-2 win.
• (6) UCLA at Utah: Jeff Gelalich (3-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBI) hit his sixth homer of the year to lead a 16-hit attack in support of Adam Plutko (6.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 6 K), as the Bruins bludgeoned Utah 16-0.
• Missouri at (7) Texas A&M: The Aggies broke a 6-6 tie with two runs in the eighth on a balk and a bases-loaded walk to win 8-6. A week after throwing a two-hit shutout at Pepperdine, Michael Wacha (6.1 IP, 12 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K) was knocked around for the Aggies in a no-decision.
• Southern Mississippi at (9) Rice: Eight Owls recorded hits in a balanced 12-hit attack in support of Matthew Reckling (6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K), as Rice beat USM 6-3.
• (11) South Carolina at Vanderbilt: Christian Walker (2-for-3, 3 R, 3 RBI) homered twice behind Michael Roth (6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER), and Matt Price struck out five over three hitless innings of relief in South Carolina's 8-3 win.
• Cal State Northridge at (13) Cal State Fullerton: Richy Pedroza and Carlos Lopez had three hits apiece in support of Dylan Floro (9 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K), leading the Titans to a 7-2 win in their Big West opener.
• (17) Central Florida at Houston: Six Knights posted multi-hit games in support of Brian Adkins (5.2 IP, 8 H, 2 ER) in UCF's 8-3 win.
• California vs. (18) Texas in Round Rock, Texas: Six Longhorns posted multiple hits in a balanced 15-hit attack behind Nathan Thornhill (7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K), as Texas pounded Justin Jones (2.2 IP, 8 H, 8 R, 6 ER) and the Golden Bears, 13-3.
• Penn State at (19) Purdue: Eric Charles (2-for-3, 3 RBI) led a balanced 11-hit attack in support of Joe Haase (7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K), as the Boilermakers cruised to a 9-3 win.
• Virginia at (20) North Carolina State: Ethan Ogburn (8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K) stifled the UVa. offense in a 5-1 win. Freshmen Brett Austin and Logan Ratledge drove in two runs apiece for the Wolfpack.
• Oklahoma State at (21) Baylor: The Bears improved to 7-0 in the Big 12 with a 7-4 win. Baylor broke a 4-4 tie with three runs in the eighth (two of them on bases-loaded walks), helping Brad Kuntz (3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K) pick up the win in relief of Josh Turley (6 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER). The Bears erased a 4-1 deficit against red-hot OSU ace Andrew Heaney by scoring three runs in the sixth.
• Washington at (22) Oregon State: Postponed by rain.
• (24) San Diego at San Francisco: Calvin Drummond (9 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K) upstaged USF first-rounder-to-be Kyle Zimmer (7.1 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K), as the Toreros broke open a close game in the final three innings to win 6-1. Dillon Haupt (3-for-5, 2 RBI) homered in support of Drummond, who improved to 6-1 on the season. USD improved to 22-6 overall and 4-0 in the WCC.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog