Top 25 Showdowns
• (1) Florida at (8) South Carolina: The Gators bounced back from Thursday's 9-2 loss with an 8-2 win Friday to level the series. Vickash Ramjit, who entered the game in left field after third baseman Josh Tobias left with a hand injury (causing the Gators to shuffle their defense), homered twice, while Mike Zunino and Brian Johnson each added a homer apiece to help Johnson (6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) improve to 4-0. Rain delayed the start of the game for an hour, 15 minutes, and Florida jumped on Forrest Koumas (1 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 5BB, 3 K) for five runs in the first when play finally got going.
• (5) Arizona at (19) Oregon State: The Beavers won the series opener in walk-off fashion, 6-5. Oregon State built a 5-1 lead through three innings against Kurt Heyer (6.1 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 5 K), and Ben Wetzler (6.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB 7 K) held the Wildcats at bay until they rallied for two runs in each of the final two innings against the OSU bullpen to tie the game. But Ryan Dunn hit a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth to win it.
Top 25 Upsets
• (3) Arkansas at Mississippi State: Chris Stratton (7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K) shined in his second straight start against an SEC West power, leading the Bulldogs to an 11-2 win. With C.T. Bradford back in the lineup in center field, Hunter Renfroe slid to right for MSU and had a big game, hitting two homers (one of them inside-the-park) against Arkansas ace D.J. Baxendale (3 IP, 9 H, 8 R, 7 ER).
• (11) Louisiana State at Auburn: LSU's Kevin Gausman (5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 8 K) and Auburn's Derek Varnadore (7.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K) earned no-decisions, and Ryan Tella's RBI single in the eighth propelled Auburn to a 4-3 win. Auburn improved to 3-1 in the SEC, with all four games coming against ranked SEC West foes (LSU and Mississippi).
• (16) Kentucky at Tennessee: Zack Godley (8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) out-dueled Taylor Rogers (6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K), leading the Volunteers to a 4-1 win, as the nation's last remaining unbeaten team fell. Each team mustered just four hits.
• (15) Georgia Tech at Boston College: The Eagles, who were swept in their first two conference series, registered their first ACC win with a 15-7 upset of Georgia Tech in just their second home game of the year. Eight BC hitters posted multi-hit games, as the Eagles pounded out 19 hits against Buck Farmer (4.1 IP, 14 H, 11 ER) and Clay Dalton (3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER). Anthony Melchionda and Spenser Payne combined for two of BC's four homers, and six RBIs.
• (22) Texas at Kansas State: The Wildcats jumped out to a 4-1 lead through four innings against Nathan Thornhill (5.1 IP, 9 H, 4 ER) and cruised to a 5-2 upset. Matt Applegate (5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K) picked up the win for Kansas State, and leadoff man Ross Kivett sparked the offense with three hits and two runs.
• (23) Texas State at Sam Houston State: The Bearkats erased a 2-0 lead with four runs in the seventh against Travis Ballew (7 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 K) and held off Texas State's ninth-inning comeback bid to win 4-3. Cody Dickson (8 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K) was strong for SHSU.
• In the matchup we highlighted as this week's Marquee Mound Showdown in Thursday's Weekend Preview, Missouri State's Pierce Johnson (9 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 16 K) was masterful in a 3-0 win against Creighton's Ty Blach (6.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K). Johnson recorded his second consecutive complete game, his fourth straight double-digit strikeout game and posted the most strikeouts by a Missouri State pitcher since 1969.
• Michael Wacha carried a perfect game into the eighth inning and finished with a complete-game, two-hit shutout, leading Texas A&M to a 4-0 win at Pepperdine. See my report on the Draft Blog for more details.
• Sticking with the complete-game shutout theme, Matthew Reckling (9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K) threw the first of his career in Rice's 1-0 win at Memphis. The Owls pushed across a run in the eighth to beat Sam Moll (7.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER).
• In the weekend's big Conference USA showdown, Ronnie Richardson's eighth-inning RBI double broke a 1-1 tie, propelling No. 21 Central Florida to a 2-1 win against East Carolina. Brian Adkins (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) and Kevin Brandt (8 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER) pitched well for the Knights and Pirates, respectively.
• Kenny Mathews (5.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 11 K) led No. 13 Cal State Fullerton to a 5-3 win against Oral Roberts, clinching the Thursday through Saturday series. Michael Lorenzen had three hits out of the leadoff spot and worked 1.2 scoreless innings to record his eighth save.
• Alex Wood (4.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R) had a start cut short by a weather delay for the second straight week, but Georgia still earned a 1-0 win at Vanderbilt, as Chase Hawkins, Bryan Benzor and Blake Dieterich combined for 5.1 innings of three-hit relief.
• Brady Rodgers (9 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) went the distance in Arizona State's 5-1 win against California. Andrew Aplin had three hits in support of Rodgers, who improved to 4-0.
• Mississippi rode a seven-run seventh to an 11-7 win at Alabama. Alex Yarbrough and Andrew Mistone combined for four hits and seven RBIs to lead the Rebels' 16-hit attack.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog