After a 15-hour work day here in Houston, we'll keep today's roundup short, focusing on the showdowns and upsets in the Top 25:
Top 25 Showdowns
• (1) Florida at (12) Miami: Mike Zunino (4-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 2B, HR) powered the Gators to a 7-5 win, their ninth straight victory against the Hurricanes and 12th in the last 13 meetings between the two rivals. Tyler Thompson and Austin Maddox added three hits apiece, and Maddox (3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K) was overpowering in relief to earn the save. Eric Erickson (5 IP, 9 H, 6 ER) was hit hard for Miami.
• (3) South Carolina vs. (15) Clemson: In an intense battle befitting college baseball's premier rivalry, the Gamecocks scored two in the 11th to beat the Tigers 3-2 in Charleston. Michael Roth (7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K) and Kevin Brady (6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K) were strong in no-decisions, and the Gamecocks got RBI singles from Connor Bright and Sean Sullivan in the decisive 11th. South Carolina center fielder Evan Marzilli saved the game with a sliding catch in the bottom of the inning to thwart Clemson's comeback bid.
Richie Shaffer, battling a groin injury, started at third base and went 2-for-2 with two runs and three walks for Clemson. But Tigers catcher Spencer Kieboom left the game with an elbow injury in a collision at the plate in the 10th, and coach Jack Leggett told reporters he is unlikely to play Saturday.
Movie star Bill Murray, a co-owner of the host low Class A Charleston RiverDogs, was in attendance.
• (21) Texas vs. (5) Rice: The Longhorns finally got their bats going in an 11-8 win against the Owls in the Houston College Classic. See my recap on the College Blog for more on that one, plus Arkansas' 3-1 win against Texas Tech and a 7-4 victory for Houston against Tennessee.
Top 25 Upsets
• (2) Stanford at Fresno State: Aaron Judge (2-for-2, 3 R, 3 RBI) homered twice against first-team preseason All-American Mark Appel (8 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 11 K), leading the Bulldogs to a 7-4 win and handing Stanford its first loss. Justin Haley (3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K) picked up the win with a sterling relief outing.
• Miami (Ohio) at (16) Mississippi: Alex Johnson (4-for-5, R, RBI) and John Crummy (3-for-5, 3 RBI) powered the RedHawks to a 9-8 win against Bobby Wahl (5 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 K) and the Rebels. Nathan Williams (2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K) nailed down the victory with fine work out of the Miami (Ohio) bullpen.
• Oklahoma State at (22) Texas Christian: The Cowboys jumped out to a four-run lead through three innings in support Andrew Heaney (6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 9 K) and held on for a 4-3 win against the scuffling Horned Frogs, who fell to 2-6. Andrew Mitchell (2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) dropped to 0-2 for TCU, which committed three errors.
Around The Nation
• The top college performance of the day is over on the Draft Blog, as Duke's Marcus Stroman struck out a career-high 17 in just seven innings against visiting George Washington.
• College of Charleston opened Southern Conference league play with a 7-1 victory against Elon behind six scoreless innings from senior lefhander Josh Renfro, who struck out eight.
• Pittsburgh rode a strong start from fifth-year senior Matt Iannazzo (8 IP, 7 H, 3 BB, 5 SO) to beat host Coastal Carolina 3-1. Iannazzo won 19 games the last two seasons with just 44 walks in 196 innings pitched, but struggled in his first two 2012 starts before Friday.
• Last weekend's Cinderella, Appalachian State, beat Rider 6-3 in its home opener, with closer Nathan Hyatt notching his fourth save.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog