• Arizona State bounced back from Tuesday's loss with a 10-1 win at Cal State Fullerton on Wednesday, splitting the two-game midweek set. Zach Wilson's three-run homer in the third broke open a 3-1 game, and Riccio Torrez (3-for-5, 3 R) was one of six Sun Devils to post multi-hit games. Alex Blackford (6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K) picked up the win for ASU.
• Florida State played its fifth straight extra-innings game, and took its fourth loss in that stretch, falling 6-4 against Stetson in 11 innings. Ryan Lashley doubled home a run and then scored in Stetson's two-run 11th, helping the Hatters improve to 18-4 on the season.
• Anthony Rendon, limited to DH duties most of this season with a shoulder strain, returned to third base in Rice's 7-2 win against Houston. Rendon went 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI. As he is one of the nation's premier defensive players, his return to the hot corner is obviously a huge boost for the Owls.
• Nevada-Las Vegas earned a big midweek win against UC Irvine, 4-3. Max Javate and Brady Zuniga worked a combined 5.1 shutout innings in relief for the Rebels, who improved to 18-6.
• SEC powers Florida and South Carolina continued to score runs in bunches leading up to the big showdown between the two clubs in Gainesville this weekend. Florida beat Winthrop 10-0; the Gators outscored the Eagles 32-5 in two games this week. South Carolina bludgeoned Rhode Island 17-8. The Gamecocks have scored 41 runs in two wins against College of Charleston and URI this week.
• Banged-up Clemson beat Elon, 9-2. The Tigers are playing without shortstop Brad Miller (out until April with a broken finger), third baseman John Hinson (concussion) and catcher Phil Pohl (illness). Jason Stolz filled in at short but left Wednesday's game with a tight hamstring (which has been nagging him for a while now), but he should play this weekend, according to Clemson.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog