Some highlights from Friday's college baseball action:
• Louisiana State held on to beat Cal State Fullerton, 7-6. Fr. RHP Kurt McCune (6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) was strong for LSU, but the Titans rallied back to take a 4-3 lead against the Tigers' bullpen. LSU surged back ahead with four in the eighth inning against ace Noe Ramirez (7 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 9 K), highlighted by Grant Dozar's pinch-hit, two-run single.
• Virginia Jr. LHP/DH Danny Hultzen (6.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 14 K) continued his utterly dominant start to the season in a 5-0 win at No. 10 Clemson. Hultzen also led the offense with two RBIs. On the season, he's 4-0, 0.66 with 50 strikeouts and four walks in 27 innings, and he's hitting .368/.447/.526 with a team-leading 15 RBIs. If the season ended today, he might be the front-runner for College Player of the Year honors.
• Fellow ACC lefty Sean Gilmartin (7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K) also continued his hot start in Florida State's 3-1 win against Boston College.
• Sticking in the ACC, Georgia Tech's Mark Pope (9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K) threw his second straight complete-game shutout in a 1-0 win against Maryland. Pope has now thrown 25 1/3 scoreless innings; he's 4-0, 0.29 on the season.
• Baylor Jr. RHP Logan Verrett (9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 14 K) might have posted the day's best pitching performance in a 7-0 win against Louisiana Tech.
• Arizona State came from behind to win a road game against Auburn, 8-7. RBI singles by Andrew Aplin and Zack MacPhee in the ninth inning put the Sun Devils ahead, and Mitchell Lambson (2.1 IP, 1 ER, 4 K) got the win.
• Gerrit Cole (7 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 12 K) carried a perfect game into the seventh inning, but Kyle Farmer's three-run homer in that frame propelled Georgia to a 6-2 win over UCLA. LHP Alex Wood (7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K) got the win against Cole.
• A week after giving up three runs against Stanford, Taylor Jungmann (8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K) returned to his stingy ways in Texas' 8-0 win against Brown. Jungmann has not allowed a run in 33 of his 35 innings this year.
• Andrew Gagnon (8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) shut down Rice in Long Beach State's 2-1 win at the AT&T Tournament in San Francisco.
• Andrew Chafin (7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K) outdueled Anthony Meo (6.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) to lead Kent State past Coastal Carolina, 2-0.
• Conrad Flynn (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K) led Tulane past Wichita State, 6-5.
• San Diego upset Connecticut, 3-2. The Huskies send Matt Barnes to the mound today in the rubber game of the three-game set.
• Gardner-Webb upset struggling St. John's, 3-2. The Bulldogs improved to 10-3, while the Johnnies dropped to 5-7. Kyle Hansen struck out 12 over seven strong for St. John's, but both offenses mustered just three hits apiece.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog