• South Carolina won the first game of this weekend's big showdown series against Clemson, 6-3. Michael Roth (7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K) improved to 3-0 for the Gamecocks, who hit three home runs, including Christian Walker's third of the year, a two-run shot in the fifth to put South Carolina ahead for good.
• Taylor Jungmann (8.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 9 K) finally gave up a few runs and fell an out short of his third straight complete game, but he still improved to 3-0 in Texas' 4-3 win against Stanford. Mark Appel (7.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) pitched well but fell to 0-2 for the Cardinal.
• Aces turned in gems all over the place Friday. UCLA's Gerrit Cole (9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K) bounced back from a loss to San Jose State last week by taking a perfect game into the seventh against Nebraska, and the Bruins won 1-0 in 11 innings. The Cornhuskers got six innings of one-hit ball from talented freshman Jon Keller.
• Vanderbilt's Sonny Gray (9 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 15 K) needed just 106 pitches to rack up a career high in strikeouts in a 3-1 win against Brown.
• Oregon's Tyler Anderson struck out 14 in a 5-0 win against Long Beach State, allowing six hits and three walks over eight shutout innings.
• Noe Ramirez yielded just one hit over eight innings, striking out eight and walking two in Cal State Fullerton's 10-1 win against Southern California.
• Seth Maness tied a career high with 11 strikeouts in his first career complete-game shutout. He surrendered just two hits and a walk in ECU's 2-0 win against Pepperdine.
• Top-ranked Florida bounced back from a midweek loss to Florida State by beating Miami 8-3 in Gainesville. Brian Johnson (5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K) earned the win, and Austin Maddox hit his first homer of the season.
• Bobby Shore (9 IP, 8 H, 1 ER) went the distance in Oklahoma's 7-1 win against San Diego. The Sooners improved to 12-0.
• Sean Gilmartin (8 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 11 K) was masterful for Florida State, and Georgia rallied for five runs in the ninth but stranded the bases loaded in the final frame, allowing the Seminoles to escape with a 6-5 win. FSU remained unbeaten at 9-0, while the scuffling Bulldogs fell to 2-7.
• Danny Hultzen (7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K) dominated again in Virginia's 12-0 win against Rider, as the Cavaliers outscored Cornell and the Broncs 24-1 in two games Friday. Hultzen improved to 3-0, 0.87 with a ridiculous 36-1 strikeout-walk ratio in 21 innings.
• Speaking of ridiculous numbers, Kyle Winkler (8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K) improved to 3-0, 0.00 with 19 strikeouts and one walk through 22 innings, as Texas Christian blanked Texas Tech, 7-0.
• Behind a homer and five RBIs from Zach Wilson, Arizona State outslugged Northern Illinois, 10-9.
• North Carolina's Patrick Johnson (7 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K) bested Stony Brook ace Nick Tropeano (5.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 ER) in the Tar Heels' 5-1 win.
• Mark Anderson (9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K) led St. Mary's to a 1-0 upset of No. 25 UC Irvine, which got a solid outing from Matt Summers (6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K).
• No. 14 Cal was also upset, falling 2-1 at San Diego State. Ethan Miller (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K) beat Erik Johnson (6 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K).
• Kent State ace Andrew Chafin (7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 10 K) was brilliant in a no-decision, but Louisville rallied with two in the ninth against the Golden Flashes' bullpen and pulled out a 3-2 win. Matt Koch (8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) pitched well for the Cardinals.
• Mark Pope (9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K) dominated and Jed Bradley (4.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 7 K) labored in Georgia Tech's doubleheader sweep of Rutgers, 10-0 and 9-5.
• Kennesaw State catcher Ronnie Freeman singled in the sixth inning to extend his hitting streak to 38 games, as the Owls won their Atlantic Sun Conference opener against Campbell, 10-2.
• Cal State Bakersfield continued its strong start against power-conference opponents, throttling Kansas 12-0 behind a gem from Mike McCarthy (8 IP, 3 H, 0 R). The Roadrunners improved to 9-2, with seven of their wins coming against Washington, San Francisco, Washington State, Arizona State and Kansas.
• Taylor Ard homered and drove in four, and Adam Conley (7 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K) improved to 3-0 in Washington State's 13-2 win against Oklahoma State.
• Mississippi got a homer and four RBIs from Matt Tracy and another strong start from Matt Crouse (5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER) in a 5-1 win over Tulane.
• Michael Burruss had four hits to lead Georgia Southern past St. John's, 4-3.
• In the Marquee Mound Showdown from Thursday's Weekend Preview, Kyle Putkonen (9 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K) outdueled Mike Hamann (6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K) to lead Samford past Toledo, 3-0. The Rockets won the second game of the doubleheader.
• Tyler Ray (9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K) threw a complete-game shutout to lead Troy past Southeast Missouri State, 9-0. Jordan Underwood (6 IP, 2 H, 0 R) was strong in a no-decision for the Redhawks.
• Hawaii evened its series with Loyola Marymount at one game apiece behind a strong start from Connor Little (7.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER).
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog